Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is maybe made up, but I saw a horror short story mentioned in an exchange on Twitter, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is:
https://twitter.com/hmnprsn/status/1030881245083750400
and
https://twitter.com/hmnprsn/status/1030895682087923712
from a printed collection of short stories, probably pre-2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

lifg posted:

Definitely not what you're thinking, but as long as we're taking about evil balloons stealing kids: https://youtu.be/7jksRQcI9NA

Don Hertzfeldt is a national treasure.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Schadenboner posted:

I’m willing to bet it was the 1992 edition of Lawrence Fennelly’s
Effective Physical Security: Design, Equipment, and Operations.

You can read a lot of pages of that on its listing on Amazon, it looks like.
https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Physical-Security-Equipment-Operations/dp/0750693908

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Schadenboner posted:

DePaul also has access to the current version as an ebook. Looks this this is it!

:tipshat:

Aw, nice.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Runcible Cat posted:

Anyone remember the name of that terrible novel about a MANLY MARINE who goes back to college and ends up teaching all the ~snowflakes~ to defend themselves against ~TERRORIST ATTACK~? Ostensibly written by some old pulp writer but actually written by his psycho chud daughter?

Trigger Warning?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Buried alive posted:

Long shot, but here we go.

I saw this in a bookstore years ago and didn't pick it up. It had a dark blue cover. It was titled "The thinking person's guide to math and astronomy" or something like that. It opened with some examples of different ways to describe a chess board or sets of dominoes or something and narrowed it down to a single statement that encapsulated all of them. The whole thing was an exercise in communicating the meaning behind the phrase "simple is beautiful".

I don't know what this is, but I'm hoping someone else does, I'd like to read that.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’m having trouble finding a short story that I think I originally found linked on the forums somewhere. It’s about a person walking down the street of a city and suddenly being in like a facade of a city, where no doors are openable and they can see shadows of people in the windows but they never communicate or leave the buildings. The main character spends years in this place and encounters other people like his/herself who also got lost in it but their encounters are vague and mostly just wondering about the place they’re in and how they got there or how to get out. It’s not really scary, just kind of unsettling. The main character eventually rounds a corner and comes back to the real world and mentions how there’s always roads or alleys you can go down that might lead you to the strange purgatory place at random. I can’t seem to string together the correct words to find it on google

That's not The Backrooms, is it?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

threedaycrash posted:

I have been trying to track down a short story/novella that I read a few years ago to no avail. The story centered around a crazy drive in theater that started out as nothing too special but ended up having multiple screens and playing all sorts of movies. It attracted all sorts of bikers and weirdos and sounded like a punk's dream. The local holy rollers decide to mount a campaign against it and managed to not only shut it down but have it demolished with the intent to build a nice new church on the site. I want to say the drive was named The Zone or something like that but in a last move of defiance it swallows up the townspeople that worked so hard to destroy it. The whole thing had a very 80's vibe to it and I know it doesn't sound like a horror story but it really ramped up at the end. I've tried googling The Zone, drive-in theater, and even threw in the detail of the chili the owner is famous for since it gets mentioned frequently in the story but have had no luck. Help?

EDIT: wrong forum sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

could someone please pm me the story

Edit: Thanks!

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 19, 2020