Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

If there's a different thread for acoustic basses I couldn't find it.

I need a replacement Bow for my Upright Bass - where is the best spot to look? Craigslist has nothing in my area, Amazon is selling them for ~$50 which I'm hoping isn't the best deal I can get.

I need it for a summer job which hardly pays anything, if I have to drop 60$ on a bow I don't know if I'll break even :smith: .

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

why oh WHY posted:

Ahaha how the hell did you manage that? I have to borrow my friends truck to move mine.

In High School, I used to drive to upright bass lessons with the (covered) headpiece sticking out of the back window of the '92 Camry.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What kind of wattage should I be looking for for the best price - to - loudness ratio?

I will most likely get a Peavey amp again, I've had a small practice one by them for over 10 years that is impressively loud.

I'd be using it to play in a small basement room with a drum set and some other instrumentalists, and have it carry well in a small bar // crappy cover band setting as well.

Bassists don't plug into a PA system, right? It's all my amp? Just looking for a ballpark wattage number or some good recommendations for an Amp to suit my needs.

(Clueless because I'm really a classical pianist)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Looking to get a loud enough amp for small bars, so definitely 300w+ ...

Feeling overwhelmed. What's going on with this cabinet stuff? You buy an amp, and a cabinet? Do I only need a cabinet for super huge rigs?

All I know is that Peavey is a good brand name and I want 300w+. What else should I be looking for? Ohms? :psyduck:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Yes amp and cab. Amp drives the cab, cab has the speakers. I would recommend any ~300w solid state head (no power tubes) for your first head. And probably a 410 for your first cab. Depending on how loud you are playing though, you might want to do a 810. I prefer 12 inch speakers but most do not and 15s are sort of an acquired taste to me.

Depends on your budget, If you want to do it right - I would suggest ampeg. Peavey is not bad but, it is not too good either ( TO ME ).

A cheaper option that is not terrible is Hartke and I have heard they have excellent customer service. If you want to share how much you want to spend on both your head and cab together, I can give you some recommendations.

As for the Ohms you want them to match, that way you get the optimal output from your head.
8 ohm head = 8 ohm cab or two 16 ohm cabs
4 ohm head = 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs
2 ohm head = 2 ohm cab or two 4 ohm cabs

most solid states have a minimum ohm rating and can pair with cabs that are of a higher numerical value but wont produce as much power. ie a 4 ohm 300w head can work with a 8 ohm cab but will only push around 250w.

never mismatch ohms for a tube head. never plug up a tube head without it connected to a speaker cab.

I'd like to spend around $400-500.

The PA system the vocalist is going through is a pair of peavey 110tls speakers, and the guitarists both have stand alone amps that are pretty loud. Drum set guy is not miked.

Thanks for the help. Thought I'd just have to buy a box the same size as the guitar bros, apparently not.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Still Amp shopping... my needs have changed.

I also play keys - so now I've decided to look for an amp that I can plug both my Bass and a Keys setup into.

This looks like its on the lower end of power (150watts, 200watts with external speaker), but I really like Peavey as a brand and it looks so nice:

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1072/72508/KB%26nbsp%3B5

How does this compare to the suggestions I got two pages back? I'm aware it's lower in power, but I'd take a 50-100w trade off to be able to plug my keys and bass into the same amp.

Suggestions from before included the Carvins: http://www.carvinguitars.com/bassamps/brhalfstacks.php

Ampeg BA115, and Fender Rumble 150.

Has anyone else tried the keyboard/bass combo before? Or something similar, like acoustic guitar / bass on the same amp?

Edit: Here's a slightly more powerful Keyboard amp - this looks functionally identical to the KB 5, yes? http://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnhrjrhoo

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

This is a SansAmp VT Bass? Bad price?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=used