Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
The shop that carries G&L probably also carries (or at least can order) G&Ls Tribute line, which are both affordable and awesome. It's worth a look, since Tributes are extremely high quality for the money, and more tonally versatile than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

DrChu posted:

Bass strings hardly ever break, and just go "bad" because they get stretched out and full of gunk.

And if you use flatwounds that just makes them even better. :unsmith:

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Crossposting from the new gear thread:

Mighty Mite fretless Pbass neck. I'm very happy with it so far. The finish on the back feels like any satin finished Fender and the board has a nice glossy poly coat. The only minus is the lovely Corian nut. That will be replaced with black Tusq when the time comes. Obviously the bass itself is far from complete. Neck needs tuners, body needs everything.

It's going to be a highly specialized instrument when I'm done. Fretless, mudbucker, and nylon tapewound strings (tuned BEAD) should all add up to some notes that go *boom* and others that simply cause indigestion. That's the plan at least.

And I can also use it to learn Simandl while transposing everything down a fourth, that'll be fun. :downs:

I would like bridge and P-pickup recommendations if anyone has strong feelings. The combination of lower tuning and nylon coating means I need a big magnetic field (to reach the metal core) and non-vintage voicing since it's probably just not ideal, although that's likely less important. I'm thinking either a Dimarzio Split-P or a GFS "hot vintage". For bridges I've looked at everything, it's all so god drat expensive. Anyone tried one of those no-name ebay ones? If not that I'll probably shell out for a Hipshot or a Schaller for the nice finish and the adjustable string spacing.

It's such a wacked out combination of things I'm doing with this project it's hard to find advice. I fully anticipate changing important stuff later. The most likely thing is that I won't be able to make the tapewound strings work and I'll need to switch to metal flats. That would hardly be the end of the world though.

But yeah I'd like to hear any and all thoughts. Preemptively: Yes I will post clips if anyone cares but I need to buy a whole bunch of poo poo before we reach that point. I can make clips on my Roadstar if anyone wants to evaluate the sound of a 34" low B, or (for whatever reason) a 1985 Ibanez.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Awesome. They do make a five string set too. The low B is 135- just a hair bigger than the D'Addario I'm using now. Thanks for pointing that out, so far the only five string tapewound set I'd been able to locate was Laella. I'm sure they sound great but the purple silk wrapping is not my favprite look...

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

What kind of amp are you going to be using it with?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Lots of talk about the tech 21 VT but a quick ctrl+F isn't yielding much mention of the MXR M-80. I've been looking at it over Sansamps mostly because it has a three band EQ and most of the Sansamps don't (I think maybe the early ones did but whatever). Also, the MXR is pretty cheap. It's also pretty small, which means it could live in my gigbag without adversely effecting my health too much when I schlep everything on public transit. The VT is also a contender now- it seems to yield super usable sounds played straight into a board or recording input. I'm really impressed with the demos I've heard.

I play an Ibanez Roadstar P/J configured bass. The original dimarzio pickups are still in it and it's now strung BEAD with Dimarzio half-rounds. I play fingerstyle and prefer a pretty dark sound. I'll boost mids to cut through but I like to have the highs rolled back. I don't really use gain, but if I had access to a ridiculous Ben Folds Five type sizzle I'd probably kick it in from time to time. I think Sledge used to use an MXR Blowtorch for that so maybe the M-80 can do something similar? I dunno. The only thing stopping me from going with the M-80 is that I can't tell from the extant demos whether it can kick out a really usable sound through the DI into a desk. I'll use it on an amp some of the time but not always.

I've heard enough of the VT to be convinced that it can sound very amp-like and good. I don't know how it likes the low B though- I want to be sure that the modeling won't automatically overdrive because of it. It's also marginally more expensive and doesn't have the ability to kick in the OD on demand (again not essential, but nice). Thoughts?

Also, Baka Kaba: As I mentioned above, I've been using D'Addario half-rounds and I like them a lot. Some people recommend "pressurwound" strings (like GHS makes I think) because the windings are compressed instead of ground off. I'll probably try them when find a five string set, but in the mean time I've put in a fair amount of play on the half-rounds (on my third set and I almost never change strings) and have found them very satisfactory in terms of feel and sound.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Scarf posted:

If you've got the $ to drop, I'd suggest the VT Bass Deluxe.

But... My spine... :negative:

I haven't held one in my hands but the deluxe looks like it would add a lot of weight to my gigbag, which I carry often and far. I'll compare it against the standard VT to see if the extra functionality would really be that much more useful for me. Part of the idea was to have something small and convenient to tote around though.

Scarf posted:

As for the B-string, assuming you have your string and pickup heights properly set up, it shouldn't cause any problems. If it does, pull back the drive a little bit.

I might throw a compressor/expander in the chain to even out levels as well but this pretty much settles it. I'm playing through a crappy little powered speaker right now for a performance class at school so the low B is more prominent than it would ordinarily be through a PA or normal amp.

And yeah Seventh Arrow, the Dano reissues adjust at the heel and you need to completely remove the neck to get at it. It's a really bad design- they could easily have routed the body so you'd have access with the neck attached. But they didn't so you're hosed. I'd recommend trying out some lighter or lower tension flats if you can. They exist, they sound just fine, and to be honest Danos were never really designed to stand up to the kind of tension a P bass or Ric can take. This goes double for the reissues (in my experience).

Fake edit: Well gently caress me running, it appears the basic VT has no XLR out. Guess I'm about to spend some money I don't really have. Spinal column be damned, VT Deluxe here I come.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 19, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Jeez guys, I was exaggerating for comic effect like how we do on the internet sometimes. Since the idea is to carry my whole rig in one bag, space and weight conservation are selling points. And hey for all you guys know I'm really small, or old. Weak people can play bass too. :colbert:

But in any case I'm buying the Deluxe and I fully expect to love it. The Putnam mod looks interesting but since I can swing it at the moment I'm going to go for the extra functionality of the bigger version. If I hate it I can always downgrade later on, but I think I'll find uses for the various memory banks. Especially once I finish assembling my fretless P, whenever that is.

What I may do in the meantime is reserve one set of presets for recording and use the others for live play.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I never got used to roundwounds chewing up my right hand and squeaking under my left (yeah yeah, I'm a wuss with bad technique). Flats are nice but I actually like half-rounds even better. Flats can often feel grippy in their own way and it's nice to have more high end available if you want it. D'Addario makes five string sets in half round and I've found the .130 B quite manageable on a 34" scale; not amazing but also not a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm looking at trying a pressurewound set next time I change- way harder to find five string sets of those. I might also brave round windings again to try out a Circle K balanced tension set. I wish they offered pressure wound or flat sets but none are forthcoming so far.

As for flatwound B strings, I've heard good things about La Bella, D'Addario, Thomastik, and even Sadowsky. I'm sure you've tried some of those and I know it's very much a matter of individual taste but plenty of players seem quite happy with the available crop of five string flat sets. Have you had bad experiences with any particular brand?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

70s Japanese copies (mostly Ibanez but a few other badges too) often go for between $600 and $800. If you look really hard you might find an 80s Greco. Most of the Ibanez ones are bolt-on but well built. A few are neck-through but those tend to run in excess of $1000 when they turn up.

The Ibanez copies get good reviews for sound and playability, and I believe they're routed properly for correct replacement pickups if you're so inclined. I'm super into MIJ copies so I think the cool factor is nearly equal to a real Ric; you may feel differently. If you're strapped for cash though and want the look and sound for much less money it's well worth watching ebay for when they appear. Rickenbacker is super vigilant about any and all copies so they often get taken down.

For those concerned about the legality or morality: I personally draw the line at companies that produce exact cosmetic copies and include the brand name and other identifying marks. So a fake Ric that's designed to be sold as a real one is not an option for me. A 70s copy with a different badge on the headstock and obvious differences visible from up close, I have less of a problem with. The good folks at Rickenbacker appear to feel differently though.

Fake edit: Thanks to Schecter, if you want a bass that seems to have been designed by someone who had only ever had a 4001 described to them, you're in luck. :haw:

I actually think it's an okay-looking instrument, but with a 34" scale and MM/J pickups it lacks some of the most important features that inspire people to own Rics.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

For some reason I find the idea of owning a copy that's a decent instrument by itself more tempting than saving up for the real thing. Would feel more unique or something.

Other benefits include not needing to worry as much about gigging a high-dollar investment, and not playing what amounts to the musical equivalent of bling.

These Loving Eyes posted:

Oh, and I've always found that Stargazer ugly as gently caress. I like the color scheme but somehow the pickguard and headstock shapes aren't doing it for me.

Yeah, I definitely don't think I'd own one myself but I figured it warranted mentioning since it seems to be as close as any major company has ever come to a production Ric copy that didn't result in a lawsuit.

quote:

Maybe I should track down some tele type Fender.

Do it.

Also note that Schecter makes some really cool P-bass copies that are much nicer looking than the Stargazer.

And if "not like a J-bass" is the main criterion there are lots of cool choices.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I position my thumb differently depending on where I am on the neck and which string(s) I'm fretting. The important thing is to avoid unnecessary tension.

Edit:

Dyna Soar posted:

Is there a reason to buy this over a Highway 1 Fender P? I have one and it's pretty swank but I'm looking for a backup bass, has to be P.

The bridge humbucker and the price I guess. Actually I linked to two but basically the same applies to both. I think Schecters easily match most Fender offerings in terms of construction and playability so assuming you like the feel of the Schecter it's basically a cheaper, more versatile backup.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 26, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Fender Aerodynes are way cool and can definitely be had for under a grand. The Fender P-Bass Special has a jazz-width nut if you're into that and is also under the $1000 mark.

Japanese brands like Tokai, Greco, and Fernandes all made P/J style basses for the domestic market. These crop up used from time to time, usually for stupid little money. Ebay and Ishibashi are the good sources for these. There are also Japanese market Fenders (including sone Aerodynes) that were offered in colours and configurations not seen on export models.

There are many, many basses out there that cost well under $1000 and also aren't "beginner" instruments in any sense. I would consider what you want out of your new instrument; gigging? Recording? Playing at home and looking badass? There are good options for all of these things well under your budget.

If you're definitely going to spend a thousand dollars though, I'd go with the Lakland that Scarf recommends. The SB-2 is cool but I hate that three-bolt neck. The Tribute L-2000 on the other hand has a good reputation for being able to imitate P and J tones and is categorically awesome in every way.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Yep- and some of those say "Tokai" on the headstock. :guitar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

All of the big pickguard makers do MM replacements- you should be able to get one in any colour you want for like $30.