Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anarchyrepublica
Apr 3, 2006
The most horrid flaw of humanity is our inability to comprehend our own experiences

therattle posted:

The whole point is that people often don't remember much...

I see what you're saying, Rattle, however, his description of your post is pretty spot-on. Just don't refer to yourself as "precocious" and go out of your way to point out that you were reading material aimed at "older kids" and that if you liked it, it was "probably pretty good." Get over yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anarchyrepublica
Apr 3, 2006
The most horrid flaw of humanity is our inability to comprehend our own experiences

DoctorScurvy posted:

Within the last couple of years there was a thread somewhere around here (GBS or perhaps PYF) that was focussed on creepy short stories. I haven't been able to find it again even when search was functioning, but perhaps you might recognise some of these scenes. These are all very short, creepy almost-horror stories.

1. There is a small village wherein lives a child with demonic powers. After he 'clawed out' of his mother's womb, he somehow separated the village from the rest of the world after the doctor tried to kill him - the village members don't know whether they were taken away or the rest of the world was destroyed. He has omnipotent telekinetic powers and can read people's thoughts, so those around him put great effort into thinking about nothing, lest he read their mind and 'help'. Near the start of the story, a fellow on his bike accidentally thinks about getting away from the child so he (the child) wills the guy's feet to pedal at incredible speeds. When someone threatens the boy he 'buries them in the field'. The main problem in the story is that they are running out of food and the weather is too hot (or cold), but they are trying not to ask the child for help because his definition of helping always comes out in the "be careful what you wish for" fashion.

2. Some unnatural force has caused a "change" in the world, where ordinary objects change their function sporadically. Someone is out on the road when a Change occurs and they sink into the pavement.

3. Humanity has discovered that they can solve the population crisis by expanding into parallel dimensions. A supercomputer, which I believe discovered the dimensions, analyses each version of Earth for suitability for life, and because there's an infinite number of dimensions, each family gets a house built on their very own planet. Problems occur when one of the Earths is discovered to suddenly have life on it, and we learn that among those infinite realities exist other civilisations who have also figured out the trick to shifting between dimensions (they speak German; in their reality WWII was won by Hitler). In the end of the story, one of the earths has an alien presence that breaks into the occupant's house and is presumably going to figure out how to use the dimension gate. I think this is an Asimov story.

I don't know, but it sounds like Orson Scott Card to me. Each family receiving their own planet is a very Scott Card motif (Mormon).

anarchyrepublica
Apr 3, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

This is a long shot, but I remember a book that was shown to me that you could read in a circle, as in you could start reading from any point in the book and it would flow nicely till the page prior to the one you started on. I have no idea what it looks like, or what it was about, or even when the book was created. I'm not expecting an answer, but google has failed me and this seemed like it might work. Thanks and good luck, I guess.

Thousand Years of Solitude by Garcia Marquez is like that.