Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I've been looking into purchasing a bass for a few months now. although I am knowledgeable in some instruments, stringed is new to me. Like Jan, I'm more into the progressive metal/rock music and sort of want to recreate that sound, and I'm not sure where to start off with a beginning bass. The ones that I'm looking at (and like) right now are 6-stringed, but is 4-string basically the "starter"? Or does it not matter? I don't have any of the equipment, so I'm looking to spend $350-$400ish at most on everything I need to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Using the site mentioned earlier, this. e: Also the two brands at rondo. I'm still looking around, but I don't want to buy a 6 string just because it's a 6 string if you know what I mean. I'd rather get a good quality 4/5 than a lovely (if the one mentioned above is) 6 string for starting out.

e2:If the 6 string is indeed a no-go for my price range, what brands would be best for my style in 4 or 5?

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 13, 2008

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a decent headset with that and start off from there.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Posted awhile ago that I was looking to start playing bass, but I didn't have the cash at the time. Now I do!

I'm into progressive metal/rock, so I was thinking of starting with the six string. The Yamaha RBX-JM2 is what I was looking at. It's discontinued, but I found some online retailers who still have it in stock. Any ideas on it? Or if it's terrible, suggestions for a good six-string?

e:Or would it be better off purchasing a cheaper one from Rondo or something, then getting that later on?

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 10, 2008

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

3toes posted:

I've heard it's pretty bad.

In my opinion it's kind of hard to start "progressive" seeing as how it kind of requires a fair amount of knowledge of theory/time signatures/etc. But if you're dead-set on a six string, I'd look to Rondo first.

Welp, I've played instruments for years so I have at least a basic knowledge of that stuff, just my first time with stringed. Thanks, I'll check out Rondo. Or does someone have a good recommendation for an Ibanez 6 string?

e: I'm going to be practicing in a dorm, so would this (mentioned earlier) be a good substitute for an amp, or an amp is still required to be between the bass/trainer? Again, yeah, I don't know much about this

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 10, 2008

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I posted in here ages ago looking to get a bass, but ran into money problems again and didn't get to pick one up. I'm fine now, so I'm going back into it.

I found http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-MB4-Skull-and-Crossbones-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515227 on craigslist for pretty cheap, aside from the awful skull design, how do you guys think it looks? If it's rear end, I'm just going to go with the GSR200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I went with the Ibanez SR 300 actually :( It was a really good deal, I should be picking it up tomorrow!

edit: and here it is!

Came with a Dean Markley amp as well.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 19, 2009