Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I have a pretty weird and vague one.

I'm not sure if I've actually ever read the entire thing, or just a page, and I'm also not sure whether it's a short story or a novel.

The only thing I remember is some sort of necrophilic scene with 3 or 4 people in a room, one of whom is dead. I'm fairly sure there's a little girl involved (who may or may not be the dead one) and there's some fascination with the dead person's eye. I'm not sure if they actually have sex with the corpse, but there's supposed to be an erotic atmosphere (a very hosed up one, obviously).

For some reason I have the feeling that the story is quite old, and may have been written by someone who wrote some famous novels/stories, like Poe.

Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

VOICEOFTHEDRAGON posted:

That sounds like a scene from The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.

Hmm, I wouldn't know where I would have come across that, but I'll check it out, thanks :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Sweetwater Kill posted:

What immediately comes to mind for me is Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille.

Yes, that's it! Thanks so much :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Two books:

1. A children's book about a kid who lives in a house where all the appliances suddenly turn not monsters. I distinctly remember there being an alligator.

2. Slight chance that this is a movie instead of a book, but I don't think so: I can't remember anything about the plot but it's a thriller/sic-fi story in the not too distant future. A man is in a room (possibly a hotel room?) using some technological device that lets him live in someone else's body, or something like that. I think there were electrodes or wires involved, and here was another person in the room. Possibly a Stephen King story, definitely quite eerie.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Annoyingly, the two main book store chains around where I live have gone bankrupt, so it'll be fairly difficult to find them. Nevertheless, at least now I know what to keep an eye out for!

Booko.com.au is your friend. You can thank me later :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

This is a long shot but I'd feel like an rear end if it turned out to be right and I didn't suggest it: Fear Street?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

OK, this is a long shot, and almost certainly wrong, but could you be thinking of "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been," by Joyce Carol Oates? The climax of the story is a girl alone in her house, being pursued by a mysterious creep-o, while her parents and the rest of her family are away at a barbecue. The story is from the late '60s, and is the sort of thing that pops up in English classes.

That's funny because it reminded me of another Joyce Carol Oates story, Strip Poker, which is about a girl vacationing in her family's cottage, but then she goes off with some older guys who get her drunk and make her play strip poker. As far as I can tell that story is from 2011 though.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its a post apocalyptic novel with a self sustained town in a mountainous area that guards the roads in. For some reason some military types show up to confront the townspeople. I remember tanks coming up the road and the decision whether or not to fight them.

Robert McCammon's Swan Song has a scene very much like that, it was published in 1987.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

Secondly, I read a story about an office building, or other building full of people, that came under attack from a nutjob who walked around gunning down everyone in sight. The whacko finally corners some character, and gives a crazy speech about how much he hates liars but also hates to be told things he doesn't want to hear, or something to that effect, and offers to let the character go if the character answers just one question completely honestly: "Do you think I'm crazy?"

Not a story but a novel, could this be Joshua Ferris's Then We Came to the End?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I'm fairly sure is considered to be an example of magical realism. I'm think the author is Latin American, though I know it isn't Marquez and I don't think it's Cortazar, either. It deals with two (?) people in a house that slowly get forced into a smaller and smaller area of the home by something unseen. I think all they hear is noises, and the house is basically taken over by them, but the characters don't respond with fear or anything. They just kind of shrug and and accept that the rooms are now off-limits. I almost want to say it's a brother and sister living together, though it could be a husband and wife as well, and the woman knits.

I know that's all kind of vague and a lot of it is half-remembered, but I'm curious if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about.

I know this probably isn't it, but it sounds very similar to a story in Nicole Krauss's The History of Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Sixfools posted:

The other involves a kid who falls asleep or something and ends up in world where no one sleeps and it's against the law. He meets a townie from where he lives that says he's dreaming because milk duds don't melt in his pockets. I may have had to return to this the library before I finished it.
This sounds a little bit like DC Pierson's The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To