Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LabCreatedAmber
Feb 21, 2006
Hebrews 13:2
There's a sci-fi book I read about three years ago; it must've been published within the last 10 years. I want to say it has a sequel.

The main character had a Spanish sounding name, and he was telling the story of how he travelled to another planet with a team of people. It was supposed to be the first interplanetary trip that humans on Earth had ever taken. One of the crew was a small lady with dark hair (a mathematician, I think), and she falls in love with another crew member who was quite tall with red hair.

The team runs into a peaceful race of aliens, and later on, a more ruthless race who live in cities. Somewhere in the story, and team is killed except for the main guy. He has some sort of surgery on his hands where they lengthen the fingers by cutting away the bone and tendons in the palm of your hand. Apparently it is a sign of wealth, since you can pay other people to be your hands for you or some such thing.

The main character also ends up killing this one small female alien who's kind of looked up to him as a father figure. It was a accident, though, as he's locked up in a prison in one of the cities, and has nearly gone mad due to psychological and physical abuse from the bad aliens.

He ends up coming back to Earth, but I don't remember how exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LabCreatedAmber
Feb 21, 2006
Hebrews 13:2

LittleSunshine posted:

It does. Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow and Children of God.

Ah! Thanks so much; I'm checking them out on Amazon right now!