Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This is a really stupid one, because if I remember correctly, the book wasn't terribly well-written in the first place, but for some reason i've been wanting to read it again, and can't remember the name of it.

It was a science fiction novel about a guy who is lazy and mostly useless, but who, through a series of really goofy events finds himself in control of a giant spaceship that is actually a gene bank. He ends up traveling around the universe to various planets who request something from the bank that they need in order to solve some ecological problem, (we need an animal that will eat this other animal) but he usually ends up screwing it up, sometimes on purpose.

If I remember correctly, the title is the guy's name, and its some really ridiculous name like "Pyle" or something. I read the book when I was in high school.. I think in the mid 90s, though it could have been after that.

I also can remember, with near perfect clarity, that the cover features this dude, who is sort of rotund and bald, sitting on a chair in the ship surrounded by cats. (cats feature prominently in the book as well if I recall)

This is driving me absolutely nuts. The really stupid thing is that it's probably a Heinlein book or something. Man, that will be embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

thrakkorzog posted:

I read the stories back when I was a kid, call it late 80's early 90's. It was young adult, sort of Baby Sitters Club, Hardy Boys-ish for the target audience. It was a series of books with a brother and sister living next door to The Munsters basically. The Monster neighbors kind of came off as weird ethnic neighbors. I remember Mambo Italiano was always playing in the background. With a Vampire boy and possibly a werewolf girl pretty much becoming BFFs with the main characters. I remember the monster boy was a vampire because he was always flying around on the covers.

Anybody remember this series?

Samatha Slade, Monster sitter? Not quite what you were talking about, but it does feature a family of "monsters" and the brother is a vampire, and the sister is a werewolf, and it is a young adult baby sitters club sorta thing. I read this series when I was too young to realize that I was essentially reading a series of books for girls. I admit it freely, because this is something awful, and nobody ever mocks anyone for embarrassing admissions.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Piell posted:

It's Tuf Voyaging, by George R. R. Martin.

Ah hah! Martin. Huh, I didn't think he did anything but the Song of Ice and Fire series. As per normal, I am an wrong.

You however, Piell, are the epitome of awesome.