Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

MrClean posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Mockingbird basses by BC Rich? I saw a guy on craiglist selling the bass with a Backline 112 amp for $400 and I wanted to know if it was a good deal or not?

Depends on which "level" of mockingbird/how old it is.
BC Rich's come in a few different price points Bronze, Platinum, NJ, and the USA made ones.
The NJ stands for Nagoya, Japan don't let any one try and tell you it stands for New Jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It might just be the pot legs are shorting out against the shielding.
Holding it at 10 might be moving it away just enough to break the contact.
If it is that it is just as simple as loosening the nut and moving it a little then tightening it back down.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Good to hear it was the easy fix. You can put a piece of thin foam, or some electrical tape over the spot it was touching if you want to make sure it can't happen again.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If the wire looks like it is hanging on by a thread it could be that solder connection isn't 100%. It should be a quick fix to strip the wire and resolder it.
I'd see if you can call Musician's Friend and have them foot the bill for the shop to check it out. It would end up cheaper in the long run than having to ship it back and forth to them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Isamil posted:

I get a lot of hum when I play my bass. I can mostly solve this by placing my hand on a string(alternatively, placing my hand at the amp plug also works), but the hum pops up again if I lift my hand. Moving to a different room helped some, but does anyone know a good way to deal with this?

I was thinking maybe I could construct some kind of grounding wire, connect that to the amp plug somehow, and connect the other end to my wrist. Does that sound right?

Your bridge should be grounded, which will ground the strings.
What brand bass is it? Is the electronics cavity shielded? What kind of pick-ups are in it? If it is just single coils some hum is unavoidable but a good shielding job can help out.
You don't want to ground yourself directly to the guitar or amp.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it is shielded it is probably done with shielding paint at the factory. It should look flat black inside the cavity. Is the pickguard(if it has one) shielded?
You can use aluminum foil and some spray glue to shield it if it isn't.
It will most likely still hum.
Check this out:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/bass.php
It might be what you have to do to get it 100% quiet.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Yeah, the sound is exactly what you get if you fret a note and then hit the string directly down into the fretboard, and I just tried plucking really carefully upward and it does help a lot, thanks! So bad technique really, or can you expect a bit of that anyway? I'm pretty new to bass so I want to nip bad habits in the bud like I never did when learning guitar.

I really need to get a setup done for it anyway, just so I know how a bass should feel - the intonation's already horrible but it could be the strings too (I got it second-hand). But in general, clicky clicky click click is not a normal part of playing a bass, right?

If you are in Korn it is :v:

Intonation is pretty easy to do if you have a good tuner I think in the new to guitar thread some one just posted a good how-to intonate guide.
New strings can't hurt either.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Bass question. I have a Fender Jazz bass with an Audere in it. The cavity has been shielded. I usually wrap the ground wire around one of the screws for the control plate, and that tends to work fine. If I leave it loose in the cavity, it causes all sorts of trouble, static, etc etc.

Well, an occasional problem is the ground wire slipping from the screw and causing said issues during a gig. While crackly staticy bass might be nice if I'm doin a noise show, when I'm playin a jazz gig, that's kind of a boner killer.

Can I solder that to the plate itself? I asked someone about getting some electrical tape and taping the ground wire to the control plate. He mentioned an issue with corrosion, and I want to avoid that.

So if I solder it, where should I solder it? Can I solder to the control plate?

At the moment I merely have the ground wire sticking out from the plate and hanging loose. But I'd rather have it look a little neater.
Get a ring terminal and clamp that to the wire, then have the screw go through it like it did when you would wrap it around the screw. Once the terminal is clamped securely to the wire(you can even solder it on) it will never come off.

Like this:

should be able to get it at any hardware store or Radio Shack.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Beastie Boys bass lines are fun.
The "Gratitude" bass line is like my benchmark for fuzzy bass tone.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Achtane posted:

After applying the sealer to the bare wood body, you're supposed to scuff-sand it or something. I have no loving idea how to do this. Not a clue. It turns out all splotchy and I can't even tell if I've sanded through to the wood or not, what the gently caress. I applied a second coat of sealer and I'm getting the same result while using 400-grit as I was told; I don't know if I should sand it all away and restart or what.

I might just make it a solid color. I don't know.

Also, I'm thinking about adding an Ampeg 4x10 to my Hartke 410...is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

You want the sealer to look flat with no shiny spots. Hold it up and look at an angle with a strong light, the sun is great for this.
400 grit is fine, get a pink eraser and wrap the sandpaper around it. The yellow 3M paper that lowes/home depot sells is perfect for this too. It doesn't load up with the sanding dust like other cheaper papers do.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What's a guy gotta do to get a Ric 4001 (or even 4003 look-alike) around here? I've been scouring eBay on and off for months and nothing really looks reliable.

If you are talking about a low cost copy of one. Unless you troll eBay almost daily and come across one with a buy it now the chances are pretty slim.
Rickenbacker is very protective of their copyrighted body styles, and will have the auctions pulled within a matter of hours.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Arriviste posted:

Wow. I wish I had this resource when I was serious about learning to play bass. Is this the appropriate thread to ask for advice on selling my bass and amp?

I posted my gear on CL and elsewhere locally and have had no bites. I'm not fishing for a sale through SA since I'm not interested in shipping. Also, should I copy-and-paste my ad copy and upload pics here or just link to the CL ad? A point in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pictures always help in selling any gear.
Clean it up and fix anything glaringly broken/missing knobs, screws that sort of thing.

Take some good pictures, not blurry cell phone pictures in a dark dungeon.
Outdoors on a slightly overcast day gives great natural light.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Schatten posted:

Search the used section of GC's website for warlock. You'll see the prices i'm referring to.

Metal - or 80's coverband rock, that would be the limitations because of the style of the bass in appearance only. No idea how they sound, but my guess would be better wood, construction and electronics. No idea! Don't take my word for it!

From my limited experience with my own personal Warlock(early 80's NJ Series) it sounds like a P-Bass.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The diagram on the site shows a USB port next to the jacks, so it has some sort of interface?
I guess when they show up in magazine reviews there will be more answers.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I built one a few years ago.
For the price it was pretty decent, the bridge and tuners are ok, the pick-up is servicable. The body is actually solid wood not plywood I would call it paint grade though no real grain to speak of, the neck is needed a level and crowning after putting it all together but really any new build would.
You'll want to plan on plugging and re-drilling all the holes or at least triple checking them.
The sealer that comes on them is pretty thick and doesn't really want to come off so the best bet is to plan on sanding it level and use it as a base for your finish.
In the end this is what I ended up with:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Krustic posted:

I posted in this thread awhile back when I was considering a stock peavey t40. I ended up passing because it was poorly setup and had a trashed 13th fret, however, I bought a peavey t-20 today for 65 dollars . It plays well but it has a peciluar issue. It only outputs sound when you touch the volume or tone knobs. Has anyone else heard of this. I'm just assuming its a bad tone/volume knob or improper ground or something. I have an ohmmeter and have some free time tommarrow to open it up. Any ideas on what I should check/ look for?

Check the ground wire to the bridge too. With metal knobs you could be completing the circuit when touching them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is the nut on the jack itself loose? If so tighten it.
Open it up and look at it does it look like the wires are all connected properly or is one or the other look like it is frayed off?
The other thing to check is to just bend the blade that makes the contact for the jack in.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maple fretboards are finished and don't need oiled at all. It won't do anything since it will never soak into the wood through the hard finish.
If it is just to clean the gook off of it naphtha and a soft bristle toothbrush or cloth will take care of it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have that white Fender coiled cable and it sounds exactly the same as my Spectraflex straight one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

Wait.

Woah.

WOAH.

Custom colors scheme for $60. I wonder if they discount me for a dozen...

They'll cut deals on group buys. A guy on another forum I frequent has set them up a few times.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Did you try haggling? GC prices usually have some wiggle room built into them. Bring up the issues and what you think is a fair price to address them and see if they would knock it off the price.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Depending on scale there might not be enough room on the body.
BC Rich makes an Ironbird bass that has a goofy extension block hanging off the back to get enough room for the scale.
Neck pocket would have to be widened, pick-ups re-routed since they might not be at the right nodal points you want them to be at. It might be easier to start with a scratch built body that you can scale up a bit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If it's been converted that's probably why the neck isn't straight.
Fretting adds stiffness to a neck and depending on how tight the slots are cut can add a back bow. If you get it and can loan the truss rod completely and gently heat the neck and clamp it to something flat it might straighten out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Xarb posted:

I just found my old bass hidden in my parents house, I haven't played it in about 10+ years.

It is a crappy old bass (I think it is a Falcon?) and I'm enjoying getting back into it but the action is way too high. If I compare it to a bass in the music shop my action is at least double the height of any other bass.

I tried slowly adjusting the truss rod but after a few days of 1/4 turns I started to get some fret buzz. Is there anything I can do to get a lower action without fret buzz? Or is the bass a lost cause?

If it's a bolt on neck you can shim it.
A piece of paper or card stock folded over a couple of times right at the base of the heel will tilt the neck back a bit and lower the action. How much it needs is trial and error, but it's cheap.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I rebuilt this Warlock and painted it seafoam green with pearloid accents to combat the pointyness.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Best I can figure it's early 80's vintage. It's a NJ series. I originally just bid in the body on eBay but the seller threw in the neck for free claiming it was twisted. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.
The inlay on the headstock is nicely done in pearliod too. I had to replace the dot inlays too.
Oh and it also had the remnants of a kahler trem install that the route had been plugged.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can use baking soda and crazy glue to build up a nut slot you should be able to use it to build up the bottom of the nut then re-file it flat. Or use it as an opportunity to upgrade to a bone nut. A well cut binge nut is one of the best upgrades that can be made on any instrument.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you still want to screw around with a fretless bass in the future a few different fender authorized parts suppliers make fretless necks. You could get one of those and swap back and forth between the two.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

Yeah, not too worried. My teacher will do it for free and just charge me for the nut (he loves me :3:) I just can't get to him before my lesson on Thursday and I'd rather have it in some sort of playable condition so I can practice and have a proper lesson.

I actually just got back from the local hardware store with a small file set and some sandpaper. I'm going to try and see what I can do with this nut that doesn't fit, what's the worst that could happen?

I was looking to buy a new bass after the holiday season anyway so I'm not going to go crazy. I already have my eye on a used Ibanez in his shop, it's not for sale right now but my teacher's going to see if he can wrestle it out of the guy so he could sell it to me.

Too wide in which direction? If i's just too wide to physically fit in the slot it's not too big an issue to sand it down until it fits. They are actually sold slightly oversized so you can custom fit them. Just put the sandpaper on something flat like a piece of glass and take a little off each side, and keep testing it until it fits.

That being said if your teacher can cut you a whole new nut ask if he can do a bone one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fret markers on a fret less are positioned where the fret would be not in between like on a fretted bass.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Here's my contribution.
It's a saga p-bass I finished from a kit.
Not the greatest thing in the world but it sounds like a p and that's all I wanted.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The P in my P-bass stands for pretty
:j:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just give it a scuff sand to break any gloss. Around 400 grit should be plenty.

If you want big flake it's hard to get out of a can. Krylon has a line called glitter blast, and I think Rustolium has something similar.
There is this stuff but it's pricey. I have no first hand experience using it.
http://rothmetalflake.com/rattle-bombs/29-rattle-bomb-all-in-one.html#/rattle_bomb_all_in_one-twisted_tangerine

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Scuffing it first should work OK, but you should use primer if you go that route. Primer loves scratched up shiny surfaces, and paint loves primer.

If you want to go down to bare wood, which will be the best route, you should use stripper. Sanding by hand will take too much effort, and using any power sander will eat up tons of sandpaper and will either remove wood (which is bad) or could even burn the wood. Funner still, it could make the wood wavy and uneven.

It is stripper that you need. Strip it as far as you can, then sand it.

Just remember, this isn't a fence you're painting. Watch some videos about finishing guitars before you tackle this if it's your first time.

Strippers have little to no effect on modern polyester guitar finishes.
You might get through the color coats but the sealer they all use is some bullet proof poo poo.
Heat gun is a good route to go but can be dangerous with shards of hot paint flying off like popcorn.
If your not trying to stain the wood there's little reason to take it down to bare wood.
Spray some water on the floor to control dust. Once you've spayed it and it's dried a bit you can bring it inside and hang it in a closet or out of the way area to protect from more dust outside.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dowels are produced end grain up. A plug you can cut to orient the grain to match whichever way the grain in the body is going.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

This is a really stupid noob question, but is there a particular place on a (Fender) headstock where one should place a clip-on tuner for optimal results?

I've got a Snark SN5X and it gets the job done, but tuning the E string can be a little squirrely and it frequently wants to read my A string as C#. Like I'll have it dialed very close to dead-on A, then I'll hit the string again and it will show me I'm a little off of C#. I have to mute the string for a second or so and hit it again, sometimes repeatedly, to get it to go back to A. If this happens too many times in a row I'll sometimes reposition the tuner, but I don't know if that really helps. Playing an A on the fifth fret of my E string first sometimes helps, like it gets the tuner thinking A already so it recognizes it more easily.

Huh. I've been playing with the 1mm (blue) Tortex and it really doesn't feel like they bend at all. The sound from thinner/celluloid picks is certainly very tinny, but I guess in my mind I chalked that up to their bendiness. Does pick thickness affect the sound in some way that doesn't have to do with bending, or are these Tortex picks bending and I'm just not perceiving it?

I usually clip it over the area where it says fender. I haven't noticed any tuning issues with it there. When it's at the end of the headstock it can be a little jumpy.
I would think the closer to the nut the better it would read but I've never done any real research into that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Accidentally "won" an auction on shopgoodwill for an Epiphone EB-0. Put in a lowball bid and forget about it until I got an email saying congratulations.
From the pictures one of the pots is slightly damaged maybe that scared everyone else off?
Pix incoming when it arrives.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

With that gap at the neck heel I'd wonder about if it'll intonate properly or if the scales work out somehow.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

SCPB was my first thought as well, but the pole spacing on this is too narrow. For rewind vs custom I don't really care and would just pick whatever is cheaper, I'd just want it to fit under the original cover which seems to be bigger than most modern drop in replacements.

Just get a cheap rail type pickup if pole spacing is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a mighty mite fretless neck on a jazz body.

The body I have isn't a real Fender body but the specs are the same the neck bolted right up no problem.
The ebonol fingerboard is way too shiny I took some 0000 steel wool to it to knock it down.
Other than that it's been a fine and stable neck .
They come with a thin sealer coat on them I sprayed some lacquer on this one if I was to do it again I'd get a gun stock oil like tru-oil to do it with.