Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElJuapeador
Dec 26, 2007
My undying love of Ronnie James Dio got me banned.

el Trentoro posted:

Hey, I've been playing for a few years now and I'm starting lessons for a music major soon. I asked my teacher to recommend me a method book for learning sight-reading and just to improve all around in general, and he suggested New Method for the Double Bass by F. Simandl: http://www.amazon.com/New-Method-Double-Bass-Book/dp/0825801524

It's for upright, but evidently all the examples and lessons and whatnot apply just as well to the electric. So you might want to check that out if you're into sight-reading and learning theory... even though you like the harder rock stuff more, can't hurt to try something new, right?

Simandl is great if you're playing double bass. On electric, not so much. Simandl is designed specifically to educate the beginning bass player on the basic whole-step hand positions. Electric bass playing isnt very well suited using the hand positions put forth in Simandl (I should know, I always lapse into it when I'm doing any sort of intensive sightreading on electric and it makes a mess out of my technique.)

There's an excellent book called "Building walking bass lines" designed for electric bass that teaches hand positions, note reading, and music theory in a way that I feel is very effective. I've used it with several students since I've discovered it and it's worked wonders. The premise of the book comes from a jazz/blues standpoint, but everything in the book can be applied to any style of music you'd want to play, and it also gives you a nice beginning background in jazz in case anyone ever asks you to jam with them out of The Real Book or something.

I must confess I forget the name of the author, I leant my personal copy out to a student a few years ago and never got it back. Look it up, though, it makes an excellent self-teaching method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU