Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Scarf posted:

Here's some more accurate pics of the color:

In other news... still waiting on my hollowbody :(

I don't get it, what's supposed to be so awesome about it... especially the color? That shade of green just looks like tacky, cheap plastic finish to me. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Tabs on the whole are a horrible learning practice. All they'll do is make you parrot some talentless hack's interpretation of an otherwise awesome bass line.

The best thing to do in the long run (and not the easiest, mind you) would be to properly learn the notes you're playing, then just reproduce good basslines by ear using that learning. You'll see common patterns emerge and it'll become a lot easier to figure out what bassists are playing just by listening to it.

Or you can follow some music theory classes, too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I'm also trying to keep my fingers alternating instead of doing any 'economy picking' (like playing a string, having that finger come to rest against the lower one, and if I'm playing that string next using the same finger as it's already there) - or is that actually a good thing?

The only downside to raking is it can be harder at first to follow a steady beat as opposed to alternating. Personally, I find it more confusing to switch fingers again.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

ZetsurinPower posted:

1971 Gibson EB-0

Nothing to contribute, I just wanted to say I'm really jealous. :swoon:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Kynetx posted:

It has a cock. Do you like the cock? If so, get a Corvette. If you just like ugly basses, there's always the Danelectro Longhorn.

Yes, I will readily admit that I wouldn't play an ugly bass even if Jesus Christ was my luthier.

But what if was Carl Thompson? That ought to tip the scales.

Fake edit: Oh wait, what a dumb idea, there's no such thing as an ugly Carl Thompson bass.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, quick question from a noob. I've got a little bass practice amp for messing around on my bass. Any reason a buddy couldn't borrow it to run his guitar through for a while? I know you don't want to run a bass through a guitar amp, but does the opposite hold up?

It's doable, but the won't be very bright, obviously.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

warwick5s posted:

Oh god. I had to carry a stupid Workingman 15 for like three blocks a few months ago in SF. I loving hate heavy gear.

I refuse to carry anything larger than a microcube without a trolley. I once schlepped a meager SWR LA-15 over five or six blocks and a bus ride, and my arms ached too much to play afterwards. :suicide:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Hey guys - if you're playing a bassline with palm muting, would you use some special fingerstyle technique or just grab a pick?

I normally use both my thumb and index when palm muting. Most of the time I'll be using my thumb only for my E-A-D strings and index for G but it really depends on what feels most comfortable at the time.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I r Pat posted:

Hey guys, I posted this in the small questions thread as well but this thread seems to be filled with knowledge as well..

I'm looking for something small and cheap to record direct to the PC via USB. I have a bunch of inputs hooked up to a loop pedal, so it will only need to have one input for the main signal, then an output for my amp, and of course a USB connection.

If you have any suggestions post em here! The cheaper the better.. looking for something simple to get my ideas out of my head and onto an mp3..

There aren't any really cheap and small solutions when it comes to USB devices.

Here's the cheapest solution I know of: just turn the volume completely down on your bass, patch directly into your sound card's line-in, and then turn the volume up until you've got something that looks reasonable in your audio software.

Note that if you're using Windows, you likely won't get great latency. If that's the case, see if your sound card and software supports ASIO -- that'll get latency down to reasonable levels.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I'm a huge fan of Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)'s chorus bassline. Kinda melodic, stands on its own and requires just enough talent to get it in time with the rest of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Hekat posted:

Total noob here. I have my first bass in the mail (just shipped today!). The mistake I begin to think I made was to get the 5 string. All the training vids I see are done on 4 string guitars.

My question is, is a 5 string essentially a 4-string guitar with an extra low(or high?) string slapped on that I can ignore as I follow these training vids, or does the 5th string actually screw with my octaves or pentatonic whooziewatsit ect ect?

You'll be fine. It'll change positioning slightly, but you can still play anything just by ignoring the extra string.

Still, when just doing scales and the like, practice on the B string anyway, just to get used to playing 5-string as well.