Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
This thread is really informative, thanks to everyone who contributed!

I'm finishing school and I'll have some money from graduation, and I'm planning on blowing all of it on music equipment. Studio monitors are my first purchase, a bass is next, and then I think I'm gonna get a synth with anything I have left over.

I'm pretty sure that bass is the right instrument for me, I mostly do electronic music (just me and a midi keyboard) and I'd like to add live bass rather than MIDI bass to my work, and learn a stringed instrument so if I'm ever in a band I can do more than stare at a screen. I'm good at rhythm and in my time loving around with bass guitars and regular guitars I enjoy playing the bass much more.

My budget is around $600 for bass and amp. I'd be recording directly into my computer I think so the amp would be for practicing. I like the Fender basses recommended in this thread (although I can't really tell the difference between the P and the J) so I'm leaning towards one of those, but hopefully you guys can give me some advice. I want this exclusively for electronic/house/disco/downtempo type music, no rock or metal or anything like that. What should I be looking for in a bass if that's what I want to do?

Also, how is bass amp modeling on computers? What are the biggest/best/worst programs or plug-ins that do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Thanks for the advice guys! This thread has been informative.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I got a Fender Jazz and a cheap Behringer practice amp that sounds pretty drat good and I love both of them. I'm learning with the Hal Leonard book that's been recommended in this thread and I like it a lot, especially that it's in written music. I'm only on page 19 and it's great so far. Thanks for the recommendations guys!

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I just had my third lesson with a bass teacher last night and I'm really enjoying it. He's teaching me music theory and scales and all of that but at the same time he lets me bring an iPod and learn basslines from songs I like, and I think it's a great balance between having fun and actually learning to play the instrument.

Anyway, I'm learning scales and I want to be able to memorize the different notes by their relation to the first note, and I know there's another way to say this which you guys will probably let me know. For example, my teacher was having me play a C and then find the flatted 7th note, or the sharp 3rd note, or whatever. Is there an easy way to learn these, maybe a website with a trainer or a guide or something? I feel like I could learn stuff like this in my own time after he gives me an intro so I'll be able to move more quickly while at lessons.

And playing bass is really awesome, thanks to this thread for the encouragement to give it a shot.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
So, bass dudes [I mistyped and put badd dudes just now :c00l:], thanks again for this thread. I tried to play guitar and piano as a kid and gave up on both but I got a bass in July or so based on the advice in here and I love it so far, I'm taking lessons and I can really see myself improving. Thanks again y'all.

My question is, if you sat down with your bass to come up with a chord progression how would you do it? I asked the guy who teaches me and he gave me one answer but I'm still curious how other people do it, I guess. I'm really bad at chord progressions in general but I'm improving at bass and can play it way better than a keyboard at this point so ideally I'd be able to come up with something on the bass and then translate it into a chord progression if that makes sense.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I kind of rest my thumb against the higher pickup the whole time. Is that bad?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Does anyone ITT use Ampeg SVX for bass modeling on a computer? I'm having trouble getting sounds that aren't super muddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
It's weird because it has a lot of good reviews and there are plenty of good-sounding clips of it on the 'net but everything I come up with sounds really kind of bad. Maybe I should be asking Agreed in his thread.