Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I'd just like to jump in really quick here;
I saw it mentioned earlier on in the thread, and in my own personal experience, all 3~ of the MiM Jazz Bass bridges I've had were pieces of poo poo that couldn't hold their action at all if you played at anything more than a light touch. I don't know if yours will, but if it is lovely like mine were, you can either replace it (I had a Badass II put on for my birthday), or maybe put some glue in the pegholes to hold it in place.
But besides that, Standard Jazzes are awesome instruments. It's my second bass, and it's probably going to be my workhorse for a long time. The only other problem I've had was that for some reason the screws on the volume/tone knobs loosened up and I had to tighten them, and the input jack ring got a little loose, but a quick adjustment with a wrench fixed that quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Seeing as we own the same bass, I'd like to point something out to you now so you don't freak out later;
The sustain is very little at the 7th fret on G. I've heard this referred to as the Fender dead spot, and has something to do with string length and blah blah I don't know how it works, just know that your instrument isn't hosed.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

wet pussy posted:

I ordered a bass last week and got it on Saturday, and start lessons sometime next week so I'm excited. Is there a good way to learn chords online? Do you even use chords that much on a bass? I'm pretty well-versed in music and play many instruments and have a ton of theory knowledge behind my belt so I am not looking for an explanation of chords, just fingerings and appropriate use of them.

I am also thrilled at how Blues scales sound on this thing--bass and blues were meant to be!
Learn your scales and arpeggios first. I found a dramatic increase in my writing/playing after I took lessons and the guy started showing me them.
Also, chords above the 12 fret sound cool and jazzy and awesome :colbert:

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I'd just like to chip in on the Rondo sixers; when I took lessons, my teacher was using a fretless six stringer from Rondo, and it was a pretty decent bass.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Just like regular finger playing, it also gives a difference in tone depending on where you slap. When I'm slapping normally, I do it by the neck, yeah. But I've found that if I want a loud, ringing, powerful open E, that I just give it a strike with my thumb right near the bridge. It mostly depends on what's comfortable for you though. As a rule of thumb, it's only wrong if it really hurts, because that COULD lead to complications down the road.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Frog Strips posted:

Quick Question:

Outro
|---------------------------------|
|-5--55--55--55--55--55--55--55---|
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

When I am playing the quick notes I have a problem with the string hitting the fret lines. I try to play the strings at a perpendicular angle. But I still get the clicking from the string moving a way I do not want it to. Do I need to have the strings raised or something?

Trying playing further away from the neck a bit, right by the bridge if you have to.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Akur0 posted:

well the thing of it is this, I'm trying to move in the direction of jazz funk and metal
While a fretless is good for jazz and maybe funk (I wouldn't know), it would pretty much completely close off metal to you. I don't know much about five-stringers, someone else here can help you out there, but I just thought I'd point that out.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

scrabbleship posted:

That's not completely true; some metal musicians have used the fretless bass to great success like Steve DiGiorgio and Tony Franklin.

:) Well you learn something every day, I guess. I was just going on the assumption he's looking for a more traditional metal tone.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
As much as I hate to say it, coming up with a chord progression is easier on other instruments. You could find a good progression of root notes, but anything fancier like 7th and 9th chords and such aren't really going to be playable on a bass (unless you play higher up on the fretboard, anyways, so the notes won't be all muddy)
If you're just looking for a good progression of notes, though, just feel around and see what sounds good together. Make a simple rhythm, and find 3-4 notes that progress well in that rhythm, changing the note you're playing every bar.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Moe_Rahn posted:

This is the reason that I'm really tempted to get some cheapo beater guitar, because it gets really annoying to come up with a progression of roots that sound good, and then have to bug an actual guitarist with "hey tell me if this sounds good as chords too".

You could always pick up guitar pro or another similar program and just stick the chords in yourself, that's what I find myself doing a lot.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
A bass with a short scale neck is something nobody will really care about. I've heard musicians dig on each other for pretty stupid things (playing bass with a pick, using an extended range instrument, etc), but I've never heard anyone make fun of a short scale player. You should be fine.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Just a quick question for any dudes who might have one; the Ibanez Soundgear series. Are they as absolutely loving great as they seem in the store? I've played at least five different ones and they were all amazing.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

UkraineGirls posted:

My accuracy and speed has gotten to the point where I'm starting to dive into a lot of songs, and I'm wondering what exactly is the best way to 'learn' a song. My ear isn't good enough to figure much out on my own, but using guitarpro is my new obsession. Does it make more sense to take every section separately and slow, or to make sense of them together? I'm just overwhelmed on how to remember anything!
Most of the time, *you* don't remember anything. Your muscles do, after being drilled enough times. For example; if someone asked me how to play a song I knew really well, I'd be a little slower on coming up with the frets/notes it is played on.

Really, either approach to learning a song is fine. I usually learn the defining section first (like a main riff or what have you) and then work on transitions and stuff.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

KongMu posted:

metal bass
A good portion of metal bassists use a pick. It gives an 'edgier' tone, and helps cut through the guitars more- also being easier to play fast with. There are some that use fingers, however (Steve Harris of Iron Maiden being well-known for this, although that's a different kind of metal entirely from CoB).

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

trotski posted:

After reading the thread, I'm seriously considering selling my new Laguna and picking up the Squier VM J Bass. I love the big heavy bass, I'm not really a fan of the look of the cutaway I've found. Or do I just get new strings and a setup on the Laguna? Too many decisions....

That bass looks pretty ok, from what I can tell.
One small thing I can tell you about learning is that your right hand position is really important. By that, I mean where you pluck. I don't know where you do now, but try close to the bridge (not too close, just right over that pickup). It's a small thing to mention and I'm coming out of nowhere with it, but it took me a few years of playing to realize.
Of course, it's all a preference thing. I pluck all over, depending on what I'm playing.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

theunderwaterbear posted:

Since there isn't a little (or stupid) questions megathread or anything I'll ask here; is it possible to play a bass through a guitar amp? I'd like to get a bass and I've already got an epiphone valve standard amp. Obviously it probably won't have as good a tone as a bass amp, but will it blow up or anything?

Keep the volume low, and EQ it low on bass.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Active/passive is entirely preference. If you want a edgier, more modern tone, active pickups will help you towards that. At the same time, passives have less 'bite', and get more vintage tones.

Fret size really won't make a difference, but some people might notice. I've never picked up an instrument before and thought to myself, "these are jumbo frets" (as a frame of reference, the jazz bass that's been my workhorse for the last 4 years has jumbo frets, so maybe i'm just used to them)

Body type is, again, preference. This is one subject I'm not really knowledgeable on, but people do usually have their favorites.

That bass looks like it's suited more for modern/alternative rock/metal, so if that's your style, go for it. It might be good for other things, though- I've never played one personally. I really really really recommend you try to find one in-store; Two of the exact same instrument can feel and play pretty differently, or you may just not like the instrument at all.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

scuz posted:

Mostly strumming. Finding the chords with my fretting hand is an understandable challenge for me, but muting the E string while I'm playing the other 3 strings is giving me problems. I don't use the thumb-over-the-neck technique because my hands are too big so that doesn't really work.

While fretting power chords on the A string, try to have your index finger touching the low E, to mute it. Eventually your picking hand will be able to just..not hit it, but this works until then.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
So, me being stupid + an allen wrench led to my truss rod possibly being stripped. Obviously if it is, the neck is a no-go (I can't even really play it as-is- over the summer the neck got a horrible bow in it).
1. What's the cheapest option for replacing it? Ebay?
2. It's a MIM jazz bass. Am I looking for another MIM neck specifically, or will any fender jazz neck fit?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Scarf posted:

More than likely you didn't strip the truss rod, just the truss-rod nut. Not an expensive fix. At least, it shouldn't be at any decent shop.

Seriously? I didn't know it was a separate piece. For the record, it just 'slips' whenever I try to tighten or loosen it so I can't really adjust it at all.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I'm picking my bass back up after a long (~1 year) break from it. During this time I still played guitar, so my chops aren't completely gone, but it still feels like a huge setback! I ordered Bass Fitness, and until it arrives I'm going to ease myself into it again by learning some fun songs. Any suggestions? I like rock/indie and stuff in that vein, but I'd love to learn some jazz or funk as long as it's not too complicated.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I've just started in this band with two guitarists, sort of a prog-rock kind of thing. They both play Ibanezes, with one playing an artcore through a mesa head and the other playing an..uh..I don't know the name of it, but it's more metal-styled. An RG? Through this Line 6 combo.
So I have these two tones to fit in between; a more high gain metal styled tone, and a more mellow but still high-gain tone. What would be a good way to cut through? Boost my mids? I have a three-band EQ on my VT bass pedal, and a 10-band on my head, so I have some sculpting capability.

edit: I play a standard jazz bass-> Tech 21 VT Bass pedal -> Hartke head/cab

dissin department fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I've got a MIM jazz that I'd like to upgrade the pickups on. I play in a progressive rock band and favor a brighter, punchier tone. I don't want to get a crazy expensive set of pickups though, just a mid level set. Any suggestions?