Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007
Kawasakis! Maicos! PURSANG!

Mighty Scoop posted:

I was thinking about doing this, and I was wondering what you meant by "filing the saddles yourself." Is the Badass II not fully set up from the factory?

This is true, as pointed out above. Buy a Badass III instead - exactly the same bridge, but they come with the grooves already filed in.

I bought a Badass II to stick on my Peavey Milestone, and went to a guitar shop to have it stuck on and set up. The fucker who did the job didn't know he had to file the saddles down. I was stupid, and didn't ask them to do it for free afterwards. Annoying as that was, it hasn't caused me any problems yet with string slippage, and I'm getting them filed for free soon when I get the pickups replaced.

The Peavey was a drat good bass for a beginner, if the OP is still browsing for instruments I second the notion of Peavey. At this point however, I'm basically turning the thing into a cheaper Jazz Bass. Badass bridge, Fender noiseless pickups going in soon, it already has a very similar neck to a J bass. Buying the real thing soon as I can afford it.

Going with the previous sentiment, we don't need any more Les Claypool wannabe's. Unless you really kick arse at finger-tapping, then by all means go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

crazyfish posted:

This is wrong. The Badass III is designed for MIA Fenders that have three mounting holes: http://www.music123.com/Leo-Quan-Badass-III-Replacement-Bass-Bridge-Grooved-463590-i1144463.Music123

The Badass II has five holes and is a direct drop-in replacement for your normal bridges.

Mybad, sorry for the misinformation.

Clicktrack
Aug 15, 2007

Jan posted:

You could've told me this before I trimmed my long femme nails. :colbert:

But I think you're right and my middle fingernail is hitting the string. Even though I try to play parallel to my guitar body, I have super long slender pianist fingers so my middle finger ends up striking it at a near straight angle compared to my index. Which seems to include my nail, even though I've had them trimmed as short as I can since I picked up the bass guitar. I guess I'll just have to learn to play like this.

I've been using basslines from the Strokes to practice my steady strumming, because god knows that's all they do. Plucking with 1 finger tires me out after the intro in Reptilia, and I just can't hold a steady beat with 2 fingers. Need more practice. =(

The thought of playing an entire Strokes song with 1 finger makes my index finger hurt :gonk:

So far as your fingers getting tired goes - I used to have a similar problem when I used just 2 fingers. I started trying to implement my ring finger as well as my index and middle fingers, and now I'm completely used to using all three. It makes it SO much easier to play for an extended amount of time, and also makes playing complicated licks alot easier. Once you're comfortable with using 2 fingers, try using your third a little more every time you play.

About the varied tones you get from each finger - do you usually hit the string with the same amount of force with each finger? It could be that your 2nd finger isn't as strong as your 1st, which would make sense if you don't play with your 2nd as much.