Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axhind
Feb 27, 2005

When dealing with alien greys, cover your anus!
I've got a series of books that I'm dying to reread, but multiple searches over the months haven't turned up anything.

It's a SF series about human 'tribes' that are clad in very sophisticated suits that warn them with smells because the human mind reacts very fast on smells. Some of the suits are exoskeletons that are sun-powered, and the different tribes are named after games like the pieces of chess...

There are also insect-like aliens who, the older they get, get more and more of their biological body replaced by robotic pieces. The more cyborg they are, the higher their age and standing among their kind.

I think the human tribe discovers a spaceship, and they find other tribes of men on other planets. They also encounter another species that's very technologically advanced because they can control and direct cosmic strings by magnetic force. The human protagonist is even "thrown" into the middle of a planet that has been hollowed out by one of those cosmic strings (like an apple), and he keeps going through it again and again until he manages to divert his path.

I even think, but this is highly speculative, that the insectoids and the advanced aliens are in some kind of war, and the humans become allies of the aliens...

I'll try to think of more details ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axhind
Feb 27, 2005

When dealing with alien greys, cover your anus!

Unkempt posted:

Pretty sure this is Greg Benford's 'Galactic Centre' series. Take a look at the reviews for 'Tides of Light'.

Hmm, at first it looked like this is it, but on second thought I don't think it's the same series that I'm looking for. It has some similarities though... Thanks anyway!