Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
My friend was telling me about a series of books he read as a kid about an evil wizard who at some point heard the narrator describing the scenes, then realized he could break the fourth wall and become the narrator, thus omnipotent in the story itself. He said the series' titles all had the word wizard or some synonym thereof in the title, but couldn't remember what the books were.

They sounded kind of good, or at least like they might be a good mindfuck. Any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
I vaguely remember a short story (or maybe it was a short film?) that focused around the night-time murders of some people in San Francisco (or somewhere else?). Before they were killed they always heard a loud rhythmic crash coming down the street, and it turned out that someone was dropping a bowling ball down the street from the top of the hill, killing people below.

I may have messed up a lot of the details, but the "bowling ball bouncing down a hilly street and killing people" thing is basically what it boils down to.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

ImJasonH posted:

I vaguely remember a short story (or maybe it was a short film?) that focused around the night-time murders of some people in San Francisco (or somewhere else?). Before they were killed they always heard a loud rhythmic crash coming down the street, and it turned out that someone was dropping a bowling ball down the street from the top of the hill, killing people below.

I may have messed up a lot of the details, but the "bowling ball bouncing down a hilly street and killing people" thing is basically what it boils down to.

For the record I found out what this was, after some more searching. It's one of the short stories from Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. Anyway, carry on!

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
This one's a movie. The only thing I can remember is that one of the characters had a job in Virginia for a while, and as a result of his crushing boredom there, he learned to draw all the counties in Virginia from memory.

I haven't seen Melvin Goes to Dinner in a while, was it that? If not, what was it?

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

therattle posted:

There is a whole thread in Cinema Discusso for this.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Oh, my bad. Posted there, thanks for the tip!