Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
the neck on the fender jazz felt the best to me. i liked the full rock sound of the Thunderbird but it didn't seem like it had a lot of tonal options, plus the weight distribution was a little wacky (not that you'd notice if it were strapped)

My advice is to get whatever one feels the best to you and sounds right, i honestly didn't notice much of a difference in feel between the fender P and the fender J... but i'm pretty sure the necks are different...

the T-bird definitely looks the coolest in my book, and it sounds nice (scroll up a bit for the sound sample 3toes put up...) so if the neck on that suits you, it's not a bad buy for $300. (but as has been said you can find a pretty great used instrument for $300... there's really no reason to buy new unless you can't find what you want used.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Archr5 posted:

My advice is to get whatever one feels the best to you and sounds right, i honestly didn't notice much of a difference in feel between the fender P and the fender J... but i'm pretty sure the necks are different...

The neck on the Jazz is more tapered and narrower and the body is slightly larger and has the "offset" design to it.

The Precision is less tapered and narrow and has a smaller body. If you put them up next to each other you WILL be able to see the difference.

A P-bass Special has a narrower jazz neck with a smaller precision body.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

qball posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Thunderbird IV?

Yes and I absolutely loved mine and wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Its great for rock tones and can even do some vintage motown type sounds if you dial it in just right. It is by no means a modern-sounding instrument, and I dug the hell out of that.

The only downside of the T-bird is the neck-dive. Epiphone really should have put the strap lug behind the neck instead of on the (non-existent) horn. But you can always move it yourself.

In case you missed it on the last page, here are some soundclips of me loving around on my Tbird. Neck pickup, Bridge pickup, both pickups.

edit: Actually the last part is probably neck volume at 70% and bridge at 50% with tone on full. It was my preferred setting on it.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 8, 2008

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

3toes posted:

Yes and I absolutely loved mine and wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Its great for rock tones and can even do some vintage motown type sounds if you dial it in just right. It is by no means a modern-sounding instrument, and I dug the hell out of that.

The only downside of the T-bird is the neck-dive. Epiphone really should have put the strap lug behind the neck instead of on the (non-existent) horn. But you can always move it yourself.

In case you missed it on the last page, here are some soundclips of me loving around on my Tbird. Neck pickup, Bridge pickup, both pickups.

edit: Actually the last part is probably neck volume at 70% and bridge at 50% with tone on full. It was my preferred setting on it.

I can't believe I missed that on the last page, probably because I was reading it at work and not listening to the sound clips.

The Thunderbird is on to of my list at the moment. I love Gibson body style and I'm a big fan of vintage sounds anyway. As long as it's as good as the MIM Fender basses which I can probably get for the same price here, I'm all good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

qball posted:

I can't believe I missed that on the last page, probably because I was reading it at work and not listening to the sound clips.

The Thunderbird is on to of my list at the moment. I love Gibson body style and I'm a big fan of vintage sounds anyway. As long as it's as good as the MIM Fender basses which I can probably get for the same price here, I'm all good.

I'd put it above an MIM Fender. I have never been let down by an Epiphone product and I've owned like 4.

Edit: I also think that mine might have been an older one. I could have sworn when I bought it, the specs said that the wings were mahogany instead of all Alder, but I can't remember to be sure... Shouldn't make much of a difference though.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I've been learning bass on my roommate's old Squier Affinity P-Bass, and I was looking to purchase my own. I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment and I'm trying to decide between a new SX SJB-62 and a used Ibanez SR400 that somebody is selling in my area for $150. Anybody want to take a side in this debate?

I love electrical junk and getting my hands dirty, so I'll happily rewire and shield whatever I need to. In other words, don't let initial setup be a factor in your advice.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Archr5 posted:

to anyone keeping score, this thread has aided in the purchase of another bass.

I went up to GC to get a Squier vintage mod 70's jazz bass... they didn't have one in stock.

long story short the manager had just gotten a MIM Fender J bass with an SKB hard case. he pulled the bass apart, cleaned it, polished the frets replaced the strings and set it up. He even tossed in a 10' cable because i mentioned that the only cable i had came with my Epiphone SG special starter kit i bought a long time ago.

and he felt bad that the Squier wasn't in stock so he didn't charge me for the strings the set up or the case! $279 out the door for the whole deal!

since I don't have an amp for the bass i bought the Bass pack for my Line 6 guitarport, which worked out great too, $49 bucks for 28 amp models and 22 Cab models with 16 pre-set tones.

the Sennheiser HD 212Pros I've been using with the guitarport sound great at lower frequencies so it may be quite some time before i buy an actual bass amp.

Are the models in the bass pack any good, I found the ones that came with it as standard lackluster and got a better sound out of one of the guitar amp models.

Stux fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 8, 2008

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
well the guitar port doesn't actually come with ANY bass models...

the bass pack's preset tones are pretty similar, some have a little more mid-high tone than others.. and there's like one distorted preset.

However, there are a LOT of amps and cab combinations you can play with, and i find that the amp cab combos let me pick a tone i like (clear tones with lots of definition for practice so i can tell if my notes are sounding correctly, and muddy distorted insane reverb poo poo for screwing around)

i'd say it's worth $50 on the guitarport. I wasn't thrilled with how the default guitar presets sounded with the bass... everything except the G and D strings sounded muted and muddy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Archr5 posted:

well the guitar port doesn't actually come with ANY bass models...

the bass pack's preset tones are pretty similar, some have a little more mid-high tone than others.. and there's like one distorted preset.

However, there are a LOT of amps and cab combinations you can play with, and i find that the amp cab combos let me pick a tone i like (clear tones with lots of definition for practice so i can tell if my notes are sounding correctly, and muddy distorted insane reverb poo poo for screwing around)

i'd say it's worth $50 on the guitarport. I wasn't thrilled with how the default guitar presets sounded with the bass... everything except the G and D strings sounded muted and muddy.

Ah I have the toneport kb37 which came with a couple of bass amps and cabs, but they all have a lack in high/high mid end from what I've found.

Thanks for the info, looks like thats something else on my "to buy" list :sigh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

looking to start out on the bass after 10 years of non-serious guitar playing where I'm just sorta okay.
I've been looking at the Squires and Epiphones and I really like the look of the Squire Bronco Bass where the reviews say it kinda feels halfway between a strat and a real bass. Are there any opinions on it as a cheap transitional or an actual keeper?
They say you have to replace the stock 'strat' pickup to get any decent range, but it being a learning/ home demo tool I'm not too worried for now (and if the range is significantly less I could probably keep my standard practice amp, right?)
I like the way it looks and it's short scale, but should I just spend a bit more for a Squire P or Jass bass and just learn the longer neck?

I'd only give myself a couple of hundred to spend and if I move up in basses it might be a fun curiosity to keep around.

what do you guys think?

An Exploding Man
Jun 21, 2007

by Ozma
Anybody know of good basses in the $150-200 price range? This'll be my first bass and I was originally going to get this Rondo, but if I could get something better in the price range I wouldn't want to miss it.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

An Exploding Man posted:

Anybody know of good basses in the $150-200 price range? This'll be my first bass and I was originally going to get this Rondo, but if I could get something better in the price range I wouldn't want to miss it.
I have heard that the SX instruments aren't as good as the other brands that Rondo sells. I personally wouldn't trust a guitar that retails that cheap and has a quilt maple top, because it seems like a disproportionate portion of the price would be in that top.

You should be able to find a used Fender clone of some sort for that money. Check eBay and local music shops. Pretty much every guitar company has made them in the past. You could also look for Ibanez Soundgear, Epiphone T-bird, Cort, Peavey, whatever. There are plenty of serviceable basses in that price range.

ECTO-1 posted:

what do you guys think?

I've never heard a word of good about the Squier Affinity line.

If you're going for entry-level instruments, I'd go with Ibanez.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar?sku=516148

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

PenguinBob posted:

I personally wouldn't trust a guitar that retails that cheap and has a quilt maple top, because it seems like a disproportionate portion of the price would be in that top.

I'm fairly sure most of those quilt-top SXs aren't quilted wood. It's a graphic that's printed on underneath the finish.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Well, it looks like I'll be playing bass in a band now, so it's time to sell some guitar gear. I've nearly finished lining up a trade for a used MIM P-Bass with a gig bag and hard case.

Which brings me to this:

PenguinBob posted:

A lot of people also swap out the stock bridge. Many will recommend the Leo Quan Badass II, which is a lot more massive than the stock bridge and apparently leaves a lot more high harmonics in the sound. You would have to file the saddles yourself. There's also the Gotoh 201, which is also heavier but is mechanically the same as a stock Fender bridge, and will sound similar. I've still got the stock bridge on my old Jazz, FWIW.

I was thinking about doing this, and I was wondering what you meant by "filing the saddles yourself." Is the Badass II not fully set up from the factory?

EDIT: Might as well just add my next question to this post:
I'm selling my old Tokai Strat to get money for bass gear, and someone wants to trade me for a Larrivee bass from the 80's. Assuming it's in decent shape, would this be a good deal?

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 18, 2008

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this. I didn't want to start another thread, because this seemed to fit.

My husband and I are going to try our hands at stringed instruments, him the guitar and myself the bass. We've both done music for many years, so reading notes is not an issue, and theory we are pretty okay on. However, neither of us know anything about the instruments or really anything else.

We want to do electric. I was looking at the Ibanez basses (the one I like is pretty and blue, which of course is the best way to pick out an instrument!), because they seemed to be very popular for beginning instruments, and the internet liked them. But I see lots of other brands in this thread.

I'm also looking for what people recommend doing first. We will be doing lessons, as we don't know even know how to hold the instruments properly. What are reasonable goals to achieve within a year? At what point does it become plausible to be able to play a song? Is the theory terribly different from wind instruments or piano? What is important lino I should know before I go look like an idiot?

Any help anyone could give me would be awesome. Feel free to PM or IM me too. I have a ton to learn, so any information will help.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bubble Babble posted:

I'm hoping this is the right place to put this. I didn't want to start another thread, because this seemed to fit.

My husband and I are going to try our hands at stringed instruments, him the guitar and myself the bass. We've both done music for many years, so reading notes is not an issue, and theory we are pretty okay on. However, neither of us know anything about the instruments or really anything else.

We want to do electric. I was looking at the Ibanez basses (the one I like is pretty and blue, which of course is the best way to pick out an instrument!), because they seemed to be very popular for beginning instruments, and the internet liked them. But I see lots of other brands in this thread.

I'm also looking for what people recommend doing first. We will be doing lessons, as we don't know even know how to hold the instruments properly. What are reasonable goals to achieve within a year? At what point does it become plausible to be able to play a song? Is the theory terribly different from wind instruments or piano? What is important lino I should know before I go look like an idiot?

Any help anyone could give me would be awesome. Feel free to PM or IM me too. I have a ton to learn, so any information will help.

Being able to read sheet-music already puts you miles ahead on the learning curve, same with theory. Although you'll be (at least I assume) reading bass clef now.

The hardest part for you will just be technique, but since you've played piano and wind instruments, your fingers should be in great shape in terms of dexterity; being able to position them. As a bass player with limber fingers, you'll also probably be able to sound notes with 3 or even 4 of the fingers on your right hand, a HUGE plus. Being able to hit triplets and quadruplets is a big achievement.

I'd say within a few months (with a good teacher) you'll be able to play along with simple basslines; easy country-western/bluegrass and slow R&B or Motown. And more importantly know how/why the lines were formed in such a way (the theory).

It really just depends on your teacher, there are basically two types... those who will teach you theory and proper technique, and those who will just teach you to play whatever songs you want to learn. Definitely go with the former.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I have a similar situation to Bubble Babble. But its not a spouse and we aren't taking formal lessons.

I have about two years of half assed classical guitar (had a private instructor against my wishes), but the last time I really played was about 10 years ago. I have recently been messing around with bass tabs and playing to popular songs. I have also been slowly grinding through a book, but its not much of an instant gratification.

My friend is a moderate "picked it up in college and can read notes" type of guitarist suggested we play together. He suggested I learn how to read the bass clef well, and not much else. The lesson book is pretty scant as well.

So we aren't taking lessons together or anything, just wanted to get together like once a week and play. In the meantime while I re-learn how to read notes, what sort of songs would be easy for us to start with? If he is strumming along to chords can't I just play the root and third and fifth of his chord?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

CatchrNdRy posted:

If he is strumming along to chords can't I just play the root and third and fifth of his chord?

Yes, this is perfectly fine. Also try just playing the scale (up and down) for whatever chord he plays. Mix it up a bit as you get more comfortable. Above all else though, keep the beat. When everyone, even the drummer is soloing, it falls on the bassists shoulders to hold them all in place and keep them from getting off key, tempo, and rhythm.

I haven't seen much talk about exercises in this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and throw out the "spider" exercise:

1. Place all four fingers of your left hand on adjacent frets on the D string (I recommend starting on the 12th fret).
2. Without lifting any other finger off the string, move your index finger up to the G string. Next (still without lifting any other finger, including the index finger) move your middle finger up to the G string, and then repeat with your ring and pinky fingers.
3. Now try going from the G back down to the D string (same order, index finger first)

Eventually you should be able to start on the E string and climb all the way up to the G string and back down again. This exercise is great for building finger strength. I recommend moving your fingers in time with a metronome (100-200bpm), and if you want a little more challenge, pluck the two strings your fingers are on (alternating) with your right hand.

Most people find that going up one string with the ring finger is the most difficult part of this exercise, so don't be discouraged if the ring finger gives you trouble.

I could post some picture examples if anyone needs them.

Jelly!
Feb 15, 2007

pAPYruS mEMBeR
I just purchased a bass(Ibanez) and an amp.

I got a book, which I thought was going to teach me the basics, but it turned out the book was mainly scales (lol).

Im making another purchase(musiciansfriend) for my bass, I'm getting a case, headphones, cloth, and a strap. Wondering what else I should get and whats a good book to get from MusiciansFriend. If I cant get it from musiciansfriend, I'll get it somewhere else, but for convenience, wondering if there are any good books from the site. (money not an issue)

TIA

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Mighty Scoop posted:

I was thinking about doing this, and I was wondering what you meant by "filing the saddles yourself." Is the Badass II not fully set up from the factory?

right. it comes with flat saddles.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
So here's my other question:

If I get this bass, what amp should I get to go with it? I like it because it is pretty and the reviews seemed good, although I really don't have anything to bass my like on besides the color. :)

I'm not looking for anything loud. I'm really looking for something that sounds good at low volume, because we live in a tiny development. Any cheap yet decent suggestions?

I'd like to order an amp sooner rather than later, as my husband's stuff will be coming in this week as well.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Holy poo poo. I just got an SX SJB-62 LPB in the mail and this thing is built like a loving tank. The electronics are nothing to write home about, but this thing is incredibly solid and feels great. The finish is amazing - lake placid blue is beautiful. The neck only needed a little adjusting and the frets are even. How the gently caress did I only pay $120 for this thing?

I tried the Ibanez I mentioned in my earlier post and it felt like plastic.

Edit: If it's between a low-end (Affinity Series) Squier and an SX, I'd go with the SX. It's like night and day between this and my roommate's Squier.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 24, 2008

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Boogan Bear posted:

Yes, this is perfectly fine. Also try just playing the scale (up and down) for whatever chord he plays. Mix it up a bit as you get more comfortable. Above all else though, keep the beat. When everyone, even the drummer is soloing, it falls on the bassists shoulders to hold them all in place and keep them from getting off key, tempo, and rhythm.

I haven't seen much talk about exercises in this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and throw out the "spider" exercise:

1. Place all four fingers of your left hand on adjacent frets on the D string (I recommend starting on the 12th fret).
2. Without lifting any other finger off the string, move your index finger up to the G string. Next (still without lifting any other finger, including the index finger) move your middle finger up to the G string, and then repeat with your ring and pinky fingers.
3. Now try going from the G back down to the D string (same order, index finger first)

Eventually you should be able to start on the E string and climb all the way up to the G string and back down again. This exercise is great for building finger strength. I recommend moving your fingers in time with a metronome (100-200bpm), and if you want a little more challenge, pluck the two strings your fingers are on (alternating) with your right hand.

Most people find that going up one string with the ring finger is the most difficult part of this exercise, so don't be discouraged if the ring finger gives you trouble.

I could post some picture examples if anyone needs them.

I think I got the idea. I remember it being described by my old guitar instructor as using your fingers like a spider who moves one leg at a time.

Do you or anyone know of popular (ie easy to recognize, not necessarily "good") songs with an easy bass and guitar combo?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bump because Im still considering something for first bass.
How okay are SX J&P bass copies, really?
I was window shopping and these were about the cheapest in sight, so I assumed they must be awful, but on harmony-central the reviews are pretty good compared to more expensive Squires.

Any experiences?

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007
Kawasakis! Maicos! PURSANG!

Mighty Scoop posted:

This is true, as pointed out above. Buy a Badass III instead - exactly the same bridge, but they come with the grooves already filed in.

I bought a Badass II to stick on my Peavey Milestone, and went to a guitar shop to have it stuck on and set up. The fucker who did the job didn't know he had to file the saddles down. I was stupid, and didn't ask them to do it for free afterwards. Annoying as that was, it hasn't caused me any problems yet with string slippage, and I'm getting them filed for free soon when I get the pickups replaced.

The Peavey was a drat good bass for a beginner, if the OP is still browsing for instruments I second the notion of Peavey. At this point however, I'm basically turning the thing into a cheaper Jazz Bass. Badass bridge, Fender noiseless pickups going in soon, it already has a very similar neck to a J bass. Buying the real thing soon as I can afford it.

Going with the previous sentiment, we don't need any more Les Claypool wannabe's. Unless you really kick arse at finger-tapping, then by all means go for it!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

ECTO-1 posted:

Bump because Im still considering something for first bass.
How okay are SX J&P bass copies, really?
I was window shopping and these were about the cheapest in sight, so I assumed they must be awful, but on harmony-central the reviews are pretty good compared to more expensive Squires.

Any experiences?

My experience so far has been lovely. Like I said in my earlier post, it required a small neck adjustment when I received it, but other than that it's been great. So far I've replaced the pots and shielded the control cavity, which made a nice difference for a $15 investment. My next upgrade is probably going to be a set of GFS pickups, though my tinkering brain may not settle for anything less than making my own.

I like it because I know it'll grow with me. You may feel more comfortable spending the extra $100 on a Vintage Modified Squier and having a better bass out of the box, but there's no replacing the learning experience of busting out your soldering iron and spending the money you saved on upgrades.

Addendum: Part of why I like this bass so much is because it appeals to my DIY sensibilities. If you don't have the drive or need to gently caress with the things you buy, you might not like it as much. That being said, it's a steal and a half for $120.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

CatchrNdRy posted:

Do you or anyone know of popular (ie easy to recognize, not necessarily "good") songs with an easy bass and guitar combo?

I accidentally started playing "Hash Pipe" by Weezer and I don't know poo poo about poo poo. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Clicktrack posted:

This is true, as pointed out above. Buy a Badass III instead - exactly the same bridge, but they come with the grooves already filed in.

This is wrong. The Badass III is designed for MIA Fenders that have three mounting holes: http://www.music123.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-III-Replacement-Bass-Bridge-Grooved-463590-i1144463.Music123

The Badass II has five holes and is a direct drop-in replacement for your normal bridges.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007
Kawasakis! Maicos! PURSANG!

crazyfish posted:

This is wrong. The Badass III is designed for MIA Fenders that have three mounting holes: http://www.music123.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-III-Replacement-Bass-Bridge-Grooved-463590-i1144463.Music123

The Badass II has five holes and is a direct drop-in replacement for your normal bridges.

Mybad, sorry for the misinformation.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

CatchrNdRy posted:

I am looking for this too. A book I can order would be great if there is nothing accessible online. We just need either readable music or tabs, because we can figure out most of it from there.

So far I've had just one lesson, but I'm eating it up. It's just like piano but different, and also my piano was never blue, so that automatically makes me happy. :) However, I'd like to rock out to something more awesome than Ode to Joy in our beginner books.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Bubble Babble posted:

I am looking for this too. A book I can order would be great if there is nothing accessible online. We just need either readable music or tabs, because we can figure out most of it from there.

So far I've had just one lesson, but I'm eating it up. It's just like piano but different, and also my piano was never blue, so that automatically makes me happy. :) However, I'd like to rock out to something more awesome than Ode to Joy in our beginner books.

That Ingrid Michaelson song "The Way I Am" is pretty easy to play and find tabs for. So is, "Stand By me" and the aforementioned "Hash Pipe". Unfortunately, there isn't much of an acoustic guitar part in any.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've been looking to make a (double) jump from acoustic guitar to electric bass for a while now, seeing as I have a better hand at rhythm than melody. Seeing as I might get a pretty lucrative internship this summer, I figured I'd reward myself with a decent starting bass. The douches at the local store keep trying to push those Squier Affinity starter kits on me, and I'd rather not get something that I might outgrow in a matter of weeks.

I've been looking around a bit, and for now I'm leaning towards this Epiphone SG Bass. I love the sound and look of the Gibson SG, which for now is beyond my league, so this came up as a best choice for me.

No real idea for an amp, friend of mine recommended getting a Crate combo amp, and I just need a basic practice amp for now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

I've been looking to make a (double) jump from acoustic guitar to electric bass for a while now, seeing as I have a better hand at rhythm than melody. Seeing as I might get a pretty lucrative internship this summer, I figured I'd reward myself with a decent starting bass. The douches at the local store keep trying to push those Squier Affinity starter kits on me, and I'd rather not get something that I might outgrow in a matter of weeks.

I've been looking around a bit, and for now I'm leaning towards this Epiphone SG Bass. I love the sound and look of the Gibson SG, which for now is beyond my league, so this came up as a best choice for me.

No real idea for an amp, friend of mine recommended getting a Crate combo amp, and I just need a basic practice amp for now.

I've been looking at one myself, mainly because it's the only SG-style bass currently in production that is long-scale. Don't know about it for a starter bass though... What kind of stuff are you going to want to play?

They have a very distinct tone and aren't well suited for everything.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm not 100% sure yet, but I definitely favor progressive/instrumental rock. I came to this initial choice of bass based on a few bands I liked, but I have to admit at this point I'd have a hard time telling one bass from another by sound.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a Gibson bass, particularly the EB-0, 3, and 4. But it's definitely not for everyone. I'd highly recommend playing one first if you can.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MancXVI posted:

My experience so far has been lovely. Like I said in my earlier post, it required a small neck adjustment when I received it, but other than that it's been great. So far I've replaced the pots and shielded the control cavity, which made a nice difference for a $15 investment. My next upgrade is probably going to be a set of GFS pickups, though my tinkering brain may not settle for anything less than making my own.

I like it because I know it'll grow with me. You may feel more comfortable spending the extra $100 on a Vintage Modified Squier and having a better bass out of the box, but there's no replacing the learning experience of busting out your soldering iron and spending the money you saved on upgrades.

Addendum: Part of why I like this bass so much is because it appeals to my DIY sensibilities. If you don't have the drive or need to gently caress with the things you buy, you might not like it as much. That being said, it's a steal and a half for $120.

I got one and its noisy and the strings buzz pretty bad, but boy is it fun to screw around with
This is what she looks like right now

an upside down sg pickguard works pretty well as a place to keep your hand, with one screw left high for a thumb rest.
I could keep all sorts of handy stuff in the circuitry cavity too :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

3toes posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a Gibson bass, particularly the EB-0, 3, and 4. But it's definitely not for everyone. I'd highly recommend playing one first if you can.

Well, I can't really get a feel for playing it if I don't know how to play. ...I guess that's why it's not really a starter bass.

Anyway, this idea hinges all on getting this internship, if I don't get anything I'll be doing plastic rock all summer instead. :drum:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Well, I can't really get a feel for playing it if I don't know how to play. ...I guess that's why it's not really a starter bass.

Anyway, this idea hinges all on getting this internship, if I don't get anything I'll be doing plastic rock all summer instead. :drum:

Well its just hard to explain. There's no reason why it can't be a starter bass, but it's just not very versatile for different styles of music.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I like the sound of it in MONO's songs, so I'll start there either way. But then, maybe that's just an overdrive pedal. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I've been looking into purchasing a bass for a few months now. although I am knowledgeable in some instruments, stringed is new to me. Like Jan, I'm more into the progressive metal/rock music and sort of want to recreate that sound, and I'm not sure where to start off with a beginning bass. The ones that I'm looking at (and like) right now are 6-stringed, but is 4-string basically the "starter"? Or does it not matter? I don't have any of the equipment, so I'm looking to spend $350-$400ish at most on everything I need to start off.