Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

My first bass was a Squier Pbass. It was a miss for me. If I have to buy a beginner bass now, I'd probably pick one of the OLP basses. They seem to be of decent quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

The March 2008 issue of Guitar World has a review on the SR400QM. The general gist is that it's a very good bass for the price. It sounds great (I agree after watching the video review) and feels great. They say it's a good step-up instrument.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

There is nothing stopping you from dropping down to D.

The biggest thing you have to worry about when starting out is to get proper technique down, so you don't develop bad habits that are hard to get rid of. You should definitely get a lesson or two right away with a decent bass teacher or your friend, if you feel he has good technique.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I have D'Addario Chromes on my 5-string. I love them, but it sucks that even super long scale is a tiny bit too short for 35" scale. The low B has about 5mm of the fabric stuff covering the string sitting in the nut. :(

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

stun runner posted:

Anyway, I'm learning scales and I want to be able to memorize the different notes by their relation to the first note, and I know there's another way to say this which you guys will probably let me know. For example, my teacher was having me play a C and then find the flatted 7th note, or the sharp 3rd note, or whatever. Is there an easy way to learn these, maybe a website with a trainer or a guide or something? I feel like I could learn stuff like this in my own time after he gives me an intro so I'll be able to move more quickly while at lessons.

I think the easiest way would be to have the basic scale patterns imprinted into your brain.

All you need to remember, in this case, is the pattern for the major scale (fingers 2-4, 1-2-4, 1-3-4). If you need a flat 7th, just count up to the 7th note in that scale (the 3) and flatten it by a semi tone (you end up with the 2-4, 1-2-4, 1-2-4, or the dominant 7th scale).