Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Okay, a friend of mine is trying to find this book he read back in '01- he thinks it had been republished around then for the first time since it came out, way back in the early 20th century.

The subject of the book itself is very vague: It's basically just a revised history of famous figures, like Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Charlemagne. It's tongue-in-cheek, but historically accurate.

But what makes it more notable is that it was written by some recluse who lived in Greenwich Village, NY, back in the 1920s/30s/40sish (pre-war). The sort of guy who read everything and then kept newspapers stacked around the house.

Any ideas?

ETA: Oh wait, never mine. it's "The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody", by Will Cuppy. Which came up really early in my searches, but my friend didn't think it was him and so we went past it looking for something more obscure.

Jezebel fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 8, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Okay, in my high school library was a scifi-ish YA short story collection that I read several times out of boredom. The stories were by different people, and it might have had a "great stories of 19xx" title or something. The cover just had the title in a really bright color (yellow?) on a blue (?) background?

Anyway, I only really remember one of the first stories. It's about some teenage girl who lives in a culture where people have created artificial wings or something, for fun. But you can't weigh more than a certain amount to be able to fly, so once you get older you have to stop. And she's torn between starving herself and still being able to fly, or eating a hamburger and growing.

There might have also been a story about some people renting artificial ears (and maybe noses) because they couldn't hear or something?

I should just go back and visit the library; I bet it hasn't changed in eight years. The book's probably still on the same drat shelf.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Elohssa Gib posted:

2041 a collection edited by Jane Yolen
http://www.amazon.com/2041-Stories-Science-Fiction-Writers/dp/0440218985
Don't know about the copy you're thinking of but this is the version I have and the flying story is called "If I had the Wings of an Angel" by Joe Haldeman, and the other is "Ear" by Jane Yolen

Yes! Thanks, that was fast. Funny, if the version in the library had the same ridiculous cover as the amazon version I might never have picked it up.