Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

oval office Puncher posted:

I didn't read too many other replies so this probably has been said already, but there's a ton of overlap between the skills required to play bass and guitar (left hands are virtually identical, co-ordination between picking/plucking and fretting etc.) so you can easily learn both at once.

I'd recommend getting a regular guitar teacher and starting out with a bass teacher to get your right hand technique sorted, after that you can likely drop the bass teacher or just take occasional lessons as many of the left hand and two hand techniques are virtually identical between the two instruments.

Re the instrument to buy, as with any new player I'd recommend a used instrument to start as you'll find a lot higher quality/price ratio. Tons of options here which I'm sure have been covered in the thread.

If you get a GOOD teacher you'll not only be learning the hand techniques but be learning to read sheet music and learning theory about the instrument and its role in a musical setting. Neither of which would be the same between guitar and bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I just got a bass guitar and an amp as a present and I'm pretty stoked! One of my friends is an accomplished guitarist/bassist and he told me he would be happy to share some pointers with me, but I've been reading up online and looking over a few books in the meantime.

At this point I'm not trying to do much but practice my scales/permutations and emulate a few songs using tabs online. Is that a pretty good way to get a feel for the instrument? Also, some of the songs I want to try and play are in drop D. Is there any reason I couldn't tune my bottom string to D or should I be doing it by ear?

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

There is nothing stopping you from dropping down to D.

The biggest thing you have to worry about when starting out is to get proper technique down, so you don't develop bad habits that are hard to get rid of. You should definitely get a lesson or two right away with a decent bass teacher or your friend, if you feel he has good technique.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Assuming I'm just trying to get my technical/physical stuff down for the time being, what are some good exercises to increase my reach/speed? I'm not trying to lay down Motown tracks or anything, obviously, but at this point the only things I can do with any semblance of speed are repeating notes. Anything requiring switching is totally lost on me.

Also, how much does your instrument have to do with your progression as a player? The reviews I read on my current bass (some Austin Bazaar piece of crap) are uniformly terrible, so I went ahead and bought the Ibanez suggested in this thread. I know a new bass isn't going to transform me into a virtuoso, but can I expect faster progression from a better instrument?

Edit: As far as technique goes I'm making sure to do everything with four fingers to four frets, and I always alternate my index and middle finger (and sometimes throw in my ring finger if the song allows me to do it without loving up too much). What are some other super-basic things I should be doing?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
This thread is really informative, thanks to everyone who contributed!

I'm finishing school and I'll have some money from graduation, and I'm planning on blowing all of it on music equipment. Studio monitors are my first purchase, a bass is next, and then I think I'm gonna get a synth with anything I have left over.

I'm pretty sure that bass is the right instrument for me, I mostly do electronic music (just me and a midi keyboard) and I'd like to add live bass rather than MIDI bass to my work, and learn a stringed instrument so if I'm ever in a band I can do more than stare at a screen. I'm good at rhythm and in my time loving around with bass guitars and regular guitars I enjoy playing the bass much more.

My budget is around $600 for bass and amp. I'd be recording directly into my computer I think so the amp would be for practicing. I like the Fender basses recommended in this thread (although I can't really tell the difference between the P and the J) so I'm leaning towards one of those, but hopefully you guys can give me some advice. I want this exclusively for electronic/house/disco/downtempo type music, no rock or metal or anything like that. What should I be looking for in a bass if that's what I want to do?

Also, how is bass amp modeling on computers? What are the biggest/best/worst programs or plug-ins that do it?

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Bass amp modeling is pretty decent. I run my bass into a line 6 and use the software that came with it. I barely use my amp anymore and when I do it is because I am too lazy to set up my computer. Ampeg has a program devoted to bass amp modeling, it is kinda fun to play with but I stick with the line 6.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

blingasaurus rex posted:

(although I can't really tell the difference between the P and the J)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU

That video should help. It was made to demonstrate the ability of a Lakland bass to produce P, J, and MM sounds with side-by-side comparisons, but it also does a good job of demonstrating the differences between each of those basses as well.

Honestly a Jazz bass would probably be best for you as it is the most versatile.

EDIT: But if we're going by versatility alone I'd recommend the Lakland but it's a bit out of the price-range

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2008

Marshmallow Cannon
Sep 25, 2007
New and Improved
If you're looking at a bass and you really want to get a synth as well you should really look at Squire basses, especially the Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (Youtube demo). Sounds slick (better than my Mexi-Jazz Bass), and most importantly, only runs about $275.

For your synth, I'd suggest either a Microkorg by Korg or a Micron by Alesis. There are tons of videos for both of them on Youtube if you want to hear sound samples. Both have MIDI capibility and both are super tiny which makes them nice and portable. They will both run from $250-500 depending on where you're looking. You can pick either one up on eBay for $250 easy.

I personally am biased towards the Microkorg, since I own one. Haven't got to play with a Micron, but I suppose it's decent enough. Looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price whereas the Microkorg looks like it was designed by Marty McFly and the 1983 Buick Car Interior Department (but that's why I love the MK :D )

If you want a cheap-o bass amp to practice on, I'm sure you can find several for around $150 or so.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Thanks for the advice guys! This thread has been informative.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
I have been looking to buy a Precision style bass for some time now and I was wondering what people think the best P bass in the $300-$500 price range. I am thinking about just buying the standard Fender P Bass but I figure it would be good to know what else is available before I purchase it. I saw the Peavey Fury on the first page and it sounded promising but I haven't been able to find any so far.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I've been looking at getting a bass for a while now (I play guitar) and was trying to decide between the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and the CIJ 75 Reissue Jazz Bass.

I've heard the 75 RI pickup spacing is a little different than a real 70's bass and changes the sound somewhat, I've also heard the Geddy is pretty bright sounding. I'm after a bass that has a bit of the 70's growl to it.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

PenguinBob posted:

I have heard that the SX instruments aren't as good as the other brands that Rondo sells. I personally wouldn't trust a guitar that retails that cheap and has a quilt maple top, because it seems like a disproportionate portion of the price would be in that top.

You should be able to find a used Fender clone of some sort for that money. Check eBay and local music shops. Pretty much every guitar company has made them in the past. You could also look for Ibanez Soundgear, Epiphone T-bird, Cort, Peavey, whatever. There are plenty of serviceable basses in that price range.

I've never heard a word of good about the Squier Affinity line.

If you're going for entry-level instruments, I'd go with Ibanez.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSRM20-Mikro-Short-Scale-Bass-Guitar?sku=516148

My first bass was a squier affinity j bass and it was actually pretty good.
I don't know very much from a technical perspective but I learned to love playing on it. Still got it and even though it has all the scratches ad dents you'd expect it doesn't sound that bad with new strings on it. Heavy though.
It worked fine for 2 and a half years and I only stopped playing it a few months ago when the nut that holds the jack plug in fell off and I'd bought a Warwick Rockbass to replace it anyway.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

scrabbleship posted:

I have been looking to buy a Precision style bass for some time now and I was wondering what people think the best P bass in the $300-$500 price range. I am thinking about just buying the standard Fender P Bass but I figure it would be good to know what else is available before I purchase it. I saw the Peavey Fury on the first page and it sounded promising but I haven't been able to find any so far.

In that price range if you buy used you could pick up a Fender US Highway 1 P bass, or if you look hard enough you could probably also find a Japanese or US made one which would be a step up from most MIM ones. If you're willing to look into basses that have a jazz pickup as well as a P pickup the G&L Tribute SB-2s are in that price range, you can pick one up new for under $500 and I've heard they're great instruments with the same electronics as the US ones. I've never tried the Tribute SB-2s but the Tribute L2000s are really nice for the money. Another P/J bass to look into would be the Ibanez RKB900, if you can find one for under $400 they're a killer deal but they're hard to come by used and they do have a really thick neck.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Josh Wow posted:

Another P/J bass to look into would be the Ibanez RKB900, if you can find one for under $400

hint: YOU CAN'T

god i want one so bad

casibanita
Jun 19, 2006

by Ozma
What kind of strings are you guys using? I just bought and Ernie Ball Hybrids and put them on and I'm not a big fan of the "twang" I'm getting with them. I play just about every style and slap and pop alot, so can anyone give me advice on a new set of nice deep strings?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

casibanita posted:

What kind of strings are you guys using? I just bought and Ernie Ball Hybrids and put them on and I'm not a big fan of the "twang" I'm getting with them. I play just about every style and slap and pop alot, so can anyone give me advice on a new set of nice deep strings?

Try some DR Fat Beams. Basically DR's "Marcus Miller" signature strings.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

casibanita posted:

Depends what you mean by deep.

For my P bass, I have a set of La Bella flats which provide a nice round bass tone.

For my Warmoth (outfitted with sadwosky electronics), I recently obtained a set of D'Addario Chromes. They are a little lighter than I wanted, but they were free (SXSW back in March). I have always opted for heavier gauge strings, but these... the sound they make... incredible. Deep, colored, pingy thumps all over from a single pluck.

Other basses - I usually go for the DR black beauties (for looks, but certainly not tone) or the plain DRs, which I've always loved out of the box.

I've been through cheaper strings and stings that just didn't hold up. I'd say, spend the extra dough on a set of strings, and you probably will not have to change them for a long time. You can also use the boil for 15 minutes method to refresh strings but it doesn't last that long thereafter.

mack
Mar 6, 2005
I'm looking to buy my first bass and get started. Right now I can't decide between these $200-300:

1. Ibanez GSR200
2. Ibanez GSR200FM
3. Epiphone SG EB-3
4. Ibanez SR300
5. Ibanez SR300DX

Just wondering which one is best suited for me and the best value for my money. I'm looking for a J-Bass, and will be using it to play in my friend's band. They don't gig yet, and most likely wont for another year or so, but they always get together in his garage and jam. So I want something that will last me at least a year in before I feel I need to upgrade.

If there's any other bass you guys recommend for that price point let me know, I don't know anything just going from reviews and such. The SR300/DX has 'active bass,' not exactly sure what that means but if it helps out a lot is it worth spending ~$50 more? Also what's the difference between te GSR200 to FM and the SR300 to DX?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Mack,

Not familiar with the individual models of the Ibanez's, but if you are looking for a J bass, I would suggest looking for used MIM's - they turn up in your price range and are easily upgradable but work very well out of the box, even used and especially set up properly. I've owned a few of them and gigged them many times. They hold up very very well and have that great J growl.

Only issue I have with the J's (which I still have one, but not MIM), turning the volumes up all the way on both pickups to eliminate the hum of the single coils.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mack posted:

I'm looking to buy my first bass and get started. Right now I can't decide between these $200-300:

1. Ibanez GSR200
2. Ibanez GSR200FM
3. Epiphone SG EB-3
4. Ibanez SR300
5. Ibanez SR300DX

Just wondering which one is best suited for me and the best value for my money. I'm looking for a J-Bass, and will be using it to play in my friend's band. They don't gig yet, and most likely wont for another year or so, but they always get together in his garage and jam. So I want something that will last me at least a year in before I feel I need to upgrade.

If there's any other bass you guys recommend for that price point let me know, I don't know anything just going from reviews and such. The SR300/DX has 'active bass,' not exactly sure what that means but if it helps out a lot is it worth spending ~$50 more? Also what's the difference between te GSR200 to FM and the SR300 to DX?

The FM means "Flame Maple" which is just a prettier wood grain veneer on top... nothing really substantial in terms of the bass itself. The DX seems to be the "Dynamix" pickups.

Active electronics means that you have an onboard active (powered by a 9v battery) EQ on the bass itself to help shape your tone. It really isn't anything necessary, a LOT of people prefer the sound of a passive bass.

Can't really go wrong with any of them. I learned on a GSR200 and it is a decent bass. Just go pick them up in a shop if you can and try them out.

Also, the EB-3 isn't a J-bass in any shape or form... and frankly I wouldn't consider any of those basses to be.

mack
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Hm, I think I might just go with a GSR200 since you can pick up a new one for $199.99. Would it be a bad idea to grab used one for $120-150 or so?

As for an amp, is there anything under $100 that's good enough to jam at my friend's garage and alone in my bedroom? I don't want to spend much more because I'm not going to be playing outside, and not having too much funds. In the off chance that I needed more power, my friend's dad has a HUGE amp set up I could always use.

Either way, I'm going to head over to Guitar Center Sunday to try them out. Only problem is that I don't know how to play it, so what can I do to test them out?

Edit: How is this amp? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-126-Bass-Practice-Combo-104003462-i1145641.gc

mack fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 26, 2008

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
On the subject of purchasing... how do you guys feel about the Epiphone Viola bass? I've always wanted a viola/violin bass and this one seems to be one of the cheaper more widely available options in the UK (so no rondo music violin bass for me).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Wow, I was going to start a new thread about this but then I noticed that my old thread was still on the first page of ML. Glad other people have been able to put it to use!

Anyway, I've returned looking for recommendations for a good bass practice amp. I've recently moved and space has become a huge issue, so I've been keeping my big amp at my friend's house in his studio so that I don't have to lug it back and forth every time we want to play. However, I still would like to play with an amp at home, so here's my criteria:

- Practice amps only; I'll probably be using headphones mostly anyway, but I'll definitely be playing at a low, respectable volume when I'm using the speaker since I live with five other people.
- Size is a big issue. The smaller the better. I have very little space in my room as it as and I'd like to able to easily get to the amp when I want to without pulling it out and moving stuff around.
- I'd like to be able to listen to the music from my computer/iPod through the amp so that when I play along it's all coming from one source.
- Effects are nice, but I have pedals too so I'd consider them a nice bonus.

I don't have a price point set, but obviously if there are good deals out there I'd like to become aware of them. I'd appreciate any and all help finding something!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
thegloaming - I have a few recommendations for you.

1) tascam mp3 bass trainer: http://www.google.com/products?q=ta...snum=1&ct=title

I think I picked mine up for about $140 on ebay.

2) if you want a small practice amp, I do have a small amp that is 100watts. It is an old early 80's Gallien Kreuger 200MB. I believe it is a 10". Has chorus, 4 band eq and compression. I need to part with it. The thing is small!

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
new bass player on the block, I've been self teaching myself for about three months so far and my biggest gripe is speed in general.

I've been working with 1234's but so far it's only doing so much, or maybe I'm not practicing them enough. would anyone have other means of increasing muscle memory?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Akur0 posted:

new bass player on the block, I've been self teaching myself for about three months so far and my biggest gripe is speed in general.

I've been working with 1234's but so far it's only doing so much, or maybe I'm not practicing them enough. would anyone have other means of increasing muscle memory?

Metronome. Metronome. Metronome. Speed isn't as important as being on time. Keep at it, just like in any sport or skill, take it slow and get it right before taking it at full speed.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I'm very good at mentally timing things but I guess you do have a point, can you reccomend a freeware metronome program?

*edit*

also could anyone reccomend some training tabs/tablatures/grooves?

Munoma fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2008

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
There really is no big secret other than practice.

I've always found it helpful to learn songs that I liked that had some challenge; it makes it much easier to practice and get better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Are you talking about fretting-hand speed, or fingering-hand speed? If the latter, look for rudimentary snare-drum cadences (ones without super fast rolls) and just do them on one note.

The bass is a drum, keep repeating that to yourself.

Trust me.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

3toes posted:

Are you talking about fretting-hand speed, or fingering-hand speed? If the latter, look for rudimentary snare-drum cadences (ones without super fast rolls) and just do them on one note.

The bass is a drum, keep repeating that to yourself.

Trust me.

well the 1234's like I mentioned earlier will build speed with fretting, I came across this video strangely enough and dispite how informative it is he didn't mention mixing the numbers I.E 4231 2314 4132 3214 which in my personal opinion is the reason why you do it more than moving in one direction only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc

I tried the cadences and I'm convinced they'll work like a charm, thank you for the advice.

also this guy agree's with your bass=drum theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EhUB1AS9M&fmt=18

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

also this guy agree's with your bass=drum theory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EhUB1AS9M&fmt=18

I meant more along the lines of theory and the relationship of the bass and the drums in a band.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

My list of fun tips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4 is the best bass instruction video you'll ever watch.

Type "free online metronome" into Google and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky." (Or, go to your friendly neighborhood music store and buy one for ten bucks.) Set it to 60 BPM, then do the whole 4132 1243 thing. When you can do it relaxed and without mistakes, add five or ten BPM and do it again.

Learn how to construct a major scale, a minor scale, and a chord. Learn what an arpeggio is and make it your mission to feel it in your soul. Read http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50170 and do it until your fingers bleed.

Download Hydrogen and program your own drum loops. http://www.hydrogen-music.org/

Learn theory! The bass is one of the best instruments to learn it with, and there are a ton of resources in the General Instruction forum at talkbass.

Most fun you can have by yourself as a bassist: grab a 40 of OE from the convenience store, program a good drum beat into Hydrogen, and play whatever feels good with the drums until you get sick of it or pass out. If you can, record it so you can listen to yourself noodling around later.

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 3, 2008

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I perfer to smoke rather than drink but regardless thank you so very much.

3toes posted:

I meant more along the lines of theory and the relationship of the bass and the drums in a band.

I'm a lover of rythym, I would consider bass more of the glue that holds the melody and rythym together. to me the bass is the bridge of harmony.

although I find myself unnerved every single time some random retard on the internet proclaims les claypool to be the greatest ever, especially considering he's so unorthadox he might as well play guitar.

Munoma fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 3, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

although I find myself unnerved every single time some random retard on the internet proclaims les claypool to be the greatest ever, especially considering he's so unorthadox he might as well play guitar.

Not quite... Claypool is a great bassist and is always rhythmically on point. He can groove as well as anyone AND can innovate at the same time.

You might want to get a little more time under your belt before you start blasting PROFESSIONALS on how well they play bass.

Wanh
Aug 15, 2005
wanh

3toes posted:

Not quite... Claypool is a great bassist and is always rhythmically on point. He can groove as well as anyone AND can innovate at the same time.

You might want to get a little more time under your belt before you start blasting PROFESSIONALS on how well they play bass.

You might want to as well, 3toes. From what I read, Akur0 wasn't blasting any PROFESSIONALS. I'm sure a lot of other goons would agree after listening to any Primus song that Les' style is slightly unorthodox. And I do agree it does get annoying when people glorify Les because he has a unique playing style.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Wanh posted:

You might want to as well, 3toes. From what I read, Akur0 wasn't blasting any PROFESSIONALS. I'm sure a lot of other goons would agree after listening to any Primus song that Les' style is slightly unorthodox. And I do agree it does get annoying when people glorify Les because he has a unique playing style.

#1, what?

#2, Claypool has played in various outfits aside from Primus

#3, I'd hardly consider slap-bass "unorthodox"

and #4, It's no more annoying than any fanboyism such as Victor Wooten, Myung, Flea or anyone else.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
all I meant was alot of people don't understand that les's style is very very different, I mean primus has thier own musical genre don't they?

but yeah, les has skill. he's just not my cup of tea when it comes to bass players I want to be inspired by.

although I would love to learn "is it luck", "jerry was a race car driver", and "welcome to this world".

sorry for the confusion

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
sorry for the double post but I wanted to know if anyone could help me out with something.

I've been listening to a song that I personally think has an awesome bassline, unfortunetly I can't find a tab to save my life and I think it may be a five string bass song *I only have a four string*

would anyone here happen to have a good enough ear to figure out the tab or should I ask elsewhere.

oh and this is the song

sorry for youtube but it's the best quality I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1_STN_GnrE&fmt=18

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
You can downtune instead of getting a 5. What genre did Primus invent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Primus is its own genre according to the ID3 tag standard.

As for the song, load an mp3 of it in Audacity, apply the "Change Tempo" filter to it and make it about a quarter of what it would be, then play it, note for note, and see which note on your bass fits the note you hear in the song. Do this with every song you like, and make sure to write what the note actually is and not just the position on the fretboard. Like the other dude said, you can tune your bass down to hit those low notes. Alternatively, you can play it up an octave.