Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Frog Strips posted:

I try to play the strings at a perpendicular angle. But I still get the clicking from the string moving a way I do not want it to. Do I need to have the strings raised or something?

You need to slow down and evaluate your technique. Correct technique playing with your fingers is to be pulling towards the next lowest string when you strike a note, parallel to the surface of your bass. To practice this, slowly play out notes (with a metronome) while having your fingers pull through to the next string, but not hitting it hard enough to sound a note on the second string.

This isn't the only way, but it'll give you consistency in your fingerstyle playing, and with practice, you'll learn an extremely light touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Scarf posted:

What color bass is best for slap?

purple sparkle. next question.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Yeah talkbass has definitely slipped. It used to be all about the best gear and the best bassists and now it's a bunch of feel-good crap about how your bass is "good enough" and how every bass has its day and poo poo. That, and people don't openly hate on Ampeg anymore.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Jan posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and toss a TalkBass topic right here:

My campus's music club basically has some incoming funding and we'd like to invest in a bass + amp so bassists don't have to carry all our stuff whenever we want to jam. I have a budget of around $1000-1200 CAD.

That reminds me of what SUNY Buffalo's Jam Club did when we first started. The club was designed for basically the same purpose as yours, to get musicians together to play, but with the added caveat of trying to assemble bands and play out, along with getting gigs for the bands. JAM Club managed to get the manager of the local Guitar Center to agree to give them dealer pricing on gear in return for hanging a GC banner at every show and putting a logo on all the fliers. It saved the club a big chunk of change, and allowed the club to get much closer to providing all the equipment it needed to both run jam sessions and shows.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Seeing as how we're all always learning how to play a little better, and because buying things is the most important part of being a bass player, I thought I'd share the latest addition to my stable--- another GS112 to give me a great portable ministack.

Current DC rig: Aguilar AG500SC, Aggie GS112, Aggie GS112NT, and then obviously the rack tuner and power conditioner.

I can't recommend Aguilar stuff enough. Disregard the mess of posters and shoe boxes around it, as well as the fact that it's a cheap camera phone pic.

Now to be able to play well enough to deserve the rig. Ah, the catch.

Indi86 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 18, 2009

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Seventh Arrow posted:

There's one hollowbody I'd give a kidney for:

Lakland, baby :love:

Always have wanted, always will want. Darkstar pickups are absolutely stellar. If only they weren't so goofy looking on most basses. Lakland really needs to design a non-dark ages of bass design pickup cover for them.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Dundee McFluffers posted:

This is really embarrassing but I don't know how to tell which is loose. The knob jiggles if I move around and I can't tell what volume its on because the little indicator piece is also loose and spins around the knob if you flick it.

That almost definitely means the knob is just loose on the pot's post. There should be an itty-bitty allen setscrew (or in some cases flathead) that you can tighten down to solve that problem.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Dundee McFluffers posted:

The only screws I can see exposed are pick guard screws :(

If it helps I have a Ibanez Jet King

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000029061.jpg

If your knobs are like those, and don't seem to have a set screw on the knob itself, pop the knob off the post of the potentiometer. it should pretty much pull right off, or with a little bit of leverage (Gentle screwdriver under it. GENTLE). With that off, you'll see the pot secured to the pickguard by a nut and maybe a washer.

Just tighten that nut down nice and tight, and if you're feeling frisky put a tiny drop of BLUE loctite on the threads. with that, put the knob back in the position of your choosing, and you should be ready to rock.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Save your cash. For a few hundred more, you start getting into more giggable amplifiers from the more reputable brands. Also, craigslist is the home of infinite deals and steals.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Get these and be happy. Lighter than that and you'll have to build your own sets of single strings. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-HiBeams-4String-Bass-Lite-Lite?sku=101120

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

dancehall posted:

Stringing your bass for a lower tuning will almost always put LESS pressure on your neck.

Just don't put on a heavier set and then tune back up to standard.

This is very true on both counts. Smaller gauge strings have to be much, much tighter to produce the correct pitch. This results in huge amounts of addition force pulling the neck.

Also, as Doomy said, you're going to need a nut with wider grooves. You'll have to get that nut custom cut to fit. You will NOT be able to string heavier otherwise. If you don't change the nut, it cause lots of string slippage and tuning issues, if the nut doesn't just crack outright.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

scrabbleship posted:

I've been meaning to replace the pickups that came on my Mexican P-bass for a while now and I think I am finally up to it. Anyone got any recommendations for what I should replace them with? I kind of want to retain a P-bass like sound but I am really up for any suggestions that my work.

Without a doubt, the Nordstrand np-4 is the best pbass pickup I've used. It's the only one I'll recommend, and that view is shared by a good many people in my area (and on Talkbass). http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass_trad.html

Look around for a good price. They normally sell for ~115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Scarf posted:

Take off the pickguard, there should be a route in the body itself, to access it with an L-shaped allen-wrench. If you want, you can route the pickguard itself so you don't have to take it off each time you need to adjust it.

It's really not that uncommon. I've had several basses with trussrod adjustments at the heel instead of on the headstock. Hell one of my Laklands is like that. VERY early Fender basses required you to take the neck off completely to make the adjustment.

I have a 94CIJ Fender and it's like that. Any reproduction bass from before a certain year will have it recessed to the point where you have to remove the neck. My 02 MIA also has the truss adjustment in the neck pocket, although it's accessible without neck removal.

While a pain, it's certainly an aesthetic improvement over headstock adjustments IMO.