Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Sanford posted:

It is strongly, strongly tied in my mind to another story about a kid getting a job making… a model dinosaur, I think, for a museum. At the end it comes to life and attacks his bully. The two stories might have been a double audio cassette thing but at the time I was reading/listening to 20+ library books a week so I might be falsely conflating them.
This reminds me a lot of The Dinosaur in the Swamp from Southern Fried Rat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just remembered I posted this like 10 years ago and had no luck, maybe someone has some idea now?

I've got one I read when I was a young teenager. I can't remember whether it was a short story or a novel. It was sci-fi and I can really only remember one detail about it. This guy took off from earth on a ship that would be traveling at light speed. At first he would recieve messages from his wife once a week or so, but as he increased up to light speed and time got all screwy he would be getting them every second or something like that. That's really all I can remember. Anyone have any ideas?

If you reverse genders, it sounds just like The Starlight Crystal by Christopher Pike.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Holy poo poo, I think that's it, I remember the cover! I have no idea why I could have picked this up, 10 year old me probably saw it at the library and thought the cover was cool. Been looking for this for 10+ years, thanks!

Booo no ebook available!

While we're at, after sharing this freak out with my sister who also freaked out, she asked me this one which I don't really remember-

"It's a Illustrated Kids story book but it's kind of creepy, the part I remember is a girl is sent away from a house but they eventually find their way back through the forest but when they get back it's like their mother has aged horribly and they sent them away for a reason."
I'm so, so happy to help! I still have the copy I got as a kid when it came out. It's my all-time favourite YA book and I still reread it in my late 30s. I'm slowly collecting all the neon era Pikes at thrift stores. They're definitely around, and online, too! Here's a not terrible price on AbeBooks if you're in the US.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure if it was the book you want (in fact checking I don't see Gilgamesh or Beowulf) but the best book of that nature I know of is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Loved-Folktales-Anchor-Folktale-Library/dp/0385189494

Oh poo poo, I had this and totally forgot it existed! Thanks for the reminder!