Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My work bonus hit my paycheck. It was pretty decent, but I have some money-sucking hobbies that I usually spend a lot of my bonus on.

I ride bicycles.

I play the Electric Bass.

I have a third hobby that really freaks some people out, especially some of the bicycle people.

And... this time... well, I had some needs. See, my 1997 Precision Bass Special has never been 100% awesome, although I've put 25 years of miles on it. I have known for the last few years that it really needs some fret work, because there are dents in the first several frets from where I've played. But for even longer, I've had a bigger issue with that bass--fret buzz. If I set the action to Fender standard, it buzzes. If I raise it until the buzz disappears on open and low-fretted notes, the action is just high enough to be a noticeable problem. But, it's a problem I've learned to deal with.

Today, I took the bass to the shop in E-ville, and the guy set the neck straight as hell and started taking measurements. No matter how straight he made the neck, there was a rock in the frets around the middle of the neck (maybe the 8th or 9th fret), so the frets weren't as level as they should be. That's going to get fixed for a pretty reasonable fee, and this is a tech I've heard great things about, so that's pretty cool.

My Jazz Bass 5-string needs the same exact treatment. But, that means I have to take my only 5-string out of the rotation, and since I've been pining for a 5-string with a thinner neck anyway, I decided to get another 5-string. I looked at the multi-scale instruments, but of the ones that were in my price range, most were either visibly not great (like the Ibanez Soundgear that has a standard headstock, so there's a weird triangle on that end that makes no sense) or headless, which I hate the look of.

So... I'm getting a Schecter Guitar Research C-5 Plus 5-string Bass Guitar. The guitarist in the last originals band I was in loves Schecter, and they get good reviews, so I can't wait until it gets here. I hope my Fenders and Squiers don't mind!

Edit: Killer snipe!

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Sound neat! I'll be interested to know if the fret on a Schecter bass are as high as those of their guitars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

tarlibone posted:

I have a third hobby that really freaks some people out, especially some of the bicycle people.

:stare: go on...

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Is it hunting bicycle people for sport?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

This is the bass thread, we're all weirdos here

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

:10bux: says they're a triathlete.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Modal Auxiliary posted:

:10bux: says they're a triathlete.

disgusting

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I've been playing bass for just about 3 years at his point (already played guitar) and this year I've been trying to make it a personal goal to actually get out there and meet musicians.

So today I had a two-hour "audition" with a band who've been playing together for the best part of a year and sent me a pdf with song names and chords which I practised beforehand.

Turns out the chords and song names were wrong, and I spent the first hour struggling to play with 4 complete strangers who yelled out chords on the fly that I had to a) translate from the solfège system and then b) account for the capo.

I choked more times than I count from the nerves. There are plenty of complex pieces I can play adequately enough at home but I'm terrible with an audience and just fall apart.

After the second hour I calmed down a lot and got into the swing of things a bit better and stopped feeling like I was being assessed. By the end they said I played really well and they wanted to have me.

I still feel like a fraud I'm excited to see where this goes.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I still feel like a fraud

Congratulations, you made it!

If you ever feel like you're just taking up space, keep in mind that you're part of the rhythm section, so that's literally your job. Also, listen to the Rolling Stones, CCR, and a lot of other classic rock to see how easy it is to steal a living as a bassist.

Advice I got early on is that no one has ever been fired for playing too few notes. If you can keep time and know the progressions, you're in good shape and most bands will be glad to have you.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I still get nervous before every gig and Ive been playing bass for 20 years and in bands for 8 of that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Being anxious in studios is just one of those trial by fire thing you have to go thru to be a good practicing musician. I've had some absolutely poo poo experiences that probably made me a better player and now ten years of playing out later I just play with people I know and are friends with but still can kill on stage and it's great. But I should still try to push myself to be uncomfortable i.e. play with musicians that intimidate me.

Played with some jazz school kids recently and man that was a humbling exp lol. As long as you just keep at it with as many people as you think will make good music it's fine tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've found that the main thing that people will appreciate in a bassist is a willingness to try, basically a good work ethic. And if they don't appreciate you trying then gently caress them they're dicks and not worth playing with anyway. In the end, this is supposed to be fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

just remember most people cant even tell if the bassist plays a wrong note they just like feeling a rumble

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The band might notice in the in ears but the audience still felt the flat note so you’re good

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I dunno, I think mistakes by bass players can be the most noticeable of all. Depending on the length of the note and rhythm of the line, you can create some ugly dissonance that can really only be matched by a guitar player or keyboardist holding a bad chord.

The audience probably won't know what was wrong, but they'll definitely know that something sounded bad. Your band mates will know, though, as will any other bass players hanging around, and those are the groups that I focus on when I get nervous before shows.

Completely unrelated, but the scarcity of drummers in my city is absurd. One of the bands I play in has been using a hired gun for a few months. The other band has a converted bass player who is thankfully pretty good but not great. I should have been a drummer.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 5, 2024

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Drummers are scarce everywhere. Good drummers with their own transport? Yeah, good luck.

Every drummer I know is in at least 2 bands.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Drums are expensive, require a ton of maintenance, space to put them (and use them), and a car to transport them. It’s crazy that anyone maintains it into adulthood.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In hindsight, what swung it was probably slapping "Block Rockin' Beats" between songs.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Drums are expensive, require a ton of maintenance, space to put them (and use them), and a car to transport them. It’s crazy that anyone maintains it into adulthood.

I have compromised on all of those. We played with a drummer who was on a student visa from Finland and spoke very poor English, did not have a vehicle, lived over an hour away, and didn't even have cymbals. Someone always had to add two hours to rehearsal to pick him up, and he frequently cancelled day-of.

He was good, though.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Managed to give myself a blood blister on the newish strings of my new Pulse II 5er Spector, I don't know what the hell strings they put on them but they're rough as guts, bright tho, don't feel like standard D'addario XL's. I like these EMG 40DC's they sound modern but still got that 80's humbucker sound that is Spectorish-Stingrayish depending on how you set the preamp. I was rather enthusiastically going over some RHCP which led to the blood-blister: its nice to be able to play the high register chords of Blood Sugar Sex Magick with ease on this bass compared to my other basses where its far more difficuilt,

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The only strings that chewed up my fingers so badly I replaced them almost immediately and never went back were stainless steel, if I recall correctly. I don't know if anyone makes them anymore, but I was a babby bass pwayer who finally had enough money for something better than the $15 Darco strings from the local music store, and I feel for the high-output hype.

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great. But, they were extremely harsh on my plucking and fretting fingers. Never again. Nickel or nothing for me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
New gear day!

The picture doesn't do it justice. This is a handsome bass.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I have a Soundgear 5 with those EMGs in, they'll do you well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Filling in, possibly permanently, in my friend’s punk band on bass. Very excited to play fast, loud aggressive music for slow, loud drunk people. Unironically.

edit: First practice was super fun and I got to test my little HX Stomp XL + two QSC K10.2 powered speakers on bass with a full band, including two guitarists with jcm 800 half stacks. It held its own, I was very happy about that.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 14, 2024

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm not sure if there's a better thread to put this in:
I have a Shure in ear monitor system, and my 9 month old battery won't take a charge. I'm pretty sure it's on me, since I let it drain all the way down (which is still a bullshit design) and I didn't know they had issues with accepting a charge once they were completely drained and sat for a bit.

Is there a way to "jumpstart" the battery like I've seen for drill batteries?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Filling in, possibly permanently, in my friend’s punk band on bass. Very excited to play fast, loud aggressive music for slow, loud drunk people. Unironically.

edit: First practice was super fun and I got to test my little HX Stomp XL + two QSC K10.2 powered speakers on bass with a full band, including two guitarists with jcm 800 half stacks. It held its own, I was very happy about that.

Punk is absolutely the cheat sheet for being competent on bass quickly. You can just rely on feel and enthusiasm until you start branching out

E: level 2 cheat code is then joining a cover band, preferably funk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shageletic posted:

Punk is absolutely the cheat sheet for being competent on bass quickly. You can just rely on feel and enthusiasm until you start branching out

:hmmyes: as one of the guitarists said last night: “you already know what it’s supposed to sound like just do that.”

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Shageletic posted:

This is exactly my path. There is quite a gap between punk and funk, though.

I played before a punk band last night and stuck around to listen to them. Forgot my earplugs and I'm paying for it today. I feel so old.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Tinnitus is no joke; please please please be careful with your hearing.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Tinnitus is no joke; please please please be careful with your hearing.

Yep, I usually at least bring foam earplugs. I actually left halfway through their set but apparently it was enough to cause damage. Dumb on my part.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianRx posted:

This is exactly my path. There is quite a gap between punk and funk, though.

I played before a punk band last night and stuck around to listen to them. Forgot my earplugs and I'm paying for it today. I feel so old.

Yeah played some local original bands the drummer from the punk band tapped me for (helped that he was my best friend) before the funk band but there was big jump there. Actually got ahold of a bass teacher to help me out. Funk songs are no joke on bass.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gonna order some Etymotic ER20s. Anyone recommend something they like more for hearing protection?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I use those Etymotic ER20XS for concerts and rehearsals when not using in ears, they’re pretty good at quieting without losing clarity. If you need something stronger around -30 to -35db you’d probably be looking into foam ones, or over the ears

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I have some of those too, work great for making after concerts not painful.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks! Ordered.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've tried all the brands and loop or etymotic are my recommendations.

Earasers are really good for lower volume acts or vocalists. Mine are a pain to fit properly though and I'm usually playing too loud to use them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Loops are comfy but don’t provide the best decibel protection. They feel about on par with my Anker rubber tipped earbuds TBH, though that’s probably still enough to protect from most damage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Loops are comfy but don’t provide the best decibel protection. They feel about on par with my Anker rubber tipped earbuds TBH, though that’s probably still enough to protect from most damage.

I had the pro or the HD ones and they have a rubber plug you can put in to lower the dbs or remove to have it louder. I plan on trying the new switch ones that have a few varied levels of protection.

Happy ears are poo poo. Too small and too hard to remove for not enough protection.

If I lost them all and had to purchase again, I'd go loops HD.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I have a set of Alpines with swappable cores that I use for attending shows and they're pretty fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My homemade bass is coming along

Or atleast starting to look the part

I even radiused the fretboard and bridge

Not expecting amazing things acousticly, but I have a piezo pickup I'm going to install once it is strumming away and hopefully I have something I can take to slam poetry nights