Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Myst posted:

I continuously forget what this book I read a few years back was called. It was the first in a series, I think, and the others had yet to come out so I forgot about it. It was a fantasy book from a few years back.

It was set in a winter setting and featured various clans, very celtic like. Long house meetings and such. The main character, I think, went by the name of Raven. He was beginning to develope a mystic-like ability to hunt by sensing the heartbeats of an animal/person from a distance and being able to shoot an arrow into it. He had a brother who was a war hero or some such, I think.

There was also a city in the story, which had an evil patriarch kind of guy. And it flashed to a huge tower every so often where the evil patriarch had kept a man in solitude for years and years stuck far underground and he had odd revelations and visions. I think he managed to get free at the end of the book.

Anyway, that's all I can really gather. It was a pretty neat book and i'd like to re-read it and follow up on the series if I could figure out what the hell it was.
J V Jones' totally grim and frostbitten series starting with A Cavern Of Black Ice.

Wow, I can't believe I actually managed to identify one of these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Please help! I read a book a while ago about a world like ours, with modern technology and the same political set-up and so on, where magic suddenly begins to work, and all kinds of mythical creatures show up and start causing havoc. It was definitely set in the UK, and was quite scary - I think at one point a character was being chased by one of the black dogs of legend. Giants, trolls, goblins etc all appeared and the police and army were unable to cope. Technology also suddenly became a lot less reliable.

It was the first of a series (IIRC) and I'd like to read the rest, as it's an interesting concept, and was quite well-executed.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

LittleSunshine posted:

Mark Chadbourn's Dark Age trilogy? http://www.markchadbourn.net/books.htm and scroll down a bit.

It's not that one. :(

...but it is the Age of Misrule trilogy instead, which can be found by scrolling down even further! Thank you, thank you, thank you, they're all on order from Amazon now, and I have books to fill my imminent post-Malazan void.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Vitae posted:

This has been bugging me for a while..
I'll try to recall as much of the book as I can, I read it in middle school.

Kids in a really awful situation, world gone corrupt and everyone fends for themselves, living in small apartments scrounging for basic necessities. Kids find some sort of virtual reality device, transports them to a new world where everything is awesome, they become addicted to this virtual reality world.

This is all I remember of the book, I probably read it somewhere around the early 90's.
Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I think I know the one you're talking about. But can't remember what it's called, either. :( By an Australian author? If it's the same one, the game they play ends up taking them to a deserted new planet with none of the problems of the old one (pollution, crime etc) and they call it "Gift" or something like that? Turns out the VR game was all part of a government scheme to populate new planets, too.

I also think this book was named in a recent "post-apocalyptic books" thread but bugger me if I can find its name now.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

mania posted:

It may also have been one of the Famous Five. I vaguely remember a cave that was only accessible at low tide.

They go to Kirrin Island a lot, which is owned by George (kinda). In one book - the one with the evil housekeeper - they pack up some supplies and run away to live on the island for a bit. That was always my favourite FF book.

Ugh Enid Blyton why must your formulaic and prissy books still occupy my headspace decades after I read them!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

Number one is The Serial Garden by Joan Aiken. It's part of the Armitage family series. The kid just needed one more box to free the woman trapped in the tiny paper village. It's pretty :suicide:.

You beat me to it! Of all Joan Aiken's wonderful short stories, that's the one I remember the clearest. I will have to dig up her anthologies when I'm next at my parents' house.

Fake edit: Wow, all the Armitage Family stories have been collected together in one book! Hello, birthday present :D http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Garden-Complete-Armitage-Selection/dp/1931520577

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Rylen posted:

A few years back I was told about a book I "absolutely had to read". The plot involves all of the smart people in the world packing up and either living underground or at one of the poles (the fellow who suggested it couldn't remember which).

These smart people were also having children at a slower rate (or not at all) compared to the stupid folks back on the main land/above ground.

I don't have more than that to go on, as the man who insisted I read it has passed away. :(

It's probably an older book (at least 30 years old I reckon). I'd love to read it but I haven't a clue on how to locate this mysterious book. Hopefully it rings a bell with someone and I'll get lucky! :D

I haven't read it, but could it be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand?

(Here I have to add in something an LF poster said recently: Who cleans Galt's john?)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Science fiction short story.

A child is asking his father questions about things like "why is the sky blue" and whatnot, but the father doesn't know and is frustrated when he tries to think, by things like this buzzing noise in his ears. The father was worried about his child because of some sort of intelligence test that the government runs, and worries about if his kid was going to "pass" or not.

I seem to remember reading it in a collection, but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere.

Does the kid get killed at the end for exceeding his intelligence quota? There was a story with that plot in my GCSE Eng Lit anthology.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

angelicism posted:

Fantasy book.

There is something like 4 or 5 tribes or kingdoms and for whatever reason they need to pick a new overlord and the way this is done is one person from each tribe/kingdom is chosen by some special cat/lion/etc and they have to perform a number of difficult tasks. One of the tasks was something about panning salt out of the salt fields? Whatever that means.

Anyway some random young guy gets picked to be one of the competitors by the magic cat despite the fact that it's usually big older burly guys, and he obviously by the end of the book succeeds.

There's something about how important cats are to this country/land and I think at some point he gets bitten by one of the big cats and it leaves a scar on his wrist or something?

This could be a total stab in the dark here, but it sounds like it could be by Andre Norton? She wrote lots about cats (and the story description rings a very faint bell with me, too!).

Edit: In fact, thinking about this more, I am fairly sure it's Norton, and that I've read it, too. Goodness knows what it's called, though.

Edit 2: A bit of Googling has led me to think it could be The Mark of the Cat. Have a read of the descriptions on this page and tell me if they ring a bell :)

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 22, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

angelicism posted:

I'm in awe of how you managed to figure this out from my haphazard description.

Well, cats in fantasy are pretty common (insert tired and clichéd crazy cat lady joke <here>) but Norton is always my go-to cat writer, and the salt/wound reference sounded familiar. And as I said, the more I thought about it, the more I suspected I'd read the same story; then it was a quick leap to an AN bibliography, a scan for promising titles, a right-click google of "Mark of the Cat", and Bob's your uncle, as they say. :)

I'd actually like to read the sequel(s?), as I remember liking MotC, but the anthology with them in is going for silly money on Amazon. Sigh.

Glad I could help, anyway. :glomp:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm glad to see this thread. Contact is on, and it reminded me of a book I read when I was younger.

I was fairly young when I read this. I'm fairly sure I was probably eight or nine, so 12 years ago or so. It was already in trade paperback, but still on a standalone spinning rack when I read it, so it was fairly new, and something worth highlight.

The premise was something close to Contact, from what I recall. A lady scientist at some facility is doing the whole listen and record and attempt to decipher space noise and whatnot.

She (and maybe a team with her) discover a pattern or signal coming from Sine waves (?) or something, possibly even naturally occurring from the Earth, or areas on the planet.

Anyway, this discovery leads her, along with some bad guys following her to a wormhole, which, for some reason I believe, was outside an old German concentration camp. This wormhole sucks her, part of her team, possibly, and a baddie and zips them across the universe.

Now the more memorable parts to the novel begin.

The chick is zipped off to a "dead planet" there was no life, but only remains of an abandoned, advanced civilization.

Another guy is sent to a jungle-ish planet with primitive occupants. They treat him like nobility, shower him in foods and girls and gifts, and whatever. Then they sacrifice him to their god.

The bad guy that got sucked into this hole gets sent to a Hades type planet, where some nefarious dude condemns him to a painful existence.

That's all I really remember. The chick possibly makes it back to earth.

Did it have some connection to Kabbalah? I think I read this too - it was a really bad book. The wormhole thing is in the grounds of Auschwitz, and the scientist linked up with an old Torah scholar who was investigating a 'miracle' at Auschwitz, where a number of prisoners disappeared through the wormhole. Then at the end, on the hell-planet, you find out that the chief torturer is one of the escaped Jewish prisoners who has for some reason become the most evil guy there. Does this sound familiar?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Why yes, that does ring a faint bell.

I googled "science fiction book planet wormhole Kabbalah" and found it - Dante's Equation by Jane Jensen. Think that's probably the one.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Darth Brookz posted:

When I was younger there was this book in the comedy section at bookstores about a guy who would write fake letters to people/corporations and get a real response back. One page would feature the note he wrote the other would be like a photocopy and transcript of the one he would receive back.

I've tried goggling various parts of what I posted but haven't found any clues about an author or title.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think you mean The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper. (Found via Unkempt's Wikipedia link.)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

This one has been annoying me for a while!

I read it maybe 15 years ago. The book is set in the prehistoric world, and there is a tribe at the centre of it. It's a cold and wintry setting, perhaps in a forest. Twin boys are born - one of them is good and strong and tall and handsome, the other is evil and dark and weak and runty and so on. There's something about a raven feather, too. They grow up as rivals, and I think they're both in love with the same girl? Anyway, the shaman of the clan (who might be the runty twin - I'm not sure) rapes her, and she runs away, but I think she miscarries. Then another tribe comes into it somehow. I think there are light fantasy aspects (with prophecies, visions and so on) but mostly it's played straight.

I'm sorry this is so vague. For years I thought it could be the Jean Auel books, but it's not.

I think the paperback had a blue-ish cover with a picture of mammoths on it?

It was also a terrible book. Even little 12-year old me could work that much out. I'd like to find it again for the comedy badness value.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Starblind posted:

That sounds like the Gears' People of the Wolf. There's a whole series of them.

It definitely is, I looked up the cover and it's blue with mammoths. It's gotta be it.

Thank you so much!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

A fantasy book (jeez, a goon asking for help identifying a fantasy book, there's a huge surprise :rolleyes: ), probably early-mid 90s.

Protagonist is a boy/young man learning magic. The colour green is very important - I think it might be the magical colour?

Anyway, the villain takes away the hero's power of speech - all spells are chanted/sung/recited, so with no voice, he can't cast any spells. Hero goes away for a few years, and then somehow learns how to cast spells without speaking/singing - so he can come back and defeat the bad guy.

Sorry for vagueness of the description. Hopefully someone can help - this book has been persistently bugging me for years now.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I talked about a sci fi short story in class last night, and now I really want to track down the author/title so I can email it to the tutor, who seemed really interested in the story's premise.

It's a short story from an anthology by a big-name author. It's set in the future, and physical books have been replaced (and destroyed in the process maybe?) by a supercomputer which stores all of humanity's literature on it (not sure about the other arts). Anyway, the computer crashes (perhaps there's a hint of sabotage?) and all of that store of knowledge is lost.

There is a strong reference to Shakespeare's line from Romeo and Juliet that "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - there is a janitor/caretaker guy (?) who happened to glance at the screen and read that line before the crash, and so he is the only human left who knows anything about Shakespeare.

It miiiiight be by Arthur C Clarke (but no promises). Help please! :)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

WastedJoker posted:

'Fraid I can't help you, but your description made me think of a series I read and quite enjoyed. The story follows a slave who is the only one who can help the ruling family's scion with his demon-haunted dreams. The slave is a demon killer in his dreams, which is how you fight demons in this world.

The prince he's helping starts off a terrible person but gradually learns humility and humanity thanks to the slave. In the end he leads a rebellion against his despotic father. (He might also be turned into a tiger at one point?) The slave is at first forced to help him, but they end up working together to save the slave's people.

The books had a sort of Eastern-flavoured setting, while the people that the slave was from were characterised as humble shepherd types, very lowly and not warrior-like at all. The series was written by a female author, I think.

Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Elohssa Gib posted:

Carol Berg's The Rai-Kirah series

Transformation (ISBN 0-451-45795-1) (2000)
Revelation (ISBN 0-451-45842-7) (2001)
Restoration (ISBN 0-451-45890-7) (2002)

Idonie posted:

The author is Carol Berg; I'm afraid I don't remember the titles but they're relatively recent (last 15 years) so Goodreads or Amazon or something should tell you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a late Christmas present ;)