Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looking for a story probably originally posted here by someone else.

Was a journal from a member of a society of pneumatic clockwork devices.

They forsee their apocalypse as the difference in airpressure is changing and they have no way to charge their brains or can conceive of a pump that would do so that wouldn't cost more energy then it produces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Got it in one thanks!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Abyss posted:

My googlefu has failed me on this one. A friend described a random book to me but couldn't remember the name, description is as follows:

"It would have been published no later than 2000, and was Hunger Game-esque. Instead of World Wars, each nation has a champion that fights in an olympic game every four years, and the last man standing wins and his nation runs the UN for the next four years."

Not exactly but Achilles Choice is similar:

quote:

Jillian Shomer had won the right to compete in the Eleventh Olympiad. She and her competitors were the best and brightest, three thousand of the finest minds and bodies that had ever strode the planet.

Yet within a few short years, ninety-eight percent of them would be dead. Only a handful would survive to take their place among Earth’s ruling elite.

The rulers of the 21st century had created a nearly perfect system of government: A world free from war, disease, and want, dominated by global corporations, managed by omniscient artificial intelligences.

And they’d created a nearly perfect system for selecting its future leaders: A new kind of Olympics that tested the mind as well as the body.

To win this coveted prize, the athletes used the most advanced technique available to medicine: The Boost, an operation that conveyed brilliant intellect and superhuman strength—at a terrible price…

Once Boosted, there followed burnout. The mind and body suffered mental and physical disintegration—and death—in just a few short years. The only way to halt the effects of the Boost was connection to the Link, the global information network that sustained the world.

And only those who won received the Link.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Couple of books I've been trying to find the details of for about twenty years. I read both of them either late 80s or early 90s, probably written earlier than that, both sci-fi, both novel length, different authors.

Second was set in latter half of the twentieth century and begins with an alien ship crash-landing in an American public park. The military respond, go into the ship, find the pilots from species A dead, but a prisoner from species B chained up. They gradually learn his language and he tells them that his people are fighting a war against species A, who are heading towards Earth with the intention to invade. The alien from species B offers to put Earth in contact with his people to build defenses on Earth. Earth agrees, and a station is built at one of the poles and weapons grade radioactive fuel is shipped there to power it. After a while, people get suspicious for some reason, and launch a raid on the facility to find out what's really going on. It turns out that there was a war going on, but it's not coming to Earth. Instead, both species we've encountered are stragglers from their respective fleets who have banded together to survive. The crash was a fake, with some aliens who'd already died used as the "pilots." The whole story was a scam to get fuel to allow the aliens to get home. Ends with Earth telling them to leave. The man who leads the attack on the polar facility was one of the men who established contact with the first alien, and has to shoot him to keep the mission covered up. The alien's name was something like Hes'bu or Hesb'u. Can't remember what the two species were called.

Any help with either much appreciated.

I know this one (And think I own it) but don't think I've read it. It's a 70s New Age author, I think Harry Harrison which should make it easy to find, if not probably Ben Bova. (drat alliteration!) Let me check bookshelves.

EDIT: Got it in one. http://www.sfbookshelf.com/review/harrison-harry-invasion-earth.php Google for Harry Harrison Aliens Earth found it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Piers Anthony, Killobyte. You didn't hallucinate it but I wouldn't bother tracking it down for a reread personally.

Got to teenager and guessed Piers Anthony, 'faith' in humanity restored.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Piers Anthony" and "faith in humanity" don't belong in the same sentence.

"Has destroyed my" between the two phrases.

But honestly I maintain that an important part of a nerds development process is the day they discover piers Anthony and the exciting smut it brings. And then the day they become embarrassed that they ever read him. It's amusing that h himself is not yet self aware enough for the second part.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I seem to remember an older science fiction story about how the existence of 'color' was some sort of... viral or mimetic transmission? So previously everything was black and white but then eventually people started seeing color? I've tried googling it but only get lists of people of color who've written science fiction.

Well there's some studies that maybe that's true. http://www.sciencealert.com/humans-couldn-t-even-see-the-colour-blue-until-modern-times-research-suggests
"This all suggests that, until they had a word from it, it's likely that our ancestors didn't see blue at all. Or, more accurately, they probably saw it as we do now, but they never really noticed it."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sixfools posted:

I thought about a book I read when I was 10? Today while watching mst3k. I know it's not A Sound of Thunder for sure but what I remember at the start of the novel sounds like it is, and then weirdness

A company provides time travel safari's to hunt dinosaurs and some people fall off and get stuck there. At the same time some teenagers wandering the woods somehow also fall back in time and they meetup with these crazy humanoid dinosaurs. There's some sort of attempt at communication after being held captive for some number of days where they are presented with a bowl. One of the teenagers notices flecks of blood in the bowl and realises it as some sort of ritual and cuts herself to add blood to the bowl and then they are trusted by the dinonoids. Later on the two groups meet and some how the teens get back to the modern era and so do some dinosaurs?

Am I crazy? all I can find online is A Sound of Thunder but this was a thick rear end book that my teacher let me count as 4 books for our read 100 books in the school year challenge thing she made us do.

Not familiar but was a bit bored and found some possibilities:
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/features/dinosaurs-science-fiction/
https://timetraveltimestwo.com/2016/02/15/12-dinosaur-time-travel-books-for-young-readers/
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dino-out-of-time-6-sf-novels-about-humans-meeting-dinosaurs/

Any of those sound right? Bonus is this one that isn't it but I haven't read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB2VZW6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A similar thing was played with i Walter Jon Williams Voice in the Whirkwind. Where PMCs offer clone insurance before going on missions. Dude wakes up 20 years after the mission to find he's a clone that never had the brain tapes updated and the world has changed. Now he has to find his killer.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Forever War does similar stuff with the protagonist returning to earth and freaking out about gay sex and feminism once every few hundred years

Freaks out is a bit of a strong term. I mean it's literally just, "I'm a Space-Vietnam Space-Vetran dealing with the Space-Summer-Of-Love after by Space-Tour-of-Duty"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pidan posted:

I'm looking for a dark fantasy story I read online. It was posted in one of those online fantasy magazines, this year or at least not long ago.

The plot was set in / after the second world war in the US, in a lovecraftian setting. The main character was a woman from a town of lovecraftian fish people, who had lost her family in a fish people internment camp and now worked in a bookshop in a big city.
The story describes her encounter with Dagon cultists. Some of them don't believe that she's a fish person and don't take her description of her native religion seriously. They plan on sending one of their members into the ocean to become a fish person. The protagonist knows that this won't work and reports them to the police for their own good.
There's a book out where she continues working with the police on the typical mythos cases. I want to read that book, but I can't find the story or the book again.

I think the author had a feminine name.

Tl;dr gimme SJW fish people

The Litnany of Earth

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Pretty sure that's the short story Antibodies by Charles Stross.

Very probably though the story is more terrifying than the summary.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This is probably the wrong thread for it, but are there any good books from the point of view of people or a society that are truly immortal and have more than 40 or 50 thousand years of experience? I know there's things like Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny, but for all their agelessness it feels like they've only lived for 5-10k years. (Except maybe Benedict.) There's the various Warhammer 40k or DC Vandal Savage characters but I'm interested in something about the fantasy/sci-fi society that long long term immortals would create.

Only other one I can think of is Mutineer's Moon by David Weber but a main point of that was that the people who lived for 50k years were in a totally static society and were afraid to change anything.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

IYKK posted:

Some of these things, Egyptian gods and the prostitute/oracle thing might be from Creatures of Light and Darkness by Roger Zelazny.

Also the hammers. There were creatures that did something with hammers and were rewarded with not being blind anymore and as the people left them made a comment that the other ones will rip out the now slightly guys eyes soon enough to bring everyone back down to the same level.

Other really memorable scene to me is the divination in the entrails of a religious leader /diviner who is complaining as he dies that his own entrails are being read wrong by the idiot divine/schism leader.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Astrofig posted:

There was one I read at Barnes and Noble a few months back that I really should have bought but didn't, and now I can't recall the name of it. The idea is that a rage-virus escaped a testing lab, but for *reasons*, only men were affected by it. It started with a fever and headache and gross drippy eyes, and later changed the afflicted into 'roided out rage-monsters who would turn on and kill any woman they came into contact with. It was told from the viewpoint of a highschool girl whose boyfriend and father are among the first to change.

Plot sounds like screw fly solution by James Tiptree jr. though it was a short story and the reason was aliens wanting to colonize so had to clean up first.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Longshot but here goes. It's a sci-fi story, possibly published in the 70's or 80's? I don't recall much of the plot except that there's some kind of huge creature from whom steaks can be sliced off while it's alive and it lactates white wine; some rich lady was hosting a party and brought one of said creatures along for catering (it apparently painlessly regenerated the sliced-off flesh? I recall the wine was a chablis because at age 13 I didn't know what that was and had to go look it up.)

Also there are centaur-like aliens (possibly hermaphroditic?) who 'speak' via singing and there's like three genders; it takes like five adults to successfully birth one child as it keeps getting passed back and forth; there's reference to 'foremothers' and 'hindmothers'. Also I recall a passage very approximate to this one:

' "I'm horny," she sang, "wanna screw?"

'Horny' and 'screw' were not exact translations but they were as close to the concept as the human mind could come'

Lol, yep John Varley I didn't recognize the first part with 'Some rich lady' so I searched John Varley Chablis and found...

quote:

It was sixty revs after the preliminary scout first discovered the site and found it good. The flacks and hypes were returning from their forays into the woods, laden with game. These were ape-like creatures: two of the few predatory species Gaea had ever produced. Gaea was not good at predators. A hype would have fared poorly in an African jungle. But in Gaea, most of the fauna were not good at flight, either, simply because they had no predators. The principal source of meat, the smilers, did not have to be stalked–they didn’t run–or even killed. Meat could be harvested from them in long strips, doing no harm to the smiler. Many a smiler steak was sizzling in the commissary building as the first great feast was prepared and laid out on long trestle tables with immaculate white cloths and big crystal jugs of chablis. A breathless quiet fell over the site as all awaited the arrival of Gaea. It was broken only by the excited meet, meet, meeeet of the bolexes as they jostled each other for position.

The ground began to tremble. She came through the woods. There was a reverent gasp from the assembled Priests as her head came into view over the treetops.

Gaea was fifteen meters tall. Or, as she preferred to have it, “fifty foot two, eyes of blue.”

Some rich lady indeed...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I think I asked about this before and there was no luck.

Guy called to his old professors/mentor/coworkers house. Turns out the other guy has invented a machine to prove life after death. Bad news is it's your psyche/soul travels outwards from earth till it lands in another living creature where it goes insane and you scream for all eternity as 'you' are now a monster. Think it ends with professor/mentor/coworker killing himself and them tracking the progress of the soul

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mrens posted:

I read it about 5 years ago, it was a short Sci-Fi story about a man who gets captured by aliens. His brain is removed from his body and put into a flight simulator, with the end goal to attack a human settlement and trigger a war. He used to be a computer programmer and manage to escape the simulator and reprogram it, and eventually turns on his captors. It seems that this story was part of a larger set of books I've been trying to find. I also believe it had War in the title.

I put too much time into this... I think you have a confused story...

I think what you're looking for is "WINGS OUT OF SHADOW" By Fred Saberhagen. I think that story was in an anthology called 'The Berserker Wars' It's not quite that but it does have a guy captured by aliens with a flight simulator that turns it on the aliens but the details are vastly different. You can read the story online at http://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743498860/0743498860___9.htm and see if that's it or not.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an oldish science fiction story. It might have been written by Arthur C Clarke, but I might also be getting that mixed up because of the newspads in 2001: A Space Odyssey. George RR Martin and Harlan Ellison are also candidates.

The story is about eBooks, way before eBooks were a thing. It's pretty much a story about the paper printing industry having anxiety attacks about this oncoming threat to their business model. It was pretty darn predictive, which is why I think Clarke is the most likely author. I can't remember many other details.

Cyberbooks by Ben Bova?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Goodreads can typo?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

RedApe98 posted:

Thanks! Picked it up for $3 on my kindle, I hope it still holds up.

There was also a CBC series about it. The detail to remember for me was always she’s going blind and can’t be out at night while he is a vampire and can’t be out in the day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

No idea but would love to read all 3. Each sounds a bit like something I read but obviously aren’t.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

Is the third one Rendezvous with Rama? Probably not, because it's not a short story.

And they Rendezvous with Rama.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

El_Zilcho posted:

Could this one be "Bow Shock" by Gregory Benford, in the 24th Dozois collection?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150603050831/http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/1416521364/1416521364___4.htm to check.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

skasion posted:

Does anyone know a sci-fi (short?) story where a galaxy-wide alien civilization discovers the Earth is the only source of pot in the universe and the interplanetary weed trade quickly becomes the sole business of the planet because it’s otherwise completely unremarkable?

I’m pretty sure weed is what the story was about, but possibly it could have been some other random thing that was unique to earth and someone just made a joke to me about what if it was weed.

One of the Baen right wing authors had a world where it was maple syrup that got one of the other major galactic races high and that was the key to earth wealth or something like that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

They get even yikesier. And that's even without the later series (plural) where he got into making women superobese with magic, and the various magical/sf ways of making women (and occasionally men in women's bodies) into mindcontrolled superhot nympho sex slaves, and oh god why did you remind me of this poo poo. Dude was basically a Voltron of horrible internet fetish communities before the internet existed.

So you are saying there’s a mainstream author preview than piers Anthony?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Is that autocorrectese for pervier? Philip Jose Farmer is shoving his way to the front of the crowd and glaring at everyone. But yeah. There is always more and it is always worse, as they say...

Yes :effort: phone typing and I thought I fixed it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

StrixNebulosa posted:
no one should be allowed to read Piers Anthony

I’ll maintain you can mark 3 epochs of a nerd as when they discover piers Anthony and when they come to realize what absolute poo poo it is.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pm please. You guys talking about it too much I feel left out.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Van Vogt's Voyage of the Space Beagle? (It's a fix-up of several short stories; the one involving a teleporting tentacled cat creature is Black Destroyer.)

That's what I was thinking of. It's the story that introduced the Displacer Beast.

quote:

In the first section, the Space Beagle lands on a largely deserted desolate planet. Small scattered herds of deer-like creatures are seen, and the ancient ruins of cities litter the landscape. Coeurl, a starving, intelligent and vicious cat-like carnivore with tentacles on its shoulders, approaches the ship, pretending to be an unintelligent animal, and quickly infiltrates it. The creature kills several crewmen before being tricked into leaving the now spaceborne ship in a lifeboat. It then commits suicide when it realizes it has been defeated.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Cool. It's annoying me now, though, I know there's at least one other aliens-vs-vampires story out there but I can't remember title/author. An alien survey ship lands on a devastated Earth and finds a single survivor who turns out to be Guess What.

I thought it was van Vogt's The Monster, but that's just another of his usual supermen. Maybe Richard Matheson? Eric Frank Russell? Anyone know?

It sound vaguely familiar, but I'm probably thinking of the Zelazny short story where a Vampire robot is saved from being killed by other Robots by the last Vampire who's been dying for hundreds of years since his food source wiped themselves out...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

My dad is trying to remember a sci-fi/mystery novel where an alien weapon on a moon of Mars shoots two warning shots, one through the Earth and one through Mars and it goes from there. Possibly from the 2000s. Anybody have any ideas?

Did some googling, maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_(novel) ?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

My dad's pretty sure it was Impact by Douglas Preston, that's exactly the kind of author he reads. Thanks all.

Woot! Glad I found it. FYI: I read the 'In Fiction' section of Mars two moons and found the link to the novel from that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I read a book about a police detective in cleveland who gets turned into a vampire and solves crimes with his human partner. It's not Simon R Green, or it might be - but it's not his nightside series. Date it to approximately 2010-2015. Cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. Any help?

Not what you're looking for but in the vein is Tanya Huff's Blood Ties series
Female detective leaves the police force due to macular degeneration (is blind at night) works instead as a PI and gets help from a male vampire (helpless during day.) There was a very canadian series made a few years back from it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

if you are only reading books written by morally good persons you won't have much to read

but fortunately for you, eddings was also a bad author, so you won't miss anything by not reading him regardless of the reasons

Well you could still read Brandon Sanderson right? He writes enough each year for you to have enough to read... (I assume, I actually stopped reading him years ago.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

he hasn't been caught yet doing anything gross, but he's also a bad author

So right at home with the rest of the people we're discussing

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

OMG that's it! Thank you with every bit of my being. :tipshat:

Unbelievable. I had no idea about anything else he has written either. I will dive into Last and First Men immediately after I spend all night re-reading Star Maker.

edit: I’ve been wasting time on this site for ten years and this is bar-none the best thing that’s ever come out of it. Granted, it’s a small list, but this honestly is fantastic and I love you goons.

Last and First Men was apparently made into a video essay by an Icelandic Film Composer...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

All You Zombies by Robert Heinlein?

It got made into a film called Predestination, which is probably one of the better examples of a science fiction book getting turned into a movie.

The entire conceit of All You Zombies is that the protagonist can visit the same time more than once...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looking for a short story may have just been posted online. Basically about capitalism in the land of automation. An Alexa style app is added to mcdonalds telling you when to cook when to clean when to order. And all of management is laid off. Then the voice is added to the drive through and registers and staff is cut in half. Then automated burger flippers lay off the rest. The rich respond by basic debtors prisons where if you don’t have a job you have to live in dorms and can’t leave unless you can prove you are working.

It ends with Australia had adopted the same as tech but instead with universal income and people were free to do what they wanted instead of the 1% taking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Sounds like Manna by Marshall Brain.

Got it in one ; thanks