Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
On the subject of purchasing... how do you guys feel about the Epiphone Viola bass? I've always wanted a viola/violin bass and this one seems to be one of the cheaper more widely available options in the UK (so no rondo music violin bass for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

Macrame_God posted:

I know this is from a while ago but another reason you don't want that is because the fingerboard lines aren't that good, in fact they are pretty far out of actual intonation. Once you've gotten good with a fretted bass (one that is well intonated) and developed your ears then buy a fretless.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
So I'm looking for a small practice combo to replace my old Laney, I'm looking for something with a DI, mostly, for when I want to play around with my sansamp. Is the Roland Microcube or the CB30 decent? I'm not looking for something to keep up with a drummer, just for times when I can't be bothered dragging my amp home from the practice room.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
The Vintage Modified is great value for money, the ones I've seen in shops have pretty good fretwork and the block inlays are neat, and the pickups have tons of passive snarl. Plus I'm a sucker for maple boards and natural finishes. The factory set up is easy enough to change, you can probably get action height suggestions from talkbass if you're worried about what would suit you best.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
I sometimes feel like one of the few people who like glossy necks. I've had my ATK for about 5 or 4 years now and the neck is getting that great uneven shine all over it. My thumb just sticks right where it's meant to :mmmhmm:

Anyone had any experience with just preamp into PA? I'm thinking of joining a local church band and this would be the most practical way to do it. Any big dangers/tips?

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Does anyone have any experience with the passive Peavey Millenium basses? I'm looking for a cheap chuck around for dragging to practice and the one I played did sound good. Failing that, anyone have any recommendations for a cheapass p-bass (preferably with a maple board) for about the same price?

I can't get a rondo because I'm not in America :sadface:

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Anyone have any experience with G&L Tributes? I have a hankering for a precision and I'm torn between the LB-100 and the Squire CV 70's, I managed to snag a case for cheap offa eBay so I have to get one now.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
I go on and off the woolly mammoth. I guess the main advantage is the amount of low end you dial in, or if you're a huge fan of synthy fuzz. I just use a boss ls-2 to make fuzz/distortion bass friendly

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Are Kala ubasses worth the price difference over cheaper brands? I'm in the UK so a Rondo isn't an option, I've been thinking of getting their ebony fretless. I've got a cheapo already and I'd love a ubass with some actual qc, a truss rod and a decent preamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

I can fix balance between strings, either by modifying or splitting the saddle. I actually like the rubber strings, too. As long as it's built well and the hardware is decent. The A tuning machine on my cheapy Laka literally just crapped out and seized. I'm probably going to bin it, awful design/build from the early days of ubass copies.

Having something nice in that kinda format would be good. I'm going to mostly be using it for sketch recording, maybe some open mic nights with friends (where it'll be going to a PA). I got a short scale violin bass, but being able to get smaller, fretless and thumpier is attractive. I've also been eyeing up the Gold Tone super shortscale solid bodies, they seem cool, less beholden to ukulele aesthetics and dimensions. They are at the higher end of what I want to pay and won't be in stock anywhere for months, though.