Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Pokey Araya posted:

...Battering Ram pedal...

How good is this pedal.

For reference, my setup above is from my previous stoner/grunge band. A battering ram and some other crap I barely used going into an Acoustic 370 plus 4x15 cab. Very loving loud.

I never found the large cab to be too much trouble, at least compared the 4x10 I was using before that. Being able to tilt and roll made it pretty easy to move about except where large amounts of stairs were involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yes those will both work. The interface/laptop action will probably have some latency though. It may or may not be too much.

For best results the cabinet needs to be specifically for bass, the power amp does not.

A general rule I have heard is that a bass amp should be 10 times as powerful (in watts) as your guitarists amp. That's kinda bullshit though as there are a lot of factors which contribute to volume outside of just straight wattage. It does, however, illustrate that you need a lot more power to push bass frequencies to high volume than guitar.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah that's straight up crazy talk.

Nowadays, yeah, absolutely. Watts as a power measurement are more confusing than helpful these days anyway. It varies so much between the different styles of amp and what you're plugging it in to.

300-500W should be more than enough for any application.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If you're thinking of buying your own portable PA set up then I can't imagine it's going to be much cheaper than a 100W 1x15 solid state bass combo, if at all.

There's also a lot to be said for the simple reliability of a regular bass amp. There's a hell of a lot more that can go wrong with a laptop/interface/software setup than a bass plugged into a combo. No-one wants to be the guy holding everyone up because their software suddenly refuses to recognise their interface or whatever.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

A PA also consists of an amp and speaker cabinets so you still have to buy those and I bet you'll get way more bass amp for the price than you will PA. The difference then is the effects, for which you are probably overestimating both the cost and necessity.

The effects pedals that I would consider absolutely must have for bass are:

1. a tuner

That's it. You might want a dirt pedal and/or compressor depending on the style of music you play but they are hardly necessary. About 80% of the bassists in the bands that we played gigs with didn't bother with effects. 50% of those didn't even have a tuner.

For the love of god please get a tuner.

As for the 100W/15" combo;

Just about every manufacturer offers one, they are fairly cheap, they can be used as a practice/bedroom amp and will probably do the job on stage. In smaller venues it might be enough on its own but in larger venues you will probably also be going through the PA and the amp will be for monitoring. A lot of modern ones have a DI out which can go to the front of house. Otherwise it's fairly likely that the venue will have a DI for you to plug into between the bass and the amp. They might also mic your amp but in my several years of experience that has happened less than a half dozen times.

Also, the speaker size has nothing to do with 15 being better for bass frequencies. That is a fallacy that gets thrown around quite a lot though. It's just that in a cheap single speaker combo you will get a lot more volume out of a single 15" cabinet than a tiny little 10 or 12. A 4x10 would be better still but that ramps up the price a bit.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I don't know much about that particular amp but that is pretty much the sort of thing you want.

If you are able to, take your bass into a store and try out some amps. You're much more likely to end up with something you're happy with that way.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I'd love to agree, but I just can't. Simple fact is, there are many ways to tune your bass that don't involve a tuner pedal, and even cheap basses tend to stay in tune through the course of a gig.

For sure, but that list was more about what was left out than what was kept in.

tarlibone posted:

1. Compressor
2. At least a 7-band EQ
3. Fuzz, Overdrive, Distortion (if you already have plans on using it in your band)
4. Chorus
5. Fuzz, Overdrive, Distortion (if you don't already have plans to use it in your band)
6. Wah or Envelope Filter
7. Other Modulation stuff: flanger, phaser,
8. Whatever you like

For example, while I mostly agree with your priorities (except for maybe the EQ pedal), the majority of gigging bassists will have no use for any of those effects beyond compression and/or dirt.
Of course you shouldn't let that stop you using whatever effects you want for no other reason than it's a hell of a lot of fun. I've owned and used every type of effect on that list.

tarlibone posted:

Or, spend some money on a multi-effects unit that has many effects built-in. You can chain effects for a patch, then save several patches that you like. On my unit, I have 10 patches that provide with the sounds I expect to use during a gig, everything from clean with chorus to distorted with wah. The current state of digital effects modeling is pretty good, and the money you spend on a dedicated multi-effects unit will be worth it. And nobody will steal your computer.

This is a really great idea for those just starting out and a cheap way of figuring out what sort of effects you might like to use. If you're lucky you'll be perfectly happy with the effects on the unit. If you're not lucky you'll just get a taste of what you want and end up deep down the effect pedal rabbit hole. :shepspends:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I think a tuner pedal is more convenient if you're gigging, particulary if you already have a pedal board with a power supply. There are all the benefits already mentioned whereas a clip on would just be one more thing you could lose.

tarlibone posted:

that wah pedal customized for bass that you can use if the band ever agrees to let you play "(Anesthesia)—Pulling Teeth," which you totally know how to play perfectly up to the point where the drums kick in, and you can fake it from there.

Ha ha, holy poo poo I am flashing back to my band from when I was 17 so hard.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, years ago I used to break an A string every other month or so. The last string I broke was an E but the bass was tuned BEAD so maybe it's something to do with that position.

Usually they would just seem to give up all of a sudden and break about an inch in front of the bridge. I wouldn't even be playing all that hard at the time, although I am generally pretty heavy handed.

I mostly prefer flats now though and I've never broken one of them.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, that's not uncommon with a B string. On a standard scale bass it will either need to be at a lower tension relative to the other strings or a much thicker gauge which can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

To be fair it's not a review just a news article. Directly reproducing the company's advertising copy for those is not uncommon.

Still hella lazy but not exactly dishonest.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

Pbass post. Post about Pbasses. Post your Pbass.

The P bass only has one sound but it's the sound. It's versatile in the sense that it just works for most things.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

That sounds like he was either talking poo poo or explaining himself badly somehow. I'm pretty sure a cabs bass response has waaaay more to do with the cabinet design that the driver size.

For a comedy opinion, I record using an old Yamaha 18" sealed cab with a Celestion driver that I think must have come from a PA system or something. It is the fattest, roundest bass sound I have ever heard and the cab itself is not too big or heavy. So that means you should definitely get an 18" cab instead of those puny 15s or 10s.

For real though, you just to try some cabs that fit your weight/size requirements and go with the one that sounds best. There isn't really a sound that's inherent to either type of driver since, as I said, it comes down more to cab design. I think the biggest advantage of sticking a bunch of 10" drivers in a cabinet is it lets you get more power out of a smaller package when compared to cabs with 15" drivers. That's not really relevant though if you're recording though so you're better off going with what sounds best.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Whilst that is a fair and rational position, you will have to tear my fridge sized cab out of my cold dead hands (cold and dead because it fell on top of me when I was trying to move the bastard thing out of the garage).

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I had a bass strung BEAD with Kalium strings (they used to be called circle K yeah?). The B was a .130 and it was still noticeably looser than the other strings.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

muike posted:

Yep they're Kalium now. Also the same guys who used to be quake basses.

I thought so.

Also, apparently I told a lie and the B string was actually a .142. It only barely passed through the hole in the bridge. Still noticeably less tension than the E,A & D though.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Yes Greg Ridley used flats and foam under the strings.
Jaco used roundwounds so how about you get off my lawn?

Jaco was a great player but his tone sounded like poo poo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Scarf posted:

loving THANK YOU.

And while we're at it, Victor Wooten has lovely groove and often ruins songs.

Wooten is like the bass version of all those guitar shredders who are technically amazing but have absolutely zero musical taste and produce nothing but boring wankery.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I have all the edgy opinions.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

If you're going to post a video of a man masturbating then you should at tag it as NSFW imo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Works about as well as turning up the treble on your amp to make your flats sound like rounds.

I use mostly flats but when I do use rounds I prefer worn in stainless Rotosounds. I guess I just don't like changing strings very much.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

How obnoxious would it be to have both steel strings and seymour duncan quarter pounds on a bass?

Did this on a P Bass. Loved it.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Agreed but they never seem to last for me even though I don't have sweaty xenomorph hands.

Imo they sound best when they've gone dead but I usually play flats so probably shouldn't be trusted.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Cathab posted:

I have a Sansamp BDDI, and honestly I hate it. I understand why people like it, but to me it just sounds like a Sansamp, and thanks to the lack of mids on the pedal you're stuck with either finding an extremely low, undefined tone, or with the treble pumped up a little more you get that 'grindy' sound that I've heard a hundred hardcore/metal bands over the years have at local shows. I hate it.

The trick to getting mids out of the BDDI is to drop both the bass and the treble and turn up the output level.

If you still don't like it then send it to me.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

The above is good advice. A lot of people are very happy mixing speaker sizes but it can be a crapshoot and you may not notice any issues until you get to play it in a full band situation.

Another thing to be aware of is that bigger drivers don't necessarily equal more bass. The big Ampeg 4x10 has huge low end. Way more than any 1x15 I've played through.

If you're happy to experiment though you can just buy used gear that you can resell for the same amount.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Professor Science posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassPJ3TS is 1.625" at the nut, which seems to be a P bass neck, right? isn't a J bass 1.5"?

(I'm probably being pedantic at this point, I'm pretty sure that if I play a bass for more than 20 minutes I'm not going to care too much about the neck width)

tarlibone posted:

Wow. Looks like this is just a P-bass with an extra pickup. That's new. I think the Fender ones still have necks with J-bass width at the nut, but now I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I play both. It makes almost no difference. The P-J is a pretty versatile instrument.

I also play both and barely notice the difference. The only time I do notice a difference is when I play one of the really old style P-basses with the 1.75" nuts and that's only for the first few minutes or so.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone played the MIM Road Worn series? It's got the old school 7.25" neck which I love. Just curious if they're worth the premium pricing ($999 MSRP).

The only way for you to know if they're really worth it is to play one and decide for yourself but they are very nice basses.

I personally don't give a drat about relicing. Worn basses look cool, who gives a poo poo how they got that way.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I have one similar; cheap pot metal, but effective. If you don’t have kids to tear it up then you’re good

I have two smaller versions. They're great but as you say the kids love to pull the padding off.

On thing to watch out for if you have nitro finished instruments is that the foam padding on some stands can react with the lacquer and leave foggy stains in the finish.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I know I'm not supposed to use a guitar amp, but what about a guitar headphone amp? I've got an AC30 flavored Vox Amplug. There's no speaker for it to blow. I could plug that into either headphones or computer speakers for a start. I did play guitar with it through speakers for a week when I was traveling and it was decent enough. I suppose the volume will be low.

Using a guitar amp is fine. I do it all the time.

The reason people run into trouble is because it takes more power to amplify bass frequencies to the same apparent volume as a guitar. This results in them pushing the amp and speaker (in particular) way harder than they should.

If you're playing at normal bedroom levels then you're gonna be fine.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Really? That's not what I would have thought. I don't like losing the upper mids and high end that I lose when I only run my 2x15. I'd assume that running a 1x18 would make the problem worse. Sounds like you have a magical cabinet there. Maybe right after it was manufactured, they were about to box it up to send it to the wholesaler or whatever, and it fell off the shelf and hit, and killed, a witch. Which, if we're playing by Mangler rules, means that it inherited some of that witch's power.

The same thing must have happened to my 1x18 because I love that thing. Fat but with a very smooth top end.

I've also never had a use for a tweeter and disabled them in the few cabs I've had that used them. Unless I was playing quietly with a very clean tone (ie never) they always just added a lot of noise.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

You can also try groundwound strings, which kind of give you a bit of both worlds.

I always found them to be the worst of both worlds myself.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Volume, tone and a 4-way switch for neck/serial/parallel/bridge.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Blank plate. Wire pickups straight to jack.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Like playing music that is listened to by people who aren't also bassists?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Are they still making the Thunderbird Pro IV? I never played one but they always looked like a very nice take on the design. Active electonics, no 3 point bridge, probably worth looking into if you want a Thunderbird.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

FatCow posted:

Is there a pick recommendation for an absolute pick on bass beginner? I've just been playing everything with my fingers, but there are some metal songs I want to learn and my fingers are just too slow to come close at full speed.

Spanish Manlove posted:

... Fair too many words to say green tortex...

Get the ones with three points.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Stick with the rotos until they go a bit dead and see how you like them then imo.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

It does die down and I quite like the sound when it does. I'm a weirdo who likes old roundwound strings though. The deader the better.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

As long as you don't crank it and stop if you hear the speakers starting to fart out you should be ok.

This.

The only danger with using a guitar amp is that since it takes more power to amplify bass frequencies, it's easy to push them past their limits when using them with a bass.

Just take it easy and be aware it might not sound that great.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Honestly as long as you're enjoying yourself and not annoying the neighbors, you're "doing it right" IMO.

:same: but with the caveat that it's okay to annoy the neighbours every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I like d'addario chromes since they're good and not too expensive. Others may have different opinions.

String gauges aren't too comparable between flats and rounds as flats tend to be higher tension in general (with some exceptions). As such you might find your neck needs adjustment after changing (or not, just as likely). I'd recommend going with the lightest gauge available due to the higher tension. I also think lighter gauge flats sound better, but again that's just imo.