Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Over a year ago I took 3Toes and many others advice and got a GSR200 and besides a little buzzing on the e string on one fret, I have been happy with it and recommend it to anyone starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
3Toes you have never steered me wrong and I am looking to buy a second bass and some gear that I can use for gigging! I have narrowed my choices to this guy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SRX300-Electric-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=519575
and http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR400QM-Soundgear-Electric-Bass?sku=511825
I am completely lost on amps though. I have a 15watt basic practice amp that leaves me wanting in almost all aspects. I play mostly punk and alternative so I am looking for something with a lot of punch. I love my gsr200 but it buzzes more than I would like and I feel like I have outgrown it if that makes sense.

GetHardHero fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 31, 2008

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
drat that was fast, I think I fixed the link. I am thinking 400-650 for the amp.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
I think guitar center is just going to have to put up with me going there and loving around for an entire day. Every time that I have gone there it makes me angry because there is usually some douche shredding on the most expensive guitar there, some twelve year old prodigy playing the drums or bass and making me want to throttle him for his talent. I have played a few other brands and have always like the way an Ibanez feels. Thanks for the advice!

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Ya I always felt a little sad that I got a passive gsr200. Does the pre-amp just give you extra control over the EQ or does it make it so the pick-ups are more sensitive. I have only ever played passive.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces

Archr5 posted:

http://archr5.com/images/Ibanez%20Soundgear.mov

Here's that review from the most recent guitar world magazine.

Seems like a lot of bang for your buck. a lot of control over the tone.

(the default video size is tiny so i'd recommend downloading it and watching it outside of your browser so you can zoom in a bit.)

:swoon: I think I love that Bass now. It has enough range to keep me happy. Tax return season is the best season. Thanks so much guys!

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
chords are rarely played on the bass, they sound muddy. Lots of arpeggios though. Bassmasta.net is a great tab site to get you playing some songs right off.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Those beginner kits usually have poor quality everything. I recommend finding a used Ibanez Gsr 200 and a decent practice amp. If you can try to find a gsr with active pick-ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Bass amp modeling is pretty decent. I run my bass into a line 6 and use the software that came with it. I barely use my amp anymore and when I do it is because I am too lazy to set up my computer. Ampeg has a program devoted to bass amp modeling, it is kinda fun to play with but I stick with the line 6.