Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
So I'm looking to lighten my current rig. I haven't played shows in years and I really don't have the space for my setup.

Right now I'm running a Mesa 400+ to an Ampeg BXT 410. I think I've already decided on a Sansamp RBI/power amp with a 210 speaker set. My thinking is that this is small enough to haul around to practice spots without much trouble and if I end up playing more shows I can just DI the RBI.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on a decent and not too heavy power amp? I've been a tube guy most of my life and have no idea what to even look for. I'll take any suggestions for a good 210 too. I've been running with nothing but Ampeg speakers for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Doomy posted:

I'd also recommend taking a close look at the Markbass offerings. They all have DI built in, the newer Little Mark III's have a line out volume control, and to top it all off they sound as smooth or glassy or however you want them to sound - the EQ is really powerful and they take effects/amp emulators really well (VT bass, the Flipster for instance). Not to mention, 500 watts in under 8 lbs.

I've considered getting a Markbass amp. A friend of mine let me borrow it a few times when space was a concern. They're really powerful for their size. My only problem is they're a little TOO smooth for my taste. I like a little bit of dirt to my sound which is why I got a 400+. I guess I could run my MXR M80 through it for that. 8lbs is pretty tempting.

Rifter17 posted:

http://www.peavey.com/products/ipr/index.cfm

There's a very light power amp.

Thanks. Hopefully some local places will have it in stock so I can check it out.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

can anyone tell me about a Mesa 400 base head?

I currently play a Markbass R500 (tube preamp) and its just a bit...farty sounding. I run a tech21 SVT pedal to get my sound but obviously the natural progression is to a tube amp, and there is one of the above amps going cheap second hand.

I was thinking of getting an SVT reissue or whatever they are doing with them and keeping my markbass 4x10 (because owning heavy gear is stupid) but there isnt any second hand in my area and the mesa is about half as expensive.

essentially, I want that bass tone. you know the one, everyone does, and i know it comes from an ampeg and a fridge cab, but i want to get that close without having to have a fridge cab. will the mesa do it, or at least get drive-y enough to still be worth its weight?

I've used a 400+ for almost 10 years now. I will never ever ever buy another amp.
They're pretty much indestructible but heavy as gently caress. If you try it out and like the tone, there's really nothing to know about it. Its a 100% tube amp and will give your "that" sound you're looking for with a little fiddling with the tone controls. Its not going to perfectly emulate an Ampeg but thats not what I was trying to do. I personally don't like the SVT reissue. All Ampegs sound exactly the same to me. Even the all tube series. The only one I considered buying when moving to all tube was the SVT 2 Pro but holy christ $$$$$$.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestion for a decent headphone practice device? I'm looking at an Apogee Jam for my iPad but I've never used one and have no idea if they're any good at handling bass signals. My wife and I just had a baby so playing through my normal rig is out of the question when he's sleeping (which is the only time I have a chance to play right now).

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

So I wanted to ask if any of you have ever played a Fodera before? I was hanging out with a friend of mine and he said he got to play one when he went down to Berklee and he said it was probably the nicest instrument he had ever played. I know really next to nothing (other than what a quick Google search shows) but I'm kind of curious to hear some more opinions about them.

I once had the pleasure of playing a few Foderas including the Victor Wooten yin-yang model a while back. They are not my cup of tea but the build quality and playability were on another level. They don't make you a better player they just make it easier to do what you already do. The closest thing I could compare it to is like driving an automatic transmission. Its smooth and only requires a light touch to make it purr but its also sterile and kind of boring in my opinion.
:iiaca:

Like others have already said, you can probably find other custom builders at a much cheaper price.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Local Resident posted:

Speaking of which - hey Scarf, Bacon, and all the other performing musicians in here. Got any funny stories of epic live gently caress ups or gear failures?

Back before I learned how to be prepared for shows my band played live on some college radio show when my D string broke on our 2nd song. Didn't pack and extra bass or spare set of strings. I had to rethink my hand positioning on the fly which did not go nearly as well as I wanted it to.

I've had the strap pegs on my MIA P-bass come flying out on more then one occasion. I started packing a pack of toothpicks and a screwdriver in my supply bag after the 3rd time.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, but I did that, and I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On6bE0hDeXM

That bass tone at 49 seconds is pretty much what I'm looking for. It's not as smooth as I'd like, but from what you guys have told me, the rough bite to it probably makes it blend in with chunky-rear end guitars better. The other slight niggle I have is that it's got a bit too much pick-attack going on. Even though I'm a pick player myself and do prefer the sound to have that extra bite, this has got a bit too much for me. However, I could probably hit the strings a bit softer or turn down the treble and it'd solve that problem.

With that in mind: Is it possible to get that sorta chunky bass tone out of my P-Bass, or will a Warwick with Active J-Bass pickups suit me better?

(Or this Bass which has the same type of pickups as his Wal: http://www.warwickbass.com/en/Warwick--Instruments--Made-in-China--Rockbass--Corvette--Corvette-$$--4-string--Pictures.html)

I own both a Wal and a MIA P-bass and I can tell you that you can get close to that tone. I have a set of quarter pounders installed on my P-bass and run it through a MXR M80 with a little gain and a fresh set of roundwounds. It'll never be exact but its close as I can get live when I don't want to bring my Wal to a shady area.

edit:

Hammer Floyd posted:

Rightio, so by the sounds of things, I'll probably be better off chucking in the new pickups into the Yamaha.

Unless somebody knows of a bass around $700 that would definitely do the job better than my Yamaha with awesome pickups?

If you want an excuse to buy a new bass that sounds close to a Wal for cheaper, find yourself a nice used Rick and boost the gain and mid's on your amp.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Its heavy as hell but I've been using the same Mesa 400+ for the past 15 years. I was using an Ampeg SVT-3 before that and stopped using it for the same reason you're not buying on in the first place. I'm not sure how easy it is to find a 400+ anymore but it should be cheaper then a V12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

muike posted:

anyone here have a wenge neck? it seems like a nice wood

I did when I played on a Warwick Thumb a really long time ago. It was pretty great to play on but ended up selling it to buy a used Wal with a wenge top.