Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I remember reading a book when I was in middle school (around the mid to late 90's). I think it was about an island ruled by kids and whoever the head kid was had a rope with rocks in it he would beat the other kids with. I really don't remember much else except the kid the story was about rising up finally to take over the island.

edit: Anyone have any ideas/suggestions to check out? This has been bugging me for awhile and all my searches have come up with nothing.

ExCruceLeo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

I remember reading a book when I was in middle school (around the mid to late 90's). It was about an island ruled(?) by kids and whoever the head kid was had a rope with rocks in it he would beat the other kids with it while they were in a circle. I really don't remember much else except the kid the story was about rising up finally to take over the island.

Anyone?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

nemotrm posted:

Probably Lord of the Flies.

Sort of the same but in the book I remember there was no plane crash or anything. There was a group already on the island (maybe like a prison for kids?) and the main character got to the island somehow else.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I still haven't found the book I have been searching quite awhile for. Here is another plot outline someone else (who is apparently searching for the same book) put on another board.

quote:

The boy is part of a large group of boys who are overseen by a man who was once a boy in the group. They are taken to the mainland to serve as slaves. The boy becomes a leader of the others and has a loyal companion who either protected him, or was protected by him. The boy is different from the others in his courage and resilience. He is ultimately chosen to be the next overseer, but he and his friend escape the island and go to the mainland.

Once they are there, they go (are sent?) on a quest to somewhere very cold (lots of ice and snow). A beautiful girl shelters them and readies the boy to claim his throne as king (some kind of prophecy). He lives with her and becomes her lover. The faithful friend loves her, too. At the end, very unexpectedly, the boy dies and the friend becomes king.

Any ideas?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

I still haven't found the book I have been searching quite awhile for. Here is another plot outline someone else (who is apparently searching for the same book) put on another board.

Any ideas?

I finally found it. Wings of a Falcon by Cynthia Voight.

A great weight has been lifted from my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I have been trying to think of the name of this book and I am going to feel like an idiot when someone tells me within two seconds.

Guy is shipwrecked or something and a hurricane comes through and he ties himself to the tree.

Edit: Found it, The Cay.

ExCruceLeo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 26, 2009