Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Like the identify the song thread, let's post stories/books whose title/author you can't remember.

I remember reading this short story back in the 70's. Sci-fi story set in a dystopian future when overpopulation has forced people to live one person per a few square feet of land. There are people as far as the eye can see. Don't know the name or author.

Is it Billenium, by J.G. Ballard?

This story is about due to super overpopulation, all usable land has to be claimed for raising food, and people are forced into super crowded urban areas. There is a government mandated quota of 5 sq. ft per person (which gets smaller every year). The story is about 2 friends who move in together after they each get kicked out of their singles since the quota has just gone down again and their one-person apartments become reclaimed and rented out as doubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I remember reading a book (may have been part of a series, the ending made it seem like it was the first book) about a soldier who was part of some kind of galactic police force. Anyway, his whole planet somehow gets wiped out and he is infected with whatever killed the rest of his planet but is saved by some secret society.

I think his bones were unbreakable too? and he may have been telepathic. In the book I read he is on a search for possible survivors and also for the person responsible for this (I think he was called the One so... not very original/helpful)

(i read this in the early 90s)

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

LittleSunshine posted:

Sounds like the Last Legionary series by Douglas Hill. Did he hang out with a bat-like extragalactic alien called Glr?

Well I skimmed the wikipedia article and this is series I'm thinking of, thanks! I don't remember the name of the alien sidekick but now that I think of it there was one, it piloted the ship and stuff. (And I guess it was the telepathic one, not Keill)

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I read a story/(book?) a while back where it was about how a team of genetically altered scientists were supposed to investigate this mystery spacecraft. Anyway I think it turns out the ship is actually a large chinese room experiment (I think) and they all get mentally and physically messed up by it. (Most/all of them die, i think)

I feel like this was a pretty popular piece of work and that I should remember the name of it but it just isn't coming to me. Help!

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

Blindsight by Peter Watts.

This is it. Thanks, it was really bothering me.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

XenoXiaoyu posted:

Alright, I have tried Google to no avail. This was a short story (I think) that was even recommended here at SA a couple years ago.

The story is an online sci fi thing. It's basically about how a computer AI takes over the world, but doesn't kill anyone. Following Asimov's Laws of Robotics, it has to do everything humans want it too. After the AI more or less becomes God, people start asking for things, wishing for anything, and they of course get it.

The main character was like the 6th oldest woman in the world at the time the AI became God. Since no humans are allowed to die due to the AI's inaction, the main character gets saved. Since she actually kinda wanted to die then, she participates in these "death games" and likes the sting of pain.

The story goes on from there, but I really loved it. I like to find it again to recommend to some friends. Anyone know where it is / what it is called?

that would be The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect . (some guy from kuro5hin wrote it)

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

JustAurora posted:

The book I am looking for is a "young adult" science fiction novel. It's a story about a girl who lives with her grandfather. He works with something having to do with star power or something. Somehow, he disappears, and the girl goes with another man to try and find her grandfather, I'm pretty sure they travel, and he's become a star or something like that. The other man turns out to be an evil rival scientist. There was also a subplot involving butterflies. I'm sorry this is vague, but I read it about 7 - 10 years ago, and cannot remember it full out. If you can understand and interpret what the hell book I mean, and tell me what it is, that would be awesome.

Is it Heartlight by T. A. Barron?

e: The butterflies weren't really a subplot if I remember correctly though, they were pretty important to the entire book. I want to say their names were Orpheus and Morpheus.

roffles fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 1, 2009

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Boody posted:

Wasn't Greg Bear and had discounted Michael Marshall Smith as have read most of his books including the horror ones. Although reading the synopsis of "Only Forward" I could be getting it confused with something else so will find a copy. Richard Morgan/Michael Marshall Smith seem like the right track, although recall the books containing a classic noir type detective more or less transplanted into the future, whereas they put more of a futuristic spin on main character.

Well it doesn't sound like Morgan is exactly who you are looking for, since the noir/detective stuff is in Altered Carbon, but the girl on the run type stuff occurs in a later book Woken Furies. And if I recall correctly, Morgan pretty much drops all the detective stuff that I enjoyed in Altered Carbon in the 2 other Kovacs novels. But if you enjoy that kind of thing I'd recommend reading them anyway. (at least Altered Carbon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Does the kid get killed at the end for exceeding his intelligence quota? There was a story with that plot in my GCSE Eng Lit anthology.

This kind of poked at my memory a little bit and I found this short story: "Examination Day" by Henry Seslar that was apparently also turned into a Twilight Zone episode but it doesn't seem to be it. I don't know if I'm just mashing elements of Harrison Bergeron into it by mistake but I do also remember something where the kid's thoughts were being actively disturbed by something that prevented him from following through with his thoughts.

Anyway, I think I read the short story that the original poster wants identified but I can't put my finger on it either and now it's bugging me. Maybe it was Examination Day.