Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can I get string suggestions for a 6 string bass? I haven't changed mine in forever. I stay at standard tuning and play a wide range of music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I'm a guitarist/bassist/instrument holder and I'm approaching the holidays. As it stands I'm probably going to be getting a nice shiny Christmas guitar. A few days ago I finally restrung my B206 again and am having a shitload of fun with the instrument. I dabbled in ERGs for a bit with 7 string and 8 string guitars without realizing what I really need is a few comfortable 6 string guitars and 4 string basses. I love the idea of extended range but sometimes it's a little too much and I feel more creative with a "basic" setup. Anyway I'm trying to solve a situation. Do I get a 4 or a 5? I like my 6 but its unbelievably huge and heavy and realistically that can't be avoided regardless of the brand. My 4 string options are seemingly endless but I'm afraid I might miss the sternum crushing low B. I'll be playing a wide range of stuff. Lots of tech/jazzy metal, blues, math rock, jazz, prog, and blah blah. I'm not crazy about Fender but I've never really played one much (guitar or bass) and from what I've heard their most popular basses are really comfortable and great sounding guitars. I'm also interested in Schecter stiletto basses, mostly from fuckthesebasseslooksexy standpoint.

Sorry for the jumbled mess of a paragraph, I'm really just looking for suggestions. I want a comfy, meaty sounding, good bass. Oh and probably passive pickups, though I really don't know how different active vs passive is in the bass world.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 8, 2012

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is anyone else going through a severe case of "poo poo I've got money and have to buy all the gear"? I just dropped a ton of cash on a stealth Bongo 5 and I just ordered a Grey Stache pedal from the awesome Fuzzrocious dude. Now all I need to go is upgrade my Ibanez sound wave 100 and ill have a really great setup. Probably going with a nice Ampeg/Orange combo. Sluuuuuuuuuuuuuudge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

niff posted:

are you in the stoner/doom thread on TB? i swear someone there just bought a stealth bongo as well

I think i've posted a few times, I don't think I mentioned the bass though. Crazy. I'll be lurking that thread a lot in the future.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I just bought my first bass guitar (used) and amp (new), and there's this hum. There's a light one just when the amp is plugged in, and there's a louder one when my bass gets plugged into the amp. The latter one stops if I place my hands on the strings, tone knobs, or the screw end of the cable. Is this just normal feedback or is something likely wrong with my guitar, amp, or cable?

Could be plenty of different things, most which are normal. Try another cable before anything else. What amp/bass?

e: well that was late

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LordPants posted:

Alright folks, serious bass chat:

Stickers on basses, yay or nay?

Only on fun, cheap, beat up junker instruments you keep laying around at all times. If it goes on a wall it's art and should remain that way. If its in a case it should be clean and taken care of. Just how I feel.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking of selling/trading my 3 month old Bongo 5 for a Fender P or J (probably a $999 geddy lee) and putting the leftover amount towards future gear. Good idea? The Bongo is just too much for me. I'd rather have passive, 4 strings, and a more traditional vintage instrument.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been all over with strings. 4, 5, and 6 on bass. 6, 7, and 8 on guitar. Sometimes I honestly feel like the standard 4/6 is perfect. It's easier to master, fits in a mix really well, and keeps the instrument light and extremely playable. I love my extended range instruments but I feel like I would be happier selling them for a few unique six strings and four string basses. It's something that is always in my mind when I'm thinking of music fitting together and sounding tight in my head.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Geisladisk posted:

I just joined a metal band for the first time in years, this means lots and lots and lots of very high tempo sixteenths. My poor fingers just aren't up to the task anymore.

Can anyone suggest some exercises that help build left hand speed?

Alex Webster. Seriously. Study the man. His extreme metal bass book is fantastic and his playing style is a great thing to emulate if you want to play faster cleanly and easily.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

I could be wrong, and call me a skeptic, but I've always thought that the vast majority of the whole "this cable will get you better TOOOOOOONE" thing is just a bunch of marketing bullshit.

It's very true, but not in a better way, just different. It usually amounts to rolled off highs, slightly difference tone "size" and such. Very noticeable if you've got a good ear. Googling about capacitance would tell you a bit more. Most of the premium cables are actually the "worst" offenders.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I've decided to buy my first cheap bass. I'm getting a Squier VM Jazz Fretless. It's $300 and bleeds Jaco vibes. Has anyone played one? After buying a crazy expensive Bongo and being really let down by it I'm excited to own a really basic passive bass again. The thing seems like pure zen and learning a fretless will be really rewarding.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I have one but I'm a nub so I'm not sure how much of a review I can give it! It has a few issues (I got it used) like buzzy spots on some of the fret lines, and I sometimes feel like I don't get the sustain I should, but that could be me messing with the pickup height. But yeah when I got it I was amazed how much different it sounded compared to my Aria PJ, and the fretlessness is really fun and not actually that hard to get used to. It's not exactly a replacement for a passive fretted instrument, depending on what you play, but it feels pretty versatile

Thanks dude! Sounds like its what I expect. A perfect way to get a cheap fretless but nothing incredible, and that's not really a problem. Hopefully drumcityguitarland gets their shipment in because waiting on a new instrument is the worst.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Really does seem like a perfect project bass. I'm not much of a modder as of yet but it's going to be my learning platform :D

If you ask me, it's definitely caused by the silks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Constipated posted:

Thomastik infeld flats. gently caress Rotos.

Okay seriously, someone explain what makes TIs so good. I'm all about high quality music supplies but I've never heard a really good sell on them outside of, well, universal praise. Inform me!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I had that Squier fretless ordered from guitar center and they took forever to ship it and actually accidentally canceled the order after I emailed them complaining. Yesterday I went over to a site that isn't run by idiots, Amazon, and got myself a Squier VM Jazz 70s for $303 total including next day shipping. It's not fretless but I'm really looking forward to owning a 4 again and my first "Fender" bass. I plan on making sure it's in good shape and breaking it in all nice today and then going string searching. Do you guys have any recommendations for strings on a jazz? I'm looking for rounds that have a nice growl and will punch you right in the chest. Solid, meaty, you know. Rotos sound killer but I'm not crazy about how rough they are or the company's quality control. I play mostly finger style but I want to start slapping more since I haven't had a comfy bass for it in forever.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I tried the D'Addarios and they're pretty good considering the cheap price. They're very comfortable on the fingers and have a nice thick thump but that's about all you'll get out of them. They're not amazing and the tone definitely lacks punch and any sustain. The sustain is to be expected though.

I got my Squier VM 70s Jazz yesterday. I want to go into more detail later when I have time but I need to say one thing. This is the best $300 I've ever seen or used in the music world. It feels and sounds better than $1,500+ basses and guitars I own and I can't really believe it. The finish and details are too notch and the hardware/pots are rock solid and smooth. If I played this at a store I wouldn't think twice about dropping a thousand on it. I don't know what kind of devil magic Fender has harnessed but it's drat impressive. If you are looking for a first bass or want to try a jazz, please don't overlook this instrument. I plan on owning it until I die.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I need some great exercises and songs to learn to really give me a boost in speed in both hands and my ability to cleanly play fast complex bass lines and runs. Usually I would instantly think of things but I'm blank. I put Chromes on my new bass and they're pulling so many weird jazzy proggy ideas out but I haven't practiced in a long time on a 4 so I need to get my muscle memory going.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't know why but I'm really feeling Chromes. I've almost got them broken in properly and the tone is changing a lot. It's good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every B string I've used sounds noticeably different and too boomy. I've tried quite a few string/setup/eq adjustments and it's the same. This is why I've gone back to a 4 and I don't plan to have anything else as my main bass. My ear is way too sensitive for that kind of stuff and lately I'm really appreciating the feel of a smaller neck and less strings.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

John Cadaver posted:

I have an Ibanez SDGR e505 that I think the action is too high on and I wish to fix this. I had a look at the Ibanez site and they have the disclaimer that messing with the relief should only be done by a pro and if done incorrectly can lead to permanent damage. How easy is it for me to mess this up? Should I just pay someone to fix it or is this something I should learn to do because it is easy if careful?

Is the neck bending in a concave way? You can check by looking from the headstock to to the bridge straight on. If so tighten the truss rod slightly, like a little under 1/4 of a turn. Let it sit then do it the next day if you want it lower. There's nothing to worry about at all unless you do too much. It's not nearly as scary as most people make it sound. Take it slow and you're safe.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TopherCStone posted:

I think I've heard good things about these guys online http://www.basscentral.com/lakeland_usa/skyline_4401_4402.shtml

but I'm not certain so you should double check

These guys are amazing. They inspect the instruments multiple times before shipping and they do an excellent job all around. Very easy to worth with and contact too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking for the bass string equivalent of DR Pure Blues. Is there anything out there like that?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Leave it to Hellborg to have me covered. Thanks man!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Just got my MXR Envelope Filter in the mail. I've never owned a pedal like this before so I thought I'd grab one since MXR has been very, very good to me lately. If anyone has any tips for me or wants to know anything about it, shoot. I'm running it between a Bongo 5 and a TH500.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

The MXR BEF utilizes a mid-pass filter, so be sure you use a good bit of your dry signal blended in to help it from sounding too thin.

Sensitivity is going to determine how much the filter reacts to your playing. If you're pretty heavy-handed you'll probably want to lower the sens, otherwise the filter sweep is going to go wide open almost from the get-go. Vice versa if you play pretty lightly. You'll want to turn up the sens so that you can get a full sweep.

Q is how "weird" it sounds.

Decay is how quickly the filter dies out and resets itself. It looks like on the MXR the decay also serves as setting the actual filter-sweep range.

Here's a decent vid with Uriah Duffy going through the pedal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j_WqyHJaoQ

Thank you! I spent a half hour or so messing with it and it's a lot more complex than I expected, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it though. Study time tonight :D

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's definitely reasonable to dislike 5s for the B string timbre. It can be improved but it's always going to sound a bit boomy and not as punchy like the others, at least in my experience. I love grinding away on that huge beastly string but in certain cases it sounds really off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay who put EMGs in that VM. I'm going to fight them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pocket Billiards posted:

What are some good books for the electric bass? Could be instruction, history, reference or whatever.

I have the following:
Jaco Pastorius Modern Electric Bass
Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
Hal Leonard Bass Method

Bass Grooves is a really great complete work through of like 99% of the core of bass playing. Every page has something to learn and incorporate into your playing. It's a very useful book to have around.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xarb posted:

I just found my old bass hidden in my parents house, I haven't played it in about 10+ years.

It is a crappy old bass (I think it is a Falcon?) and I'm enjoying getting back into it but the action is way too high. If I compare it to a bass in the music shop my action is at least double the height of any other bass.

I tried slowly adjusting the truss rod but after a few days of 1/4 turns I started to get some fret buzz. Is there anything I can do to get a lower action without fret buzz? Or is the bass a lost cause?

Any good music shops around? A good guitar tech will set it up super smooth for cheap. $25 around here.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Macavity posted:

I bought a used copy of Bass Grooves and wouldn't you know it, the drat thing came without a CD. Anyone know where I can pick one up without having to buy a whole nother copy of the book? I'm really excited to use it, because my rhythm/groove could definitely use some work, and its hard to pick that up from just sheet music.

Did you buy it from amazon? If so let them know. Their customer service is fantastic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you don't want to get naked with that bass and crank out beefy lines then you're full of poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are Hofners as hard to play sitting down as I've always expected?

LordPants posted:

Udderly full of poo poo.

Alright now you're just milking it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cactuscarpet posted:

Just FYI, 1-2-4 has its uses when playing pentatonic riffs (across two frets) and more often than not you'll see great players doing it that way. You just don't get the same movement and sound with 1-2-3-4.

I'm not saying I don't buy that, but, I don't buy it. You've got 4 fingers, why not use them all to your advantage and open yourself up to a huge chunk of new options. That's just how I've always approached instruments. I also don't see how using one less finger could affect your sound. Anyway I'm not just trying to be a jerk, I'd love to hear someone expand on the topic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

OK, am I likely to get it right myself following a video online? I've not had any success EVER with any truss rod adjustments! The reason I'd ask is, that those La Bellas were quite pricey, and I'd rather not have to re-buy them if I have to give the guitar in to get setup!

Can you turn a door handle clockwise if I tell you to turn a door handle clockwise? Congratulations, you can adjust a truss rod! It's not hard or scary once you find a good video/writeup about the type of truss rod you have. Always adjust less than you need to and wait a day if you're nervous.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ericadia posted:

(full disclosure, I have no love for Ernie Ball)

Curious, why not? I can't think of any reason to shame them. They're a great company.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EQ, gain, and compression go pretty far when it comes to a good tapping tone. Don't be afraid to play around a little until you find something clear without being too clanky.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The EBMM stealth look is so nice. It's a shame I don't really care for my Bongo because it looks insane. It's funny how much better theirs look compared to your everyday all black metal metal metal guitars and basses.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Juaguocio posted:

"The best are often the worst teachers ask Gretzky I can never tell if its base or the base drum during songs but I love it either way sic like flea"

Fieldy: The Wayne Gretzky of fart bass.

I don't even pay attention to hockey and this offends me greatly.

Fieldy is garbage though. I know this is a dumb, pointless, cliche comparison but how could anyone idolize him when YouTube is full of Jaco videos.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Amazon Prime is perfect for strings. More so with guitar strings but you can't beat free 2 day shipping for when you don't have any extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like that last one honestly, I'd pluck it.

Juaguocio posted:

A lot of companies don't seem to consider balance at all when designing their basses. The length of the upper horn and placement of the strap buttons is crucial to playability.

It's pretty amazing how much Leo Fender got right.

I've been on a massive quest for years when it comes to finding the most intelligently and well thought out instruments and yep, Leo nailed that poo poo. Fender is still doing it today too. They're slaughtering Gibson when it comes to being futuristic (headstock tuners vs great iOS support is just one way) and they don't have many huge clunkers in terms of design or company focus. They've got great instruments from budget to rich dad level. Now all they need to do is bring back Sunn and I'll be an insufferable fanboy for life.