Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I know nothing about basses, but as far as guitars go, squier is pretty much considered bottom of the barrel stuff. Even at prices that low, you can do waaay better than squier in my experience.

It seemed like the $300-400 squier stuff was about as bad, if not worse than, my old $100 yamaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Mighty Scoop posted:

Haha, I take it inches are indicated with a quotation mark then?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Col.Kiwi posted:

Well I'm a guitar player so I'm not exactly a wealth of bass exercises but one classic that's good for both is the spider exercise. Play this:

G-------------1234-4321------------
D---------1234---------4321--------
A-----1234-----------------4321----
E-1234-------------------------4321

With a metronome, always using the same finger for each fret. Try the same thing starting on the 2nd fret, then on the 3rd, etc. Try different patterns, like 1324 or 4132. This is pretty helpful for left hand dexterity.

That would be called the "ascending/descending chromatic scale". Not the "spider exercise".

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

h_double posted:

you could easily build a 34 foot scale bass by building it horizontally, and fretting it with a matrix of keys connected to padded blocks over the frets.

Congratulations.

You built a really big (and stupid) piano.

edit: VVV even if you play it in a different order, it's still (a piece of) the chromatic scale.

ZombiePeanut fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 3, 2009

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Stux posted:

Again I'd like to point out that ZP is gay and you can ignore him.

Just play some music in the RAWR TWANGY scale and I'm sure you'll feel better.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

82Daion posted:

What's inherently unreliable about tube amplifiers?

Tubes can break (from impacts and such) and wear out, while transistors do not.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

h_double posted:

I was once told that it's a good idea to crimp a sharp bend in a wound guitar string before you trim it, so that the core of the string won't slip out through the winding.

This doesn't really happen anymore unless you buy reaaaally lovely strings. It was much more common back when string construction wasn't quite as good or consistent as it is now.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Ferrous Wheel posted:

And if you use flatwounds that just makes them even better. :unsmith:

Do flatwounds still get gunky? I figured that was a roundwound phenomenon.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

scuz posted:

I have a speed-playing question!

I'm a big fan of Paddy Costello, the bassist for Dillinger Four, and the way the dude plays the bass seems a mystery to me. Finding clips on youtube of how he plays is sort of hard (especially since his tubby rear end usually has his shirt off during shows, god bless him), but here's a half-way decent one, and this one would be better if there weren't people bouncing around, but there's a couple good shots in there. Anyhoo, things I can figure out on my own:
  • He plays over the pickups
  • His bass is sorta low-slung
  • Uses the thumb-over-the-neck technique
I've been playing my bass at the bridge with a 1.0mm pick and my hand gets pretty sore after a short time, which I think is just cuz I'm a wuss. It could be because the strings have more resistance at the bridge than over the pickups, too. Throughout my bass playing career (if you could call it that) I've never been able to do the thumb-over-the-neck technique, which I'm guessing would help with muting all of the strings I'm not playing. I'm also guessing that this is how he can seemingly strum the bass and still only make one note come out, but like I said, it's a mystery.

Any tips? If I haven't been clear about something up there or if you need more information, let me know.

The secret seems to be playing very loudly with lots of gain, having your band do the same thing so as to produce an incomprehensible wall of sound and then recording through god knows what. I'm impressed you can actually pick the bass out.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
An electric bass IS an electric guitar, by the way. Electric Bass Guitar is the full name of the instrument. That really bothered me when I was reading the last few pages.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, if you're learning songs by cover it's not really necessary to learn them meticulously. Also unless you have real tabs or a good ear, don't expect internet tabs to be anywhere near 100% correct. Usually if you know scales reasonably well you can fix obvious fuckups.

If you're having trouble with a part also try moving things around on strings. A lot of times internet tabs will have the correct notes, but in a nonsensical place on the fretboard which makes it significantly harder than it needs to be to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Scarf posted:

Actually, for something as intricate as Entwhistle's stuff, I'd consider it an accomplishment to be able to play it note for note. It will also give you an insight as to how he (and other artists) construct their lines. You can find some cool, recurring aspect/theme and incorporate it into your own playing.

True, but it's not really the best way to learn in general. Practicing your fundamentals and scales and stuff will seem to magically make you better at everything as you start to realize those same scale patterns in things you play.

Playing a lick in the minor scale will really only improve your playing with that lick. But just doing exercises in the minor scale will make you better at playing that lick by a good amount.

I used to spend a lot of time getting down solos and such to an intricate degree when I was starting playing guitar, and it would kind of work but it'd take a lot of practice and was pretty much a one-trick-pony thing. When I finally started taking it a bit more seriously and actually learning music theory and such, going back and playing that same stuff now is a breeze, even without having to practice much.