Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark it Zero
Nov 29, 2005
clownpenis.fart
I read this series when I was about 10 or 11 (95ish) and I remember them scaring the crap out of me, but little else. The series protagonist is a fat kid with glasses who ends up living with his grandparents after his mom and dad die. The kid was catholic, I think he may have even been an altar boy. the books centered around him solving these mysteries around his town, but I remember there being lots of ghosts and riddles behind statues and whatnot. the series takes place in the 50's. the cover art reminded me alot of the Edward Gorey Mystery intro on PBS.

So . . . Fat catholic kid with glasses facing off against ghostly happenings, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark it Zero
Nov 29, 2005
clownpenis.fart

enuma elish posted:

I distinctly remember some very similar books in my school library growing up. I think there were several related series; I recall the one you mentioned, and also one where the kid is close friends with the local librarian - perhaps they travel to an alternate dimension with some sort of people who are plotting to take over earth.

Edit: Got lucky with some Googling - pretty sure the person I was thinking of was John Bellairs. Is that who you were thinking of?

YES!, thank you. Ive been trying to remember the dudes name for years!

and oh poo poo, It was Edward Gorey who illustrated it!