Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.
I'm sure there've been a bunch like this. The first one that pops into my mind is Faerie Tale, by Raymond E. Feist, but it wasn't part of a series so it's probably not what you're thinking of. I remember it mainly because it's one of the few things Feist wrote that aren't related to his more famous Riftwar books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

LittleSunshine posted:

*Here's a site with the covers of both - any of those ring bells?

Oh, man, the first "definition of vague" post really rang a bell - I'm sure my library had a bunch of those, including some with spaceships and one that was all pictures of aliens, but of course I couldn't remember any more.

Then I went to that link, and the aliens one definitely contained this creature. So thanks for reminding me of this stuff!

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

This is a long shot, but I remember a book that was shown to me that you could read in a circle, as in you could start reading from any point in the book and it would flow nicely till the page prior to the one you started on. I have no idea what it looks like, or what it was about, or even when the book was created. I'm not expecting an answer, but google has failed me and this seemed like it might work. Thanks and good luck, I guess.

I'm sure it's not what you're thinking of, but Finnegan's Wake?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Cawie McFuckyou posted:

I read this story in my seventh grade reading book, so 1995-6.

The main character is a young/nearly teenage girl, and it was set in the past (not sure when exactly, but it had horse drawn carts and such). While wandering in the forest, she encounters a young man who warns her not to drink from the spring he was just drinking from. She later meets his family: an older brother, mother and father. They don't age and won't die because they drank the water long ago, not knowing its effect.

Sounds like Tuck Everlasting, although I've only got plot summaries of the movie to go on.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Doedipus posted:

-There was some sort of female imp or faerie that followed the main male character around. I think she was only visible to him, but I may be wrong. I also believe she at one point tickled his groin to mess with him.

Oh, and I did get one recommendation of Piers Anthony's "Vale of the Vole". That might be it, but I honestly am not sure. I'll definitely keep that one in mind, but am wondering if it there's anything else that jumps out at you.

"Young adult" fantasy that involves "groin ticking" which is completely non-sexual, no, it's "just to mess with him"... that's definitely Piers Anthony.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Dead Alice posted:

I read a short story ages ago about an astronaut going to the moon, and finding what appeared to be an old couple and their house. They took him in an made him dinner and stuff. They'd been living on the moon for years and had met all the previous astronauts who'd been up, but noone else was aware of them.
I think it turned out that they were aliens (duh) who just got bored of their own world and were visiting.
Anyone got a title or author name?

I'd be tempted to guess Ray Bradbury, but I'm not sure.

Runoir posted:

I got about 1/2 way through a science fiction book before leaving it on a train in europe and forgetting the title. I remember very little of the book: Somehow, man creates intelligence, but it quickly realizes it is smarter than man, and transports all of humanity out into the galaxy. Each settlement is given a machine that can make anything, if fed resources, and a large diamond pyramid with a set of rules carved into it.

This sounds like the Rings of the Master series, by Jack L. Chalker. The computer was actually given the instruction to defend humanity, and it decided that the best way to do this was scatter everyone out among the stars (so that a single star going nova or something couldn't wipe everyone at once, and also at primitive tech levels so they couldn't travel between the stars on their own and wipe themselves out with advanced weapons. The plot is that a group of primitives from earth find out what's going on, steal one of the giant spaceships the computer used to transport people and travel around to various "colonies" finding rings which each contain part of the override code so they can get control back from the computer. It was pretty awesome.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

mystes posted:

I think 2 and 3 are by William Sleator. I will try to remember which books.

Edit: 2 is The Boy who Reversed Himself and 3 is Singularity

Definitely sounds William Sleator-ish, but I read The Boy Who Reversed Himself and I don't remember any of those details except "boy can travel to another dimension". I think he reused that theme a bunch, so I think it's a different book. (I could have just forgotten a whole bunch, but it really feels wrong to me.)

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

mystes posted:

I'm pretty sure those details were from that book, though. I just searched the book on amazon and found this:

Edit:
Also, I don't think he had any other book that had travel through dimensions in the same way as this book. I remember the other details and am confident that they were from this book.

Turns out I've never read that book - I was thinking of The Revolving Boy, by a completely different author.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Skittles n Bugs posted:

The story that’s bugging me is about a bunch of people on a space ship headed out on government orders. I’m not sure, but I think they’re going to investigate something. The captain of the ship is a guy that has a photographic memory and can’t forget anything. His girlfriend killed herself a while back when a law was passed that people of the same ethnicity could no longer get married/have children. Once the people get where they’re going, they see a cloud or something out in space? The captain also accidentally kills one of the crew members. Everything they imagine appears in the cloud, and since the captain doesn’t tell them the chick is dead, they still hear her voice. It ends with them all being able to discorporate? Not really sure, it’s driving me crazy. I thought it was by Piers Anthony, but I don't know any more.

This reminds me of a George R. R. Martin story, Nightflyers, but a couple of the details are different.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

PrinceofLowLight posted:

I've never read this book/series/short story, but I've read about it. It's supposed to be very important in the history of a certain kind of sci-fi/fantasy. It's basically about a massive arcology on a planet where it's always night.

The Night Land?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Action Jacktion posted:

When the Wind Blows.

Aha! They made that into a movie, which I've consistently been getting mixed up with The Big Snit. I wondered why a lot of the descriptions of that didn't seem quite right.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Gyver posted:

Ok I've got two for you. The first one is about these alien space ships that come to Earth, and park over all the major cities, and just sit there. Eventually the people stop caring and go back to their normal lives for 500 years or so, when the aliens finally decide to make contact. They send a message saying they will come out of their ships in another 500 years. When the time finally comes there is a big celebration, but when the aliens show up they're actually demons.

Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke, which was expanded from the short story "Guardian Angel" - they both have the aliens turning out to look just like demons, but in the short story it's the punchline and in the novel it's just the beginning.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Hubcap Hal posted:

It was posted here a while ago, but I can't remember the name of a short story. I know that its a really old scifi story.It's about a guy who works recieving morse code messages. One night he gets a message and finds out that a whole town has been wiped out by something. Does anyone have an idea?

This makes me think of an old story called The Waveries, about the Earth getting attacked by alien radio waves that initially copy the form of broadcasts sent out from Earth. At the beginning all the radios on earth start getting a fuzzy Morse code "S... S... S..." and the viewpoint character that's listening to it and immediately says, "That's Marconi" works in radio, so it's sort of his job. It moves on past Morse pretty quickly, though.

It doesn't actually sound much like your description, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

My wife's looking for one she read as a kid:

Kids' book, winner of a Newbury or Caldecott or something like that. Written by Jane somebody, about her time growing up in China. May have "Yangtze" in the title or subtitle.

You'd think knowing it was an award winner and a partial author name and title would make it easy to find, but she says she's looked for it in winner's lists and she can't find it, so she must have one of these details wrong. (Or maybe it's just a less famous award.)

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

Here's one for the collective:

Nuclear launch codes are embedded in the heart of a child so that if the president wants to go to war, he personally has to rip open the child's chest.

I've read a review of that, or at least seen that plot point mentioned in a review of another book. I remember because it was such a bizarre concept. I'm pretty sure it was one of the books reviewed here.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

soapboxcritic posted:

I remember one of my friends pointing out a rather interseting sounding book to me that was like 3 stories in one book but it would start one story, then start the next, then start the next, then end the first, end the second, and end the third. Said it may sound gimmicky but still a drat good book.

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller is quite similar to this, and is one of the best books ever written.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Double post.

JoeNotCharles fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

nuvan posted:

6. aliens invade earth. we start a guerilla war against them. they run their standardized intelligence test on us (which they weren't supposed to do) and find out we're smarter than they are, they just had/have better tech.

This sounds vaguely Scientologist, so I'm gonna guess Battlefield Earth.