Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We're moving into a new place and I've been looking at the multi guitar stands as an alternitive to wall hangers. New place doesn't have the wall space our current place has to make it worth screwing the hangers I have in.
Amazon has some pretty cheap ones that should be good enough for home use I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I was looking more at this type
AW 9 Nine Holder Multi Guitar Folding Stand Band Stage Bass Acoustic Guitar Display Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZZ3M8J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zUjOAbX690YR8

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for the info.
I have a few instruments finished with nitro and was wondering about the reactability of the foam.
I can always wrap a micro fiber cloth over it that's worked fine in the past with other not nitro friendly materials.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's the body shape and pick up configuration.
Normal precision (P-Bass) basses have one split pickup like the middle one in that video.
Jazz (J-Bass) basses have two pickups like the bridge pickup in that video one at the bridge and one I the middle.

They both have different tones. That particular bass is a hybrid of sorts. It has both types of pickups and the slimmer J-Bass neck.

FWIW Duff from Guns and Roses used a similar bass in his career with them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's pretty common on bolt on neck guitars. Usually it's just in the finish and not much to worry about.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That electronics configuration is a vol-vol-tone set-up.
Volume pot for each pickup and a master tone pot that both run through.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a badass I on my fretless jazz bass and it rules. I wish some Chinese company would make a clone of a kahler bass trem. My warlock bass body was at some point in it's life (factory?) routed for one and filled in poorly. I've had another badass installed on it but the plug is failing and the bridge is pulling the whole block out. I either have to route out the rest of the plug and re plug it/refinish it or somehow find a used kahler that doesn't cost as much as a bass itself to install into it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You have renters insurance right?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Reach out to Warwick they seem like a pretty cool company they may have some advice or guidance or may well have dealt with something similar before.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a bass around the $300 mark, used or new? I'm mainly a guitarist/pianist but I've played bass in the past. Probably mostly going to use it to play along to funk songs.

Some sort of squire p-bass or j-bass
Hard to go wrong with one of them and if you decide to upgrade can easily sell it for what you paid for it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have an old rear end R2DU rack unit I picked up on ebay years ago. It's 2 Rats with a remote foot switch and you can either run them to different parts of a signal chain or run them into each other. I run it into a vintage Acoustic bass head and an Ampeg 1x15 and it is glorious:black101:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Put a scrunchy over the nut that's what a lot of metal dudes do to keep strings from ringing out anyways might as well try it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been experimenting with the tone of my Jazz bass over the past few days and while I totally understand that turning one coil down leads to hum, what could the deal be with the hum disappearing when I face a certain direction in my practice space? That one has me stumped.

E: I am starting to really like the tone coming from my bridge pickup. Cranking the neck pickup down to 50% or less most days. Like the bright tones I get, versus the deeper thicc neck pickup.

Do you have florescent lights or a TV or computer monitor in that space? Sounds like just normal interference. Is the electronics cavity shielded?

If it's not lining it with the copper foil tape or shielding paint could help cut down on that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

See if you can find a jazz bass special. It's a p-body with a jazz neck and a p/j pick up set.

Downside they usually only come in white or black, but spray paints cheap.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Get a white or blue 3M scrubby pad or a set of micro mesh pads and go to town.

You can use sandpaper in a pinch if that's all you can get and it's fine enough you might have to wet sand with that fine of paper though. Micro mesh or the 3M pads you can use dry.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The songster app(website too) is tabs but it has a function where it will play the midi of the song.
You can adjust the speed too.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I don't have a picture of it right now but I refinished my brother's jazz bass special with the ReRanch brand paint called crown royal purple. It's a metallic like lake placid blue but deep purple.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's what banjo players do. Each finger has a range it's assigned to and you focus on getting that down.
Look up banjo roll practice if you want an idea about where to start.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can do the coil split on a pot too.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/guitar-wiring-explored-the-spin-a-split-mod
I have my fretless jazz with a humbucker in the bridge set up like that on a stacked pot.
You can go from full single coil to full humbucker or anywhere in between.
I find it more useful than the tone control.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Beastie Boys - Gratitude

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Fender will hold value better if that matters to you.
It's a great color.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

As long as you don't crank it and stop if you hear the speakers starting to fart out you should be ok.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

I have acquired some stuff.

• Mustang bass bridge
  • 500 K pot
  • 500 K pot w/ DPDT switch
  • Knobs

And the Pro Track pickup is on its way. Somehow, I'm still not up to the purchase price in upgrades.

I have another project: my very first bass. I rebuilt it a few years back, but the Fender P-bass pickup I installed is so hot that at normal string height, playing hard actually causes some distortion in a regular amp, which is weird. I still have the pickups that were in it when I got it over 30 years ago, passive EMG Selects, so that's not a huge issue. A bigger problem is the headstock.

The Mighty Might neck's tuner holes were a little too small. I opened them up a little with a small file, but I wasn't careful enough, and a couple of the holes are wallowed out enough to be an issue with the string under tension. I have since special-ordered the bizarro-size drill bit, and it's in my toolbox. What is the best way to fix the problem?

I can partially fill in the holes with something like wood filler or even JB Weld. The area is hidden by the tuner's grommet. I don't want to over-drill, plug, and re-drill because the holes are very close to correct, and the drill might remove some more of the plug than I want. Also, dowels aren't great for this, and I don't know how I can cut plugs that size.

Any ideas?
You can wrap tape around the tuner ferrules if nothing else. That aluminum duct tape is good for that. Think of it as a self adhesive shim.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

London Calling is pretty simple once you get it down and sounds cool.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The EH Bassballs circuit is a pretty easy build and it's an envelope follower so something a bass player should have around anyways.
It's simplest form it's one knob and a switch but there are 2 trim pots inside you can make into external controls to give it a little more flexibility or just leave as trimpots and set it and forget it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Put fingers on strings make it go thump thump thump.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really really want a P. I love my J to death but the neck is so thin I’ve never been able to dig it. Plus I want that faaat punchy P tone. It’s funny how 99% of my musical desires are accomplished with the Fender classics. Leo & crew :swoon:

Get a P neck for your J

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's also a jazz bass special that is a p body with a j neck stock.
Duff McKagan from guns n roses used one back in the day.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like a pretty clean break get some titebond and some clamps and glue it back on.
It'll be stronger than new.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just looked it up. It looks like a wish bass :chloe:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you really just want it gone take it down to guitar center and see how much they'll give you for it in store credit.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have an eb-0 if you need measurements to double check stuff.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

They look like fake guitar wall decor at a touristy beach restaurant.

Are there any bass headphone amps I should look at aside from the amplug?

The mustang micro is pretty good it's more guitar oriented but I wouldn't be surprised if they put out a more bass focused one eventually.

It has a bunch of different amp models/effects charges via USB and can be used as a USB interface to a computer as well.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have a rec for a headphone amp? Looking for a Christmas gift idea.

The Fender mustang micro is pretty good albeit more guitar focused, but some of the settings can be good for basses. It also doubles as a USB interface if whoever is getting as a gift needs to record into a computer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For the double bass find someone who can do old school pinstriping on it with a brush and let them go hog wild on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mount the skateboard trucks on it and ride it to your gig:krad: