Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Edit: Problem solved, ignore this

buttslave fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
I've noticed my fretting hand is slow and I'm having trouble using two fingers to play with. Anybody have some exercises or techniques to help me play faster?

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

scuz posted:

There's a book out there called "Bass Fitness" that's helped me quite a bit in the speed/accuracy departments. What sort of trouble are you having with the two-finger approach?

I have trouble making my middle finger move independently of my index finger. I have the same problem on my fretting hand :c

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
So when I first picked up bass playing I was able to write a whole bunch of things (although shittily) but recently I've been stuck in the habit of playing the same stuff over and over again. Are there any suggestions as how to get some inspiration/unblock my mind?

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Hay guys one of the volume knobs on my bass is loose and although it still works its really annoying. Is it something i can fix or should I take it into a shop?

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

PenguinBob posted:

the pot, or just the knob itself?

This is really embarrassing but I don't know how to tell which is loose. The knob jiggles if I move around and I can't tell what volume its on because the little indicator piece is also loose and spins around the knob if you flick it.

buttslave fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 2, 2009

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Indi86 posted:

That almost definitely means the knob is just loose on the pot's post. There should be an itty-bitty allen setscrew (or in some cases flathead) that you can tighten down to solve that problem.

The only screws I can see exposed are pick guard screws :(

If it helps I have a Ibanez Jet King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

Indi86 posted:

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000029061.jpg

If your knobs are like those, and don't seem to have a set screw on the knob itself, pop the knob off the post of the potentiometer. it should pretty much pull right off, or with a little bit of leverage (Gentle screwdriver under it. GENTLE). With that off, you'll see the pot secured to the pickguard by a nut and maybe a washer.

Just tighten that nut down nice and tight, and if you're feeling frisky put a tiny drop of BLUE loctite on the threads. with that, put the knob back in the position of your choosing, and you should be ready to rock.

Badass. Thanks.