Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sonderval posted:

I read this book over 20 years ago, sci fi but I think it starts as fantasy.

At some point they find a bunch of cyborgs underground then at the end of the book they are on a spaceship with a choice of 2 planets to go to. They are different colours, one guy insists they go to one and then it turns out he is an alien/vampire whos was hiding with them from the start.

Beyond that I cant remember a thing.

Exodus from the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe, the last volume of Book of the Long Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

life is killing me posted:

Having real trouble with this one, but I read a series of fantasy novels way back when I was 14 or 15; I'm 32 now and I don't know when the books where originally finally published, though it may have been in the early 00's or late 90's. They depicted a culture very similar to medieval Scottish clan system, and the main character in the first book was named Mouse, whose name was later changed to (I think) Kaelan as he found out he was the son or grandson of a Laird or some such.

I don't know if this is enough to go on, but I believe that the author was a woman. I had enjoyed the books and I'm hoping that they won't end up having been YA fantasy novels as I'd maybe like to read them again.

The Rune Blade series by Ann Marston.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

failing forward posted:

It's a YA book about a girl who gets/buys a "Barbie" and it comes to life. The doll is not evil or anything but it is really spoiled and demanding. If I remember right the doll looks like Barbie but is obvs called something else due to copyright

Probably Caitlin's Holiday or its sequel Doll Trouble by Helen Griffith.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Looks like the story was first told by Joseph Pitton de Tournefort in his book A Voyage into the Levant, but it's been mentioned in many books including Vampires, Burial, and Death. The specific undead creature was called a vrykolakas.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

I know the second one! It's by Damon Knight. With a Whimper, I think. She's immune to the world-ending illness, he had it and recovered, but a side-effect is he gets this muscle-locking tetanus thing and needs her to give him a shot to recover from it. He's sitting there thinking how much he hates her but maybe their daughters will be tolerably fuckable, then goes to the mens' room and locks up there. Where he's going to die, because she's too prudish to ever go in the mens' room....

Other way, it's "Not with a Bang." The other story is "The Curious Adventure of Mr. Bond" by Nugent Barker. The collection would be either Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me or Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Slay Ride, the latter of which has an awesome cover:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

I'm trying to think of a book I read in elementary school. All I can remember is the main character's name is Rory, a new girl moves to town and he's jealous, and they bond over the Aurora Borealis. I think she also ate pizza by putting two slices together, topping side to topping side.

The Hot & Cold Summer by Johanna Hurwitz.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

My grandma had a couple of books from a series when I was a kid. It was from the 1950s and was very (...very very) similar to the Hardy Boys or Johnny Quest but I am 100% certain it was neither of those. All I remember is that there was nuclear powered airplane, a colorful U.S. Navy cook character, and the inside covers had neat blueprints on them.

:shrug:

Sounds like the Tom Swift Jr. series.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'm trying to track down a story I read as a kid in some horror anthology- I thought it was one of the Whispers anthologies but it doesn't seem to be panning out. I think the story was call CHIPS, and it had something to do with a haunted computer. I doubt it was particularly good, but I would be curious to read it again if it rings a bell for anyone!

Probably this:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1023966

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Astrofig posted:

Content: When I was a kid I had a beautifully-illustrated hardcover book about this cat and his (her?) nine lives throughout history. It was from the cat's perspective and went from a pharaoh's cat in Egypt (and the cat's mother saving the pharoah's daughter from a snake, being fatally bitten in the process because the kitten distracted her) to a samurai's cat and surving an earthquake (he nibbled on his master's fingers as they poked out of the rubble and could tell he was still alive because they were warm) to I think a ship's cat in the age of sail? Possibly there was also a bit about living with the Captain on the Isle of Man and a local woman who was born heterochromic despairing that it meant she was ugly?)

This is from Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander but I don't think the rest of that description is, unless you're wildly misremembering it. Time Cat does have chapters in Egypt and Japan but those events don't happen.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I've thought about this short story for some time, and damned if I can remember any pronouns to search for it

”Brooklyn Project” by William Tenn.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 6, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Once upon a time, I read a pulp sorta science fiction story. It was a series of incidents following a reporter who would occasionally investigate this weird crank scientist. The crank always had new schemes that were based off of new ideas, and he had a female sidekick who was also an extremely intelligent con artist.

One time the scheme was her dressed up as a sexy robot, pretending to be a super intelligent computer that knew all human knowledge. She'd make flirty conversation with the crowd of reporters around her to disguise the fact that they had ten experts on a phone line, looking up and feeding her answers. When asked what the longest word in the english language was, she replied there was no such word, because there was a great-grandfather, a great-great-grandfather, and so on.

Another time the pair were big into numerology. She was a numerology themed belly dancer (??) with a four sided gem in her belly button, four being the only honest number because that was the number of letters in the word four. The doctor was saying numbers contained all knowledge, and gave a seven digit number that was a prediction of who would win the presidential election, to inform any of the reporter's readers intelligent enough to decode it. When the reporter saw him later, he pointed out that the readers had figured out how to decode the number into either candidate's name, to the scientist's faux surprise.

The reporter point of view character basically never believed anything the pair said, but was always interested in their schemes, because they were always good for newspaper articles.

I've gotta believe it was written before 1980.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been decades but I'm thinking about that book a lot lately.

Those were columns appearing in Scientific American written by Martin Gardner. The scientist was named Dr. Matrix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Joshua_Matrix

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 22, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looking for a sci-fi short story(?) where aliens observe the Earth and determine that cars are the intelligent creaures and humans are just parasites.

There's an animated short film called What on Earth with that plot. It's not based on a short story.

There's also a poem called "Southbound On The Freeway" by May Swenson with a similar idea.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Witches by Erica Jong?

http://www.ericajong.com/witches.htm

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Biplane posted:

A fantasy (maaybe steampunk-ish?) novel, taking place in a big city in a huge cavern. Maybe everything is underground and the surface is deadly or something. Must have read it about 10-15 years ago, and it was fairly new at the time. The protagonist may have been a woman. Pleaae help me

City of Ember?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I remember reading a sci fi book about a self replicating robot that eventually ends with the last remnants of humanity fleeing the galaxy, knowing that eventually the devices would follow them. Anyone know what it is?

Von Neumann machines going out of control has been used a number of times, though you might be thinking of one of the Revelation Space books by Alastair Reynolds.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ScienceSeagull posted:

Saw this in a StackExchange discussion:

Does anyone know what book/story (or other media) this could be referring to? I feel like I've read a few sci-fi stories with similar premises, but nothing that quite fits.

That happens in Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon but it could be in another book too.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Venus Plus X by Ted Sturgeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Plus_X

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

Agh, what's the title of the kind of recent post-apocalypse book where the narrator turns out to be his best buddy's imaginary friend? Stupid title, was a big thing a couple of years ago. I kept thinking it was The Half-Made World but it's not.

The Gone-Away World.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Probably a long shot, but I'm trying to remember a comic book from the late 90s. Pretty sure it was image. The only thing I remember is a superhuman shows up floating in New York? and they scramble fighter jets to see what's up, and this guy catches one telekinetically and disassembles it into all it's various parts while holding em (and the pilot) in the air.

Think the super guy was black, but I'm not 100% on that. His uniform thing was a red and white bodysuit I think.

Any help's appreciated!

Emissary?

He doesn't disassemble the plane but maybe you're thinking of Dr. Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
"The Things" by Peter Watts?