Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Xankrys posted:

Thumb up, right by the bridge. Get a solid slap sound on all four strings.

Bass is a cheapo single pickup piece of poo poo. Get a nice solid slapping tone out of it with no issues, and it doesn't hurt. But since I've yet to take a formal lesson, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't OMGVERBOTTEN or something.

If it works, go for it. Personally, I make a point of learning how it's meant to be done in addition to heading off in my own direction. This has only helped my playing and my confidence to be able to just pick a bass up and run with it in whatever way seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Book I Read
Jan 15, 2008
Have to sing about it.

Jan posted:

Keep at it if you're feeling persistent, or do something else. In my experience, it doesn't matter much.

A friend of mine told me something that made a lot of sense given my own learning experience: Learning an instrument seems to be about plateaus. You'll practice, get better, practice, get better, practice, and suddenly you hit a wall. Whether you change your exercises or keep at it doesn't make much of a difference, you just can't get this one thing right. The only thing to it is to keep on practicing and not give up, even if it feels like wasted time. Then, one day, you pick up your guitar and that hurdle is gone.

Everyone hits those, and they get longer to overcome as you get better. The only thing talent does is make those plateaus shorter. ;)

This is completely true. When you're first learning an instrument, it feels amazing to be able to go back to songs that ruined your poo poo before and just play them competently and consistently without even trying. However, this only happens if you practice regularly, so just keep working at it and you'll get there.