Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Since we're at the 50 page mark, I'd like to check in with everyone to make sure this thread is serving their needs. Should anything be added to or changed in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

A question for bassist songwriters:

What instrument(s) do you compose on?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So a follow-up for both of you (or anyone else who wants to chime in):

What sort of skills are important for guitar as a songwriting instrument? Just some basic chords and a good ear? I would think since you're not playing guitar to an audience or too frequently, technique isn't as important (although you probably have decent technique anyway if your bass technique is good).

I ask because I've been sort of working on my bass and guitar skills at once and kind of getting tired of juggling them both. I want to play bass in a group setting, so that's what I want to spend the majority of my time on. Guitar frustrates me but I definitely can appreciate it as a songwriting tool, so I'd like to know what I should be working on, with the understanding that I only want to be "good" at bass.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 4, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for the advice on songwriting. I think I'm going to give the guitar a rest; it's just not my instrument and juggling it with bass is just turning me into a half-assed musician. I'm going to try to do more with pushing the songwriting abilities of the instrument. Who the gently caress needs treble anyways?!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

You can take on any instrument in the group and you understand every player's role.

That's usually a good thing, but I suspect what's most important is a musician's versatility within a single instrument. For example, what would be a better scenario?

A. A musician who can play open chords on the guitar and root notes on the bass
B. A musician who can only play bass, but knows scales, arpeggios, slap style, and harmonics

Obviously you're going to get the best case scenario if you combined the two, but it seems like a musician who really knows the ins and outs of his instrument and can produce different sounds for different functions is infinitely more valuable than a novice "jack-of-all trades." And you can certainly understand your bandmates' roles without playing their instrument; in fact, that's one of the best skills a bassist can have.

EDIT: Then again, this is just me defending my previous decision to focus on the bass, and I would like to open up a dialogue about the issue, so please respond! :)

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Scarf posted:

That's the difference between making collaborative music and writing/making compositions of music.

I'm at the point in my musical career where I'm not going to be just playing with a band, but putting together my own project. I have a clear idea of how I want my songs to sound, not just the bassline and basic melody, and it's a lot easier for me to convey those thoughts/ideas/visions to the other musicians if I understand the role of their instruments and how make use of those roles in the composition.

Not that I'm suggesting this itself wouldn't be collaborative, or that one is better than the other. But I know how I want things to sound, and understanding at least the fundamentals of another instrument help the process immensely.

That's awesome. Since you said you compose primarily on bass, how do you work in the other instruments? Do you write it all down? Do you noodle with a guitar/percussion while you're figuring things out? It seems like, after playing so long with other people, you definitely develop a sense for what works and what doesn't for other instruments (which isn't to say that you would know the limits of an instrument intimately without having played it for years and years).

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Scarf posted:

Well I do own a guitar and I will play on that as well. But that's where theory knowledge comes into play. A mode is a mode, a 3rd a 3rd, etc. etc. It doesn't matter what the instrument is as long as you know what role you want to play and what role the other instrument will play.

Do I want the bass to carry the melody with the guitar carrying the rhythm and chords? Vice versa? I'm syncopating such-and-such beat on my bass, do I want the drums to do the same or should we get a little disjointed. Do I want a bit of dissonance between the guitar and the bass here?

So on and so forth.

I know it can sound incredibly pretentious and like I'm up my own rear end... but when you have a clear idea of how you want a song to turn out, you kind of HAVE to consider poo poo like that and take some time to understand the other pieces of the puzzle.

Otherwise you (read, I) get frustrated because, while it doesn't sound bad, it just isn't living up to your(my) expectations.

I think I understand. The theory you learn on one instrument definitely transfers over to the other. You have to learn different chord shapes, but other than that, as you said, a mode is a mode, intervals are intervals, etc.

I suppose the best way to improve my songwriting is to just keep at it with bass and the theory behind bass. Oh, and fun is also important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I finally took the plunge and got a teacher. Such a great decision. It took a while to find another bassist (as opposed to a guitarist who can "play bass") who shares my views on music and who could turn me into his protege. Turned out an old friend from junior high was offering lessons and we got to talking and everything just sort of clicked.