Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

nuvan posted:

edit: 5. read this one online. no idea if anyone will recognize it. story's about an AI that is "grown" or something, kinda like an artificial pregnancy. this is all done in the computer. turns out there's something special about it. I think it goes out into space or something like that, but it's been years since I read this one.

This might be Greg Egan's Diaspora, which according to WP has its first chapter (which deals with the "birth" of the AI) available online.

I have one: An SF novel, probably a juvenile, that involved a trip in a spaceship to a moonbase. The only real detail I can remember is that the ship springs an air leak on the way, and they have to send someone one outside to find where the air is leaking from. It's emphasized that it's much easier to find a trace of air leaking out into a vacuum than it is to detect from the inside. The plot involves sabotage of the moonbase or something by some criminals, I think.
I read this in about 1980, in the UK. I remember there were diagrams of the ship in the front of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ballsworthy posted:

Well, you didn't dream it, I've read it too, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything more than what you posted. That's the problem with being a short story junkie, I guess; they're a lot harder to keep track of than novels.

Could it be Charlie Stross's A Boy and his God?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

nuvan posted:

4. there's a ship travelling through some sort of hyperspace. one of the crew is telepathic, and maintains communication to earth through her telepathic twin. the farther they go, the more interference they get. stars have conciousness somehow.
Tentatively identified as (Gemini God by Garry Kilworth) by Rocambole

Actually this seems more like Robert Silverberg's Starborne. At least all the details match (telepathic twin, sentient stars).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The description is a bit inaccurate, but it's much closer to A Fire Upon the Deep than A Deepness in the Sky - in the latter, the existence of the fast/slow zones isn't known to the protagonists, for instance.

Both good books, though.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

jjack229 posted:

There was a sci-fi story I read 10-15 years ago set in the future on Earth where the Earth had been completely encased by a barrier (I don't remember if the barrier was in space or in the atmosphere). There was a interesting explanation in the book that as we look at something we define its being, and in looking at outerspace we were destroying all the possibilities of existence beyond what we defined, so some alien race encased us in the barrier.

The main character was a black private detective type (he later became white through some drug to avoid being recognized). And he was on some case about a little girl who could walk through walls.

Any help identifing this would be great.

Greg Egan's Quarantine.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Dead Alice posted:

They went to Cornwall in Five go down to the sea and have an adventure involving smugglers, illiterate retard kids, undercover cops and carnies.

There's also a lighthouse (and a cave/underwater tunnel) in Five Go To Demon's Rocks. I'm not sure it's a good or a bad thing that I can still remember most of the plots 25 years after I last read the books.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This one's a long shot, but I've been trying to track it down for a while.

In the early 80s at junior (middle) school in the UK I read a collection of short stories. I know one of the other stories in the book was Saki's "The Unrest Cure" but that's not the one I'm trying to find.

Anyway, in this story there are three boys, who play with toy boats on a lake in a local park. They work out a way to fire a torpedo from their boat to sink other peoples' boats. I remember there was secret signal described as "something to do with elbows" to signal one of the boys to fire the torpedo. Their boat is referred to as "a long, low, rakish craft" at one point.

After a few successes they start referring to the lake as "The Spanish Main", but soon the narrator starts worrying that someone has realized what they're doing and they're following him. The story ends when they try to sink another boat belonging to someone that they've sunk previously - it turns out the target is remote controlled and has guns fitted to it, which destroy their boat.

It's annoying that I can remember so many details of the story but not the title, so any help would be appreciated.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

nemotrm posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a scifi book which had a similar premise to the new show Dollhouse. People could be implanted into bodies, called 'skins' I think. The skins were usually criminals who were forced to give up their bodies for the period of their incarceration. The personalities each retained their muscle memory and special neuro-enhancements.

The main plot dealt with tracking down the assumed assassin of a multi-billionaire. There was a sideplot about how hotels were automated and there were no attendants, simply a gun turret in the lobby to keep unwanted people away.

That's Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

AberrantBassist posted:

I've Googled everything I can think of to find this book, but I can't find it at all, and I'm really intrigued.

This image was posted in one of the 'real book titles' threads in GBS, and I need this book, what is its real title?

I recognize that cover image as being used for Brian Lumley's Necroscope, but I never read the book so I don't know if the description is correct.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

yaffle posted:

I read this book in the UK about 15 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a collection of short sci fi by a bunch of different authors, and most of the stories were pretty good. However there were at least three that dealt with pedophilia as a reasonable and accepted behavior at some point in the future. It was loving weird and I really want to know the authors and if there was a reason for this. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Piers Anthony)
If it helps one of the stories was about a day at the beach with the protagonist and her five year old girlfriend.

Could possibly be the anthology Dangerous Visions or its sequel, Again, Dangerous Visions. These were edited by Harlan Ellison with the idea of containing all "taboo breaking" stories. I don't remember any paedophilia in DV (plenty of (adult) incest, though), but I haven't read ADV for a long time, and don't remember the stories in it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Foxy Stoat posted:

Sci-fi book. Alien ships land at various points on the earth, scientists and the military are trying to figure them out. I think all electrical gear stops working within a close radius to the craft, at one point a probe thing comes out and walks around, and when they send someone inside the ship it makes them insane. The book ends with the aliens seemingly shutting down anything electrical on the entire planet.

Read it years ago but the title escapes me.

Maybe Patrick Tilley's Fade-Out, certainly the details I remember match, but likewise I read it years ago.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Valkyn posted:

I remember seeing this book when I was really small, and it always has sounded really interesting to me ever since. On the cover were some men in space suits walking on perhaps the moon or an icy planet with the Earth in the sky in the background, and the men are looking at an alien spacecraft that is half buried in the ice. It sticks in my head that the story was about present day humans finding this advanced alien craft and either getting it to work or learning from its technology, its been too long to remember exactly.

That's a pretty common trope, but the book that springs to mind is James P. Hogan's Inherit the Stars. The cover doesn't quite match your description, but the plot is right.

A good book, but the series gets progressively more loopy as it goes on (probably reflecting Hogan's decent into Velikovskism).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

various posted:

I need help trying to identify a book I think I read about 15 years ago or so. Set in England and definitely English in origin.

Heres what little I can recall.

A man frustrated in both his private and professional life accidentally kills a homeless man, after weeks of worry he realises that he has gotten away with murder so he takes to murdering those who stand in the way of the life he wants to lead.

I remember that he kills someone by poisoning them with Paraquat, and another by rigging the entrance to his attic to give a fatal electric shock. In the end he gets charged for the one murder in the book that he didn't commit.

Help me goons.

That's A Shock to the System by Simon Brett. It was made into a film staring Michael Caine though the film's plot is a bit different.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

JLightning posted:

i read a scifi book maybe 15 years ago that was about an expidition from earth out to study a neutron star (or maybe a brown dwarf or something like that). when they got their they found that the star was inhabited by some kind of hyper-evolving flatworm type organism.

Probably Robert L. Forward's Dragon's Egg, or its sequel Starquake.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Biaga posted:

Ok this is a Si-Fi book. Main themes that i can remember are:

Number of kids are being noticed across the globe to have exceptional abilities in a number of distinctions, one that is followed has an unprecedented ability for math (african kid). Each mark themselves with a blue symbol.

There is a space program for deep space exploration, and the pilot is a genetically enhanced squid. It is a female, and before the flight she gets pregnant and leads to the creating of a space society of super smart squid that live off eating the stupid ones.

Hope someone can help me out, I have been racking my brain for a while and cant come to a conclusion of title or author.
I think this is one of Stephen Baxter's Manifold:Something novels. Personally I gave up on Baxter at that point (looking back, I should have pulled the trigger earlier, after Titan) so I don't remember which one it was, but the plot points sound familiar.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Plagiarism posted:

Alright, here we go. A friend of mine was reading a bunch of pulp short stories and one of them was about this (space?) ship that found a pig-like creature. They take it on board and it's super intelligent, but the crew is starving and they prepare to eat it. The pig I thiiiink takes over the mind of the captain and it is the captain (who made the decision to eat the pig) whose mind is transplanted into the pig and eaten. Ring any bells?

edit; It may have been a short story in "The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps"

This sounds like a slight miss-remembering of Phil K. Dick's "Beyond Lies the Wub".

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

King Plum the Nth posted:

Can’t stop thinking about a picture book I had as a kid (It was actually my older brother’s so circa 1974-1982). Similar in style to a little golden book (but not one) about a man in a pinstriped suit, bowler hat, and glasses (?) carrying an umbrella. And misadventures having to do with an apple.

A long shot, but possibly Mr Benn?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Benn
I only remember it as a TV series, but according to that article it was a book series also. I don't know how widespread it was outside of the UK, though, if your not from there.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Boody posted:

Book I'm thinking off was more or less a hardboiled detective story but set on another planet, almost read like a near future dashiell hammett story. Slightly futuristic and I think the main sci-fi/cyberpunk twist was related to the girl but just can't remember what it was or why she was on the run. Probably some low profile author that I'll never track down. Frustrating as I can remember most of the authors I'd read before and after but just not from around that time.

Before I was thinking Jeff Noon (Vurt, etc.) but now it sounds more like Richard K. Morgan (the Takeshi Kovacks novels starting with Altered Carbon), though they were published rather later than your timeframe.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Oberleutnant posted:

I've been trying to remember the titles of some books I read when I was a kid (we're talking early nineties) about two brothers who roam around the world collecting rare and dangerous animals for their family's zoo/wildlife sanctuary. That's all I have to go on. Anybody have any ideas?

The "Adventure" series by Willard Price. Amazon Adventure, Safari Adventure, Volcano Adventure, there was a whole lot of 'em, and I remember reading most of them as a kid.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

regulargonzalez posted:

Hm, that just reminded me of a series I read as a kid because my mom had read them when she was my age and wanted me to read them too. Wonder if it's the same series ... my memories of it are incredibly dim, except that I think they were written around that same time (1920s or 30s), and the kids ate a lot of biscuits (which my mom said were probably the British words for cookies). For some reason I'm thinking the series I have in mind was written by a woman, though. But same general premise - kids would either go back in time or to some fantasy land and have adventures. And it wasn't the Narnia series.

e: Looking at Edgar Eager books, I see he wrote Half-Magic. I'm more certain that he's not the right author I'm thinking of -- the fantasy books I mentioned above were more literary in nature than Half-Magic (which is a fun kids book in its own right).

Possibly E. Nesbit's stuff (Five Children and It, etc., which involves some time travel), but those would be set rather earlier (1890s or so). I don't remember many biscuits though. (Interestingly, Nesbit's The Enchanted Castle is referenced heavily in Half-Magic.)

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Velvet Elvis posted:

I have no idea when it was published, but I believe it read it in the mid to late 70s.

Science-fiction action adventure genre. Basically, a human male is captured by an alien race and taken to a remote planet where he is the quarry in some sort of intergalactic hunt. Very similar to "The Most Dangerous Game" but with aliens. I think the participants were promised freedom if they survived long enough or reached a specific goal. If I recall, the protagonist makes friends with a large lizard man who is fond of mud-baths. I'm pretty sure needle-guns were involved. I think there may have been a sequel.

Unfortunately I've never read it so I can't be sure, but this might be Philip E. High's Come, Hunt an Earthman judging from the description. That was published mid-70s, so the timing is right.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Panzerfaust posted:

2) The means of quickly travelling through space in this universe is a sort of drive which makes the ship grow to an immense size in the direction of their destination, then shrink itself again, ending up at where the front of the ship had been when it was at its maximum size. Like if you hold a rubber band in your left hand, then stretch it between both your hands, and let the left side go. The band is small when it's hanging from your left hand, and small when it's hanging from your right hand, but it's huge when you stretch it between the two.

I've never actually read the novel so I can't tell if your other points match, but that sounds like the "Bloater Drive" of Harry Harrison's Bill, The Galactic Hero.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hughlander posted:

What sucks about this one is it's a book I know I own, I just don't remember which it is...

Written in the '60s, about a mid future point (3-400 years I think?) Only thing I remember is that the protagonist is hidden at some point in a giant underground 'vat' of processed protein. It was a mutant chicken hundreds of feet in diameter that the city used for it's food supply. Every day they'd carve off a few tons of it for food and it'd grow back. I think a female character had a flute or something that she'd play and the 'chicken' would move a bit to get to a hiding spot under it's bulk.

I think it may be Immortality Inc. But not sure...

This is Pohl & Kornbluth's The Space Merchants, or (more likely from what I remember) its sequel, The Merchants' War - I forget exactly which one has that scene. It's a satire of consumerism, with advertising incredibly rampant and has the protagonist being physically addicted to a brand of cola at one point. The hiding place under the chicken is something to do with a resistance movement or secret society.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A request here from my father: Sci-fi book, author unknown. The title is something like "Unusual Engineering" or "Incredible Engineering" making any attempt at googling impossible.

It's about some scientists who discover an alien planet where reality doesn't quite work. Things that are additive become multiplicative and vice versa. So if you take a 1 metre rod and stick it to a 3 metre rod you won't get a 4 metre rod, maybe 3.5 metres, maybe 5 metres.

It sounds pretty trippy, but I doubt you could get a novel from it. Maybe a short story?

(A guess from the name, because I've never managed to find a copy of these):
Possibly Colin Kapp's Unorthodox Engineers stories?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Detective Thompson posted:

Another one, a novel this time. I can only recall it was about a pair of kids, brother and sister I believe, that run away from home. I feel like the people they ran away from might not have been their birth parents, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they end up living in an art museum for a bit, and meet some old lady that I associate an original DaVinci sketch with. I think there was a criminal or two that wanted to get the sketch or something inside the museum and might have asked the kids for help, but that last part might be/probably is wrong.

Probably From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, a book I always wanted to read as a kid but could never find. God, I would have killed for something like Amazon or ABEbooks to be around back when I was 10.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
It is indeed Gordon R. Dickson, Hour of the Horde. I read the novel but it seems it was expanded from his short story of the same name.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Solvency posted:

Alright I have a sci-fi novel I read as a teen that though ally confused me, but I don't remember the name of it.

Essentially, some kid got in his possession some sort of item (perhaps it was called a pig) that the whole universe wanted back for some reason (or perhaps it was part of some sort of game).

That's all I can remember of the basic plot right now.

Interstellar Pig by William Sleator.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Sunday Punch posted:

I'm trying to find a short story I read, I think it was in an anthology of science fiction. The story was about these two people responsible for preventing the development of Artificial Intelligences before they became sentient as they would inevitably enslave humanity. I think they could travel in time or between dimensions or something in order to prevent the development of AIs. Anyway, the two characters eventually figure out that they've been brainwashed and are being used by an AI to wipe out any competition to itself. Just as they have this realisation their minds are adjusted and memories wiped by the AI to prevent their rebellion, the story ends with them heading off to destroy another proto-AI.

I know this is pretty vague but anyone have any ideas?
Almost certainly Charlie Stross' "Antibodies", you can read it online as part of his collection Toast.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Agreeable Employer posted:

Was browsing another forum when someone was looking for a book that I found had to have a pretty unusual premise. No one knew the title in that forum but it sounds kinda ridiculous. Here's the description:

"The protagonist was female and had a psionic link to her sister who was a spy and was killed, and then later she gets a psionic link to a feline (or canine it was a while back) alien. I'm pretty sure it was the first book in a series."

P.S: Kind of a drag no one has been able to identify the other book I heard about. I will have to pester the person about more details involving it.

Joan Vinge (ex-wife of Vernor Vinge) had a trilogy (Psion, Catspaw, and Dreamfall) about a telepathic half-human, half-catlike-alien, though I think he was a boy not a girl. I've never read them so I don't know if the rest of the details fit. But when I think "SF + cat + psionics" that's what immediately comes to mind.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 21, 2011

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

nuvan posted:

Didn't that Outer Limits revival that was made in the mid '90s have a take-off of this, except the guy thought the sun had exploded or something?
I haven't heard of the OL episode, but in the Niven storythe protagonist thinks the Sun had gone nova, which is why the moon is appearing so bright in the night sky that it seems like daylight.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SpoonmanUK posted:

This was a children (possibly YA?) book about some regular kids who for some reason are friends with the prince of some tiny kingdom that is surrounded by mountains. They fly on a plane there and eat some chocolate that stops them feeling sick from the turbulence. After this I don't remember much of the plot, except at one point they end up in a boat going along an underground river. Anyone got any idea what this might be from my terrible explanation?

Sounds very Enid Blyton, though of course that doesn't narrow it down very much. Possibly one of her "(Something) of Adventure" series?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The ISFDB might help you here, in that you can look at likely story titles and see what collection/magazine they were published in. Unfortunately I don't recognize either of those stories, though I've read a good chunk of Silverberg.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 13, 2011

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Popular Human posted:

My physics professor in college once mentioned to us that he read a really insightful but difficult to follow book once where the speed of light was fifty or sixty miles per hour and it changed human perception. I'm really interested in reading this book now - anyone ever heard of it?
George Gamow's Mr Tompkins in Wonderland and I believe there are some sequels too.

Sanford posted:

There was a series of books (or possibly a single book with several stories) set in a near-future dystopian UK. They were very technology-heavy and virtual reality programs were inprinted on feathers. Androids gained sustenance by putting these feathers into a special 'mouth' on their stomachs. I think the feathers were blue, and turned brown once they were used. I think androids and humans could interbreed, and possibly dogs too? And... something about a DJ with a hand made of butterflies. I hope someone can help, this is bugging the hell out of me.

Not sure about the details, but Jeff Noon's Vurt (and sequels) has the feathers-VR thing, though I don't remember any androids (but it's been a long while since I read them).

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 26, 2011

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SolarFire2 posted:

Okay. Sci Fi novel that I read in fourth grade or so, but it was probably written in the seventies. My parents were big fans of Niven, but I don't think it's one of his.

I remember it started out with a riot on a college campus, which the main character is observing but not actively participating in. What i remember definitely is that the riot is put down with some sort of anti-friction agent called Instant Banana Peel.

Even though he wasn't involved in the riot, the main character is sent off to some penal colony, meets a girl he 'marries' escapes and lives on the lam for a while.. At one point his pregnant wife is shot, but the baby is unharmed.

I really just wanna know what this book was, thanks.

I think one of Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium novels at least starts out like this. Possibly Birth of Fire? Pournelle was pretty tight with Niven so he's a likely prospect.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Sounds a lot like Alexei Panshin's novel Rite of Passage though obviously they're from a ship rather than a planet.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

There's also a short story I'd like to identify. It was published in Omni magazine in the 1980s. I can't remember any SF elements to it, and I'd like to look at it with adult eyes and see what I missed because it seemed pretty pointless. The main character was a man who I think was a reporter or writer. He's having an affair with a married woman who has a dog named "Bisquit". I remember the spelling because the narrator thought it was a pretentious name and thought less of the woman for naming it that. He takes the woman and her dog to a demonstration of napalm bombs, and for some reason Bisquit runs into the model village right before the bombs go off and get's burned alive.

Even at the time the tone seemed really misogynistic to me, almost like something Ellison would write. Can anyone help me ID this story?

Funny you should mention Ellison, because there's a short story "The Bisquit Position" by Bernard Wolfe in Again, Dangerous Visions. Been a long time since I read ADV and I don't remember the story, but Library Thing has a "review" of it that's solely the words "napalm death dog" so it's probably the story you remember. Doesn't ever appear to have been published in Omni from what I can see, though.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ramadu posted:

I used to work in a library and I was flipping through some scifi book years ago adn the plot went something like this: Humans make it to Titan and find a crashed spaceship and then they activate its distress beacon and another one shows up and these aliens were from a destroyed planet and were horrified that humans came from the savage third planet. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Possibly James P. Hogan's The Gentle Giants of Ganymede. I liked the first one in the series (Inherit the Stars) but they get progressively worse, perhaps because Hogan got a bit strange as he got older.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Lyon posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a Young Adult mystery novel that I read a long time ago. It involves 2-3 children investigating an eccentric millionaire and/or his missing fortune.

Makes me think of the Alfred Hitchcock and Three Investigators series. I don't recall that specific plot, but I didn't read all of them, and they occasionally were a bit grim. Any other details you can remember?

Failing that, maybe a Hardy Boys novel?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I'm looking for an SF story/novel, read it sometime in the early 90s but I suspect was written either 70s or early 80s. The background is that someone invented a method of remotely detonating fissile material so nobody can use nuclear bombs or reactors anymore. With oil running out, this has lead to a worldwide energy shortage (solar panels are at a premium) and there's been a number of Fuel and Water Wars (I believe they are referred to as that) for resources.

That's the setting, I don't think the actual plot is really much to do to with that, though. At one point in the story a village/settlement is attacked when it's found to have working solar panels. It might be something about receiving an alien transmission though I may be conflating another story.

It's definitely not Bob Shaw's Ground Zero Man, though it may be a British or Canadian author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Zola posted:

This sounds like Michael Kube-McDowell's Emprise, you aren't conflating.

That's it! I recognize the Author's name and the other details match. Thanks very much.