Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mickey mousecapade
Apr 16, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Ugh, I've had one stuck in the back of my mind for like 2 years now. It was a sci-fi novel, and it was a collection of 17 or so short stories. I think the title was "A Collection of Universes" or something along those lines, although I can't find a book by that title. I only remember a few of the short stories it contained, but they were all really good.

One revolved around a planet completely barren of people, and farming robots suddenly realize there aren't any people and decide to set out to find some, although it just degenerates into the most advanced of the robots destroying the rest of them.

Another one was about Earth, and how after space travel became wide spread every planet was named Earth in one form or another, to the point where no one knew the original Earth.

Yet another revolved around a dystopian future where a huge percentage of the Earth was barren, and the wealthy elite lived in mansions on the last habitable bit of soil, while the "wilds" ran around and generally died out. The focus of the story was the crazy daughter of one of the wealthy elite meets up with a wild and they get it on.

I've been really racking my brain trying to find this book, it was really good because all of the stories were in a specific sequence and supposed to represent a timeline of the universe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mickey mousecapade
Apr 16, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Unkempt posted:

This sounds a lot like 'Who can Replace a Man?' by Brian Aldiss, in which case the book ought to be in this list. But it might not be.

Holy poo poo, this is it! Galaxies Like Grains of Sand... Man I was way off. Thanks loads!