Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spathi
Sep 28, 2003

by Fragmaster
Some old(or maybe not so old, I'd say I read it 8-10 years ago, but stylistically it seemed to be 60s-70s) sci-fi novel or novella. The basic premise as I recall is a human space ship exploring the remains of an extinct alien civilization on some planet. The only remains of the alien race or their civilization are the buildings they apparently used to stage a species-wide suicide.

At some point in the book a hostile alien species shows up in a ship and attacks the humans. There's one scene I vaguely remember, in which the hostile aliens transport one of the human crew to their vessel and rip off either a lip or his tongue and eat it. That's all that's stuck with me.

Book #2, around the same time period, young adult fantasy. Protagonist is a girl in a family of "grey" necromancers who lay the undead to rest, the novel's world also has "black" necromancers".
edit: That's it. I've never actually read it, I just recall reading a synopsis of it and it sounding interesting, guess I got the time frame a bit off.

Spathi fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spathi
Sep 28, 2003

by Fragmaster
It's a sci-fi novel or novella. It begins with a research ship of some sort coming to investigate a planet on which the native intelligent alien species seem to have staged mass suicide some time in the past. If I recall correctly the only structures on the planet are believed by the team to be some sort of disintegrators used by the aliens.

After some time investigating the planet, a ship of unknown hostile aliens appears. There's one scene in particular I half-remember from right around this point, the hostile aliens transport one of the crew members from the human ship to theirs where he immediately begins to asphyxiate as the atmosphere isn't breathable, and then one of the aliens pulls off his lip and swallows it.