Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FJG
Jun 26, 2003

poopcutter posted:

I am looking for a book I read about a few months ago but I doubt anyone will know what it is because I have such scanty information to offer.

It was written by a French Catholic bishop or some other kind of luminary back in the 17th or 18th century. He was also a noble, although I cannot remember his rank, and I think he had some illegitimate children. That probably doesn't narrow it down too much.

I think it was a collection of observations on courtly life and it focused on the writer's perception that people are motivated by self-interest or vanity or something interesting like that. I want to say that it was called _Memoirs of whoever_ but I am not sure. It sounded interesting though and I cannot remember what it was called.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld? That sounds like his memoirs. He wasn't a bishop, but his great-uncle of the same name was a very important Cardinal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU