Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Jungle Bus posted:

Anyone know what book he's talking about

The Golden Age trilogy by John C. Wright.

It's not that he went insane and now routinely talks with the Virgin Mary, although he did seem to have a religio-mystical experience that prompted his conversion (see the comments to this blog post, in which he describes that experience). He is currently a Catholic.

Anyway, going from Objectivist to Catholic sounds like an improvement in my book. I wonder how it will affect his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

hambeet posted:

Were they the only type of people doing books like this that you know of?

Perhaps your book is mentioned somewhere in the blog Paleo-Future.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

This is a long shot, but I remember a book that was shown to me that you could read in a circle, as in you could start reading from any point in the book and it would flow nicely till the page prior to the one you started on. I have no idea what it looks like, or what it was about, or even when the book was created. I'm not expecting an answer, but google has failed me and this seemed like it might work. Thanks and good luck, I guess.

Maybe Hopscotch by Cortázar?

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

PrinceofLowLight posted:

I've never read this book/series/short story, but I've read about it. It's supposed to be very important in the history of a certain kind of sci-fi/fantasy. It's basically about a massive arcology on a planet where it's always night.

William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land. A seminal work in the Dying Earth subgenre, full of powerful imagery and, sadly, absolutely wretched writing.

You may be interested in Awake in the Night, a shorter, more legible story by another author set in the same universe.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

PrBacterio posted:

The second one was a short story about a group of people who were put into a series of virtual reality simulations as a test to see who among them would be the most qualified to become the next ruler of the galaxy (or something similar). The part of it I remember most vividly was that in the final scenario they were put in, they had to undergo some incredibly vicious and prolonged tortures while keeping some piece of information a secret. It then turned out, once the test was over, that the only guy who had passed all of the tests (because he was the only one who was able to resist those tortures) still wasnt selected for the post, because the judges had decided some other qualification to be more important after all.

That's Jack Vance's "The Brain of the Galaxy", also known as "The New Prime". You can find the story here.

Ignoranus posted:

The computer writes a story that's basically the same as the story up until that point, except the characters are more blunt and more dirty. They go through the same thing, three or four more times, and each time the story is darker, shorter, blunter, and the characters are more direct. The very last story is something really short, just "Hope." Then it has "THE END" five times in a row (one for each story).

Sounds like a cool story. I don't know the name, but perhaps you can find it listed the Recursive Science Fiction page.

criptozoid fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 18, 2008

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Morlock posted:

The Girl in the Golden Atom is kind of similar - scientist with super-microscope sees life (and a cute girl) on an atom and shrinks himself down to find her. Maybe that?

The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O'Brien has a similar premise.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

DarkDobe posted:

The premise is based around a Hive of insectile creatures inhabiting a large asteroid near human space. Several humans - male and female lead characters - are sent as ambassadors and researches to study the seemingly-neutral creatures.

"Swarm" by Bruce Sterling.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005
William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land? Not what I would call hard science fiction, though.

Maybe you saw one of the images in this site?

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Ghost Hat posted:

The premise is this man inherits an android. He makes money by loaning the android to various companies. Only problem is, whenever the temperature rises above a certain point, the android goes psycho and kills people. Because the android is the man's only source of income, he always takes the android and runs away to some new place to set up shop.

Alfred Bester's "Fondly Farenheit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

navyjack posted:

It's a sci-fi short story about a criminal of some kind who is critically injured when his stolen spaceship crashes on an uncharted planet. As his body, paralyzed except for partial movement of one arm lays there, it becomes an object of worship for a bunch of teeny tiny aliens who live at 100x speed, use the peeled skin from his sunburn as roofing material, his hair for strong rope, etc. At one point he is able to lift his arm and bring it crashing down on the enemies of the tribe that worships him.

At the end, they have evolved to the point of spaceflight and they build a statue to him.

It's Alan Dean Foster's Gift of a Useless Man.