Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
I am trying think of a book/short story which I read recently. It was about a woman, with her young son, who left her abusive husband in Philadelphia. They traveled to St. Paul, MN down the Mississippi river to someplace in Kansas where they set up a farm. The husband found them via the Pinkerton firm, and they fled to Alaska to look for gold via San Francisco and Seattle. The major thing I remember about the book/short story was that a few times a crow/raven would tell her 'no gold' which would give her a hint as to what to do next (leave without going to the bank, there is no gold to be found, etc.). If anyone could help me figure out the name of this book/short story that would be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

Anyone?

Probably Lord of the Flies.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

nemotrm posted:

I am trying think of a book/short story which I read recently. It was about a woman, with her young son, who left her abusive husband in Philadelphia. They traveled to St. Paul, MN down the Mississippi river to someplace in Kansas where they set up a farm. The husband found them via the Pinkerton firm, and they fled to Alaska to look for gold via San Francisco and Seattle. The major thing I remember about the book/short story was that a few times a crow/raven would tell her 'no gold' which would give her a hint as to what to do next (leave without going to the bank, there is no gold to be found, etc.). If anyone could help me figure out the name of this book/short story that would be wonderful.

It turns out it was "The Guardian" by Joe Haldeman.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Sci-fi book about a young (6 or 8 or something) boy who is shipped off to space to go into training to become a commander. During his training he has to do all these tactical simulations and mock battles. At the end of the book it is revealed that the mock battles were real and that he won the war which they thought was impossible.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Lipumira posted:

Enders Game? Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enders_game

Thanks.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
It might be a Douglas Adams: I am thinking of a book where they come across a village where it is customary to store the mummified remains of the ancestors within their houses. The protagonist takes a sample of the remains, with a knife I think, and it turns out that they are still alive, I think.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
I think it was written by Arthur C. Clarke, Joe Haldeman, Robert Sawyer or Neal Stephenson. The only thing I really remember is that at the end of the book an international law is put into place where no country can have more nukes than any other, so every time France disposes of a nuke Russia and the US have to as well.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Rocambole posted:

I haven't read it for years either, but from what I remember it's extremely strange. Kids and teacher are taken to a sort of experimental prison camp to be killed off one by one, the guards are these weird emotionless guys who have sex with each other in the breakroom (no, I'm not kidding, 70s kids' book :wtc: ) - I may have to track down a copy just to see if it is any good. It seems to be in the William Sleator/House of Stairs vein, if that helps.

And this is Nine Hundred Grandmothers by RA Lafferty. It's online at http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/lafferty/lafferty1.html

(e: or if it was darker it could be one of the episodes in Joe Haldeman's All My Sins Remembered - it ends with the critically injured bad guy being put into the same kind of suspended animation.)

It was Haldeman, thanks.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Hughlander posted:

It was also included as a plot device in the end of Tools of the Trade also by Joe Haldeman.

I think this was the real one I remembered because I don't think I read A Modest Proposal.

nemotrm fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 8, 2008

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
I am trying to remember the name of a scifi book which had a similar premise to the new show Dollhouse. People could be implanted into bodies, called 'skins' I think. The skins were usually criminals who were forced to give up their bodies for the period of their incarceration. The personalities each retained their muscle memory and special neuro-enhancements.

The main plot dealt with tracking down the assumed assassin of a multi-billionaire. There was a sideplot about how hotels were automated and there were no attendants, simply a gun turret in the lobby to keep unwanted people away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Hobnob posted:

That's Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

Thanks.