Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
This has been killing me for years... the book is about a family, and an alien somehow comes to live with them and is their friend. The oldest daughter in the family is named 'Yolanda'. I would have read this around '82 - '83.

I specifically remember a sequence in the book where the mother took the alien to see a train, hoping to impress it with earth technology, but the alien pointed out things about the train that the mother didn't know.. however the alien didn't understand why people needed to use tissues.

At the end the alien had to leave the family, but left a glowing energy sphere with Yolanda, that could be used to contact him in the future or something.

anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

All I can remember about this book is that the protagonist has some sort of little vampire creature that is hungry and he or she has nothing to feed it, so he lets it drink its blood. This saves the creature from dying.

Any ideas what book or short story I remember?

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Rocambole posted:

The Great Ghost Rescue by Eva Ibbotson? It starts with a family of ghosts

Thats it! thanks.

It must have been about 25 years since I read that book, and for some reason that one scene jumped into my head the other day.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

This one is fairly obscure but maybe it will jog someones memory.

My sister and I were traveling through upstate New York the other week looking at all the grand old houses. We both almost simultaneously remembered a book from our childhood that had a lot of descriptions of wooden shutters - the sort that you see on old houses.

The book wasn't specifically about shutters, but there was a story running through the book about taking these old shutters off the house and repainting them. At one point the shutters were banging during a storm and the protagonist needed to remove them. It was a bit difficult to remove and they eventually worked out how to unlatch them and bring them inside.

I seem to remember an air of mystery or supernatural about the story. Maybe some young people were staying at a relatives spooky house for the summer or something.

Does this ring any bells? First we thought it may have been a Trixie Belden book, but my sister knows them all practically by heart and was sure it wasn't.

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Ok this is going to make me look dumb because I think it's a really famous book.

There's a guy after some trouble at home goes to live on a Greek island somewhere. Weird stuff happens, there's an old guy who lives on the island in a fancy house. Goats are involved somehow. There is a pretty lady there (maybe related to the old guy?) and some sort of spy / kidnapping thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Dead Alice posted:

The Magus?

That's the one, thanks! It was a great book by the way, don't let my crappy synopsis turn anyone off it.