Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Muscle Tracer posted:

Trying to remember the name of a sci fi novel I read about ten years ago, and pretty much the only thing I remember about it is the setting, but it's a pretty unique setting. The spacefaring characters accidentally landed on/in/were absorbed by a massive donut-shaped space station filled with a verdant artificial environment. Because of the station's shape, the horizon curved up away from them and there were huge sheer cliffs leading up to the ceiling on either side.

Other than that... I know the main character was female :shobon:

The setting sounds like Larry Niven's "Ringworld", although I can't remember if the main character was female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
My partner is trying to remember the name of a book she had as a kid, it was an anthology of horror stories aimed at children (8-10 years old maybe). She had it in the early 90s but the copy she had was old, possibly printed in the 70s or earlier, and it was hardcover bound in green fabric with black lettering ( probably, she’s not 100% positive on that detail). Possibly illustrated, she can’t remember.

She remembers two stories in particular:
- Travelers stay at a hotel that seems normal, but in the morning it’s decrepit and there is a moss covered skeleton in the corner
- Someone sees a light in the forest, is transfixed and drawn to it, they end up turning into a goblin/hobgoblin

Does this ring a bell to anyone? She is fairly sure it is not any of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

wheatpuppy posted:

The hotel one might be Bungalow 14 from the Scary Stories for Sleepovers series by Q. L. Pearce?

It’s probably a similar story but that series is too new, she read it between 1990-1992 and it was at an absolute minimum from the mid-80s as her brother also read the same copy about 5 years earlier, and it was an old used copy then. She’s pretty confident it’s from at least the 70s, possibly as old as the 50s

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

navyjack posted:

The Hotel doesn’t ring a bell, but the “turning into a goblin” could be the story “The Yamadan” by Lynne Gessner which is collected in “Baleful Beasts and Eerie Creatures.” Ask if they remember a story about an evil patchwork monkey.

That has a lot of elements that match, but I found a PDF of it online and showed it to her and she said it's definitely not it. Thanks though!