Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
'Mayflower II', Stephen Baxter? Try this:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/mayfloweromega.htm

edit: was in the Dozois Year's Best SF 22.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

At least one novel and I think a few short stories by the same guy. There's time travel, except not really; people are travelling to the past, which is actually one of a very large (but not infinite) number of parallel universes that started after ours so they look like the past, but screwing around there won't screw up our universe. Lots of historical characters have been brought to the present including several Jesuses, one of which has a talk show. Probably 90s or 00s.

I don't actually remember liking it that much but it's bugging me now.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

That's the one! I'd completely forgotten the actual plot. Maybe I should reread.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

If it's not that, it might be
The Lore of the Land

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Second one, 'Rocket Boy' fits almost exactly and is online here

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1416521127/1416521127___3.htm

edit well that was pointless.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, that's why I remember it so clearly, because these stones were considered almost an infection, because everything they did was ultimately aimed at creating and launching more of themselves.

David Brin, "Existence"

edit: although that doesn't have 'coprolith'? Hmm.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Chronoliths? Admittedly, all I remember about that book is that it wasn't very good.

Pretty sure they just had inscriptions from the future, not any kind of AI.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Unkempt posted:

An old SF book, 60s or around there. It starts in a magazine office, National Geographic or Nature or something, and they're trying to find their oldest subscriber; someone notices that there's a guy who's had a subscription for around a hundred years. They think it's probably several generations of people with the same name but go and meet him anyway, and of course it turns out it's just one man who's been getting it all that time, and after that I can't remember a thing about the book. Anyone?

Holy poo poo this is over 10 years old. I found it last week, it was 'Way Station' by Clifford D Simak and my description was wrong in all sorts of ways.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Myron Baloney posted:

This is weird as hell, I was watching The Fifth Element and the weird critter that Zorg has in his desk made me remember a (golden age era or just after?) SF short story in which men are getting little pink toothless sucker-mouthed alien critters (which are obviously getting sexually abused) and women are disgusted by them. I also wonder if anyone else thinks the thing in the film is a reference to the story - there are definitely a number of what seem like fond references to classic SF stories.

Could be "All my darling daughters" by Connie Willis. If it isn't, I apologize for bringing it up.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I swear this is a book and not a movie but I can't think where I read up on it. Its a book about a space habitat in this deadend trade route thats falling apart and basically lawless at this point. Something is happening on it and theres a long forgotten chamber buried deep in the station that is the center of it that almost no one remember. Does anyone have an idea on what I have stuck in my head?

Could it be a generation ship story? There's a bunch of them where the nth generation crew have forgotten the mission or even that they're on a ship at all.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Samovar posted:

Good point. Yeah, it's a terrible description, but I can barely remember anything else. Other than that there was some kind of divine light trapped under a rock which killed the badguy? Maybe not a rock, but a millstone?

If I couldn't remember the cover of the book I could swear it was a fever dream.

Are there any words at the top of the cover you can remember?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

As usual I'm looking for a BBC Radio Drama, but they are often based on books so I thought this might be a good place to ask: the story I'm looking for involves a woman walking along a beach and finding a body on some rocks with no tracks leading away. A man stops and they discuss what to do and he decides to walk to the nearest town and call the police, however when he doesn't return she goes and finds that he never actually went. Towards the end we discover that the murderer did not leave tracks because he was in the water on the other side of the rocks hiding.

That's as much as I remember. Does it ring a bell?

There's a Lord Peter Wimsey story with that as the setup, I saw a TV version recently. I'll have a poke around for the title.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_His_Carcase?

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 28, 2022

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

ScienceSeagull posted:

Short story involving a company that creates genetically modified mini-dinosaurs as a sort of designer pet/living toy. They're semi-sapient, and can talk. The story mainly focuses on a shelter for abandoned and neglected mini-dinosaurs. I think there's a bit where the dinosaurs sing a Barney-esque song that they're all genetically programmed to know.

That sounds familiar. I used to have this anthology, and on the basis that I might have read it in there it might be 'Rex' by David Gerrold.

On the other hand I don't think I've still got it and can't find it online so I can't check.

quote:

REX - Have you ever wanted a pet dinosaur? A cute little mini-dino? The T-Rex can be very convenient.

quote:

“Rex” [1993 short story]

Synopsis: The family’s pet Tyrannasaurus Rex becomes another weapon in the war between husband and wife.

quote:

Gerrold, David: "Rex", the only carnivore in spoiled little Jill Fillman's miniature dinosaur collection, has been so overfed that his aggression and size allow him to escape his enclosure regularly, but the greatest toll is on the Fillmans' marriage. Jonathan feels that the main difference between tyrant-lizard and tyrant-child is that Rex eats hearts only once...

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 29, 2022

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

woke kaczynski posted:

These all sound like they're extremely my poo poo and I plan to read them but I don't think any of them are the one I'm thinking of, at least based on the wiki summaries. I realize I forgot to include a key element though, the framing of the story was someone stuck in a time machine that I think could only go forwards in time? So they saw empires rise and fall and I think nukes, and eventually the castle that's emblematic of the stagnant society is built, and no matter how much further in time the person goes they still see it.

I very much appreciate the suggestions so far!

There's a bit in Joe Haldeman's 'The Accidental Time Machine' that could be it, but it's a while since I read the book:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accidental_Time_Machine

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I remember that book. It's the only book I've read where "oh poo poo! It's Jesus! Run!" is a plot point.

Well, I dug it out and gave it a reread and it's not the one the OP was thinking of anyway. It does sound really familiar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Doktor Avalanche posted:

looking for a book whose blurb i read some time ago: it's SF and the MC is some kind of man-machine meld who lands on a planet with magic, but his AI master(?) can only deal with magic by interpreting it as dangerous anomalies in local physics

There's a novella by Adrian Tchaikovsky called 'Elder Race' where the main guy is a technology enhanced human on an alien planet and the natives think he's a sorcerer and interpret everything going on as magic, but there's kind of a parallel text thing going on where the 'sorcerer ' is narrating the same events as science-based. Might not be the one you're looking for but it's pretty good anyway.