Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm looking for the title/author of a short story. I read it in the last year, but I have been checking out SF short-story compilations from the school's (sizable) library endlessly, so I have no idea when it was from.

The story begins with a snowy day, people fighting their way to this presentation (dissertation defense?) where the student had created a program designed to write poetry or prose at the same level of skill as a real human being. There are various characters present - faculty members, some of the science faculty and some of the arts faculty. There is a drunken artist-in-residence poet. They need a short 'seed phrase' of some sort to give the program a central idea to write the story about, so they use a bit from a physics textbook about two mirrors, facing each other, about how the reflection each time gets darker and further away.

The computer writes a story that's basically the same as the story up until that point, except the characters are more blunt and more dirty. They go through the same thing, three or four more times, and each time the story is darker, shorter, blunter, and the characters are more direct. The very last story is something really short, just "Hope." Then it has "THE END" five times in a row (one for each story).

...Halp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

criptozoid posted:

Sounds like a cool story. I don't know the name, but perhaps you can find it listed the Recursive Science Fiction page.

I actually think I'm going to go to the library and do some trolling through the books to see if I can find it. Now that I've been thinking about it, it's really bothering me.

I didn't see it on the Recursive SF page, but then again, that is a pretty long list, so... yeah.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ignoranus posted:

I'm looking for the title/author of a short story. I read it in the last year, but I have been checking out SF short-story compilations from the school's (sizable) library endlessly, so I have no idea when it was from.

The story begins with a snowy day, people fighting their way to this presentation (dissertation defense?) where the student had created a program designed to write poetry or prose at the same level of skill as a real human being. There are various characters present - faculty members, some of the science faculty and some of the arts faculty. There is a drunken artist-in-residence poet. They need a short 'seed phrase' of some sort to give the program a central idea to write the story about, so they use a bit from a physics textbook about two mirrors, facing each other, about how the reflection each time gets darker and further away.

The computer writes a story that's basically the same as the story up until that point, except the characters are more blunt and more dirty. They go through the same thing, three or four more times, and each time the story is darker, shorter, blunter, and the characters are more direct. The very last story is something really short, just "Hope." Then it has "THE END" five times in a row (one for each story).

...Halp?

Someone else found it for me - it's entitled "Silicon Muse", by Hilbert Schenck. Published in the Oxford Book of Science Fiction, ed. Tom Shippey.

Unfortunately, it's in the library of my old school, and not my current one, so I'll have to go to greater lengths to get it...

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
A few years ago I read one (or maybe two?) SF books that I'm trying to identify. They clearly left off with a sequel setup and I'd like to know if my assumptions were right, but it seems that I must have borrowed the book from the library because I can't figure out what it was and it's not on my bookshelf.

The book opens in a future where an advanced race of benevolent aliens have come to Earth. They have a mastery of biotechnology, including human-compatible biotech, so they trade their specially-engineered cells to humans. I think they are some kind of special cell that can be used like a stem cell and replace any human organ and heal any problem. These aliens are weird and religious but seem harmless.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it turns out that they are not so harmless. They have received a tachyonic message from the future that they believe to have come from God; this message says "bring all the intelligences you can to me here, at the end of time", so they've taken that on as a long-term quest. When some Earthly governments or spy agencies or something figure out that the aliens are not so friendly, the aliens pull the trigger and attack humanity. All the biotech they gave humans starts changing and anyone with the cells in their bodies gets cocooned by their own flesh and kidnapped by the aliens.

Humanity manages to get through this attack (I don't remember how).
I'm not actually sure if that's the complete first book and the remaining stuff I remember is a book 2, or if this is all in one, but humans build ships and travel out to look for where the aliens came from. I think they build colony ships, travel to new stars, make colonies and live as long as they can before the aliens show up and attack them again. These colonies build more ships and continue to run. At the same time, the expanding wave of humanity is looking for the aliens. Eventually they find a major alien stronghold, which is enclosed in a bubble of relativity-manipulated time so that the aliens can travel forward in time without aging to reach the "end of time" and meet their god.

There's also a plot thread in that second section about humans seeding a colony in close orbit around a neutron star. When they reach this colony, they find that the people they placed there have become super-advanced in a short time because the relativistic effects of the gravity of the star mean they've had a lot of time to develop.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I vaguely recall reading something like this, but damned if I can remember what.

I figured it out - it's the "Salvation Sequence" books by Peter F. Hamilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Narzack posted:

Very very long shot, but it was a short story in one of our 6th grade English(Reading) textbooks, so mid-nineties. It was a story about a guy stuck on a planet by himself being stalked by some hideous monster, and at the end he sees himself reflected in a puddle of water and you realize that he's the monster. All scraggly hair and wild eyes and junk.

This sounds like HP Lovecraft's "The Outsider" to me.